Advice on my portfolio

On 25/11/2017 at 11:41, spacecadet said:

Alamy have said here, quite recently, that the deliberate inclusion of spelling mistakes may be penalised by the search engine in future So, your call.

It's pretty bizarre. Alamy have chosen not to help potential buyers who make a typo, or just don't know how something is spelled (e.g. Hillary Clinton with 2 ls, or Nikola Tesla as said above), by making suggestions, like most other agencies do, and people are used to on e.g. Google, yet they would penalise suppliers from trying to help buyers in this way?

Of course, we can check how HC or NT is spelled, but why put a barrier in the way of buyers?

19 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I understand it to be a function of the search engine, not a policy decision.

I mmentioned it as some contributors seemed unaware of it, not to start a debate about it.

I was unaware of it, and I wasn't taking issue with you (I hope that was clear!); but functions of the search engine are, effectively, policy decisions.

On 25/11/2017 at 12:23, Allan Bell said:

It will have a list embedded of every word in the English language according to the Oxford dictionary. If your word does not match the image will be thrown out.:D

Allan

Even if it was practical to implement some over the top processing intensive mechanism to detect spelling mistakes, how would it be able to deduce that the spelling mistakes were deliberate or by accident? 

Thank you All for constructive feedback on my portfolio! I’m impressed with the number, thoroughness and quality. Much appreciated!

I’m also glad that this topic has developed further in a new direction J

I’ve started slowly to tighten my portfolio based on your advices, especially when it comes to similars, licenses, captions and key wording.

…and last but not least, there was one sale ($22) in the meantime J

And this is actually quite interesting (probably a topic for a spate discussion) – there is a sale but the picture was zoomed long time ago…

On 11/25/2017 at 02:21, Betty LaRue said:

My opinion of similars is this. When you have more than 5 images of the same subject.  Shot from the same angle. 8-10 shots of a dog romping in the yard.  Yes,  each pose may be different because the dog is moving around, but pick two or three of the best and only upload those. So you have a distant shot of a landscape in horizontal. Then you have a vertical shot of the same scene, distant also. Then you zoom in, make a horizontal and a vertical. You have 4 of that same scene, but you’ve served any buyers wanting horizontal or vertical, or distant or closeup. 

I have seen a whole Alamy page in years past of a scene, and it was hard to tell any differences between them. When there are that many, my eyes glaze over and I find myself uninterested in looking at any of them out of sheer boredom.

Besides the fact that a lot of views of the same subject hurts your Click Through Rate which can ultimately cause your images to sink toward the back pages of a search.

I’m sure there are other contributors here who can explain it better, or have a different perspective about how many similars are too many.

Betty

Extremely useful! I doubt this could be explained better! Thank you very much Betty

On 11/25/2017 at 12:30, wiskerke said:

What do you think?

If it's relevant stick it in. But only if it's in the image. AoA is your friend.

wim

Jill, MariaJ and RedSnapper, ACC, wiskerke and others,

Thank you for this. It seems that key wording is a science for itself. Lots of things to learn here.....

On 11/27/2017 at 22:18, andremichel said:

Even if it was practical to implement some over the top processing intensive mechanism to detect spelling mistakes, how would it be able to deduce that the spelling mistakes were deliberate or by accident? 

On top of using proper English (no matter how it is defined) we also have differences between American / British English. But this is a minor issue. The most important is that such a mechanism would not allow us to use names (locations etc.) in local languages which does not make much sense. 

There are agencies that use such a mechanism of giving you option to choose from menu of available key words which automatically limits your options to properly key word your image. Not a good solution for both suppliers and buyers....  

Archived