On 12/2/2017 at 15:03, KevinS said:

“We will pay you 50% of a direct sale made by Alamy” -Contributors Home Page
This is misleading to anyone contemplating joining, and should be changed.

The way I read things, the affiliate scheme isn't really for Alamy contributors to join.. it's for people with websites.. which might happen to be alamy contributors. If you follow the links, you end up filling out forms on the Rakuten website. (although I might be missing something).

I see no way opt in/out as an Alamy Contributor.

2 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

The way I read things, the affiliate scheme isn't really for Alamy contributors to join.. it's for people with websites.. which might happen to be alamy contributors. If you follow the links, you end up filling out forms on the Rakuten website. (although I might be missing something).

I see no way opt in/out as an Alamy Contributor.

Sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant people contemplating joining Alamy. Affiliate sales are one more example of sales where the contributor gets less than 50%; the trend, I'm afraid.

The affiliate scheme is similar to the distributor sheme, as you pointed out earlier. Alamy should add affiliate sales to the commission table, or at least offer an opt out for Alamy contributors. AFAIK all Alamy images are available for affiliate sales. 

Edited by KevinS

I tried without success to find out how Alamy came up with the 38.5% deal. But I did just receive this from CR;

The affiliate scheme is currently laid out as ‘deductions’ and these deductions aren’t specified but these sales are not direct sales, they involve a third party and do not lie outside the contract.

The affiliate commission has recently been changed and we will be laying out the exact commission in the upcoming contributor contract which will be released soon.

If you don’t agree to these changes then you are welcome to terminate you contract with Alamy.

2 minutes ago, KevinS said:

commission in the upcoming contributor contract which will be released soon.

If you don’t agree to these changes then you are welcome to terminate you contract with Alamy.

In other words,take it or leave it.

• 3 years later...

Did Alamy ever update the website with details of the Affiliate Programme commission split? The blog entry has vanished:

https://www.alamy.com/blog/get-started-alamys-affiliate-programme

Why I should surrender 56.5% of the pathetic licence fee without opting in, no ability to opt out, and zero transparency about who benefits, is unclear to me. 

What is to prevent Alamy's media shareholders from following their own affiliate links and receiving a 10% discount?!

Edited by hotbrightsky
  • Like 1