Having to sign in twice?

Oh, glad I found this thread. Reading that it could take more than a few attempts is a relief of sorts! Had problems yesterday and last week trying to sign in from my mobile. I frequently switch between logging in on my home PC, the laptop and my mobile, that may or may not have something to do with it. I was logged in to upload some news images last night with the laptop, then packed up the laptop and tried to just briefly check if the images had gone into the news feed. Couldn't log in from the mobile phone (not changed any settings and previously no problems logging in). Same happened a few days ago. Perhaps it causes issues when not sufficient time has passed between the login on the other device (laptop in that instance)?

Same issue as Phil Robinson - filled in pw and username on the intro page, goes straight to the front page but shows as "not signed in". Repeated twice and gave up, had to unpack the laptop and it logged me in without probs. So next time I'll just keep trying to log in a few more times! 

PS. I've not had the captchas for a few months now. Before that, they seemed to make random appearances. No prob on big screens, but they're very tricky to do on a mobile phone.

1 hour ago, imageplotter said:

Oh, glad I found this thread. Reading that it could take more than a few attempts is a relief of sorts! Had problems yesterday and last week trying to sign in from my mobile. I frequently switch between logging in on my home PC, the laptop and my mobile, that may or may not have something to do with it. I was logged in to upload some news images last night with the laptop, then packed up the laptop and tried to just briefly check if the images had gone into the news feed. Couldn't log in from the mobile phone (not changed any settings and previously no problems logging in). Same happened a few days ago. Perhaps it causes issues when not sufficient time has passed between the login on the other device (laptop in that instance)?

Same issue as Phil Robinson - filled in pw and username on the intro page, goes straight to the front page but shows as "not signed in". Repeated twice and gave up, had to unpack the laptop and it logged me in without probs. So next time I'll just keep trying to log in a few more times! 

PS. I've not had the captchas for a few months now. Before that, they seemed to make random appearances. No prob on big screens, but they're very tricky to do on a mobile phone.

50 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

It's still coming and going. Only in FF though. So i use Chrome when it kicks off.

I only use Chrome to log-in, but in the instance i'm talking about it apparently kicked me off and wouldn't allow me back in when trying to view through the "have you found" thread. In all other posts I clicked into I was still logged in. Weird!

It is getting really infuriating.

Not only having to sign into the forum two or three times, but then, when clicking on the next stage 'Ask the forum' for example, finding that I'm not signed in to that and having to identify more unrecognisable apartment blocks.

Can this please STOP now.

Getting it to work properly would be good.

Getting rid of it altogether would be better.

3 hours ago, Phil Robinson said:

It is getting really infuriating.

Not only having to sign into the forum two or three times, but then, when clicking on the next stage 'Ask the forum' for example, finding that I'm not signed in to that and having to identify more unrecognisable apartment blocks.

Can this please STOP now.

Getting it to work properly would be good.

Getting rid of it altogether would be better.

I've been fine logging in to Alamy, but logging into the forum this & last week, it's showing as i'm not logged in, until I click on the question, then it seems to alternate, between showing I am logged in and then saying I'm not logged in??

5 hours ago, ChrisC said:

I've been fine logging in to Alamy, but logging into the forum this & last week, it's showing as i'm not logged in, until I click on the question, then it seems to alternate, between showing I am logged in and then saying I'm not logged in??

Exactly. It's so unpredicatable

• 8 months later...

I may disappear from these forums, not because I have any problem with the people here, far from it, but because Captcha is now totally over the top. It is harder to get into these forums than my bank or investment accounts or even my financial details on Alamy!

This morning I had to click on over 20 squares on 5 or more pages; I am not into guessing games as to what counts as a road sign or a storefront or whatever. Ridiculous! I am not going to waste my time jumping through these hoops every time I login, so if it is anyhow similar next time I will be abandoning Alamy forums, I had already reduced my visit frequency to my dashboard for the same reason, and that there is nothing of interest to see :( It now happens every time I try to login here, I delete cookies each time I exit my browser and I have private/ do not track browsing switched on as default. I am grumpy as I was told by Alamy months ago that it was to disappear, even given a date.

If that happens I will miss you folk.

11 hours ago, Martin P Wilson said:

I may disappear from these forums, not because I have any problem with the people here, far from it, but because Captcha is now totally over the top. It is harder to get into these forums than my bank or investment accounts or even my financial details on Alamy!

This morning I had to click on over 20 squares on 5 or more pages; I am not into guessing games as to what counts as a road sign or a storefront or whatever. Ridiculous! I am not going to waste my time jumping through these hoops every time I login, so if it is anyhow similar next time I will be abandoning Alamy forums, I had already reduced my visit frequency to my dashboard for the same reason, and that there is nothing of interest to see :( It now happens every time I try to login here, I delete cookies each time I exit my browser and I have private/ do not track browsing switched on as default. I am grumpy as I was told by Alamy months ago that it was to disappear, even given a date.

If that happens I will miss you folk.

Have you disabled tracking protection for this domain in your browser?

wim

It has taken me around 20 pages of damn street signs, cars,  storefronts to be able to sign in today. The captcha box would go away, back to the sign in box, I'd click and it would all start again. I gave up on Chrome and tried Opera.....same thing. Back to Chrome and off it went again, more boxes, one after another, after another. I closed my browser and came back to find I'm logged in......just have a few bald spots from the hair I've been ripping out!

8 hours ago, cbimages said:

It has taken me around 20 pages of damn street signs, cars,  storefronts to be able to sign in today. The captcha box would go away, back to the sign in box, I'd click and it would all start again. I gave up on Chrome and tried Opera.....same thing. Back to Chrome and off it went again, more boxes, one after another, after another. I closed my browser and came back to find I'm logged in......just have a few bald spots from the hair I've been ripping out!

Have you tried disabling tracking protection for this domain in your browser?

wim

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

It's only an occasional problem for me, but that's not something I'd heard about- done. Thanks.

Now keep us posted please. So far it's only a theory. It worked for me, but it could be that all the other things I've tried worked as well.

wim

13 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Thanks Wim, tried this, closed browser. re-opened and tried to log in again. Got through 2 captchas and back to the sign in button, clicked on it and a quick "blink" and another captcha, then a second, back to sign in, clicked, another blink and back to captacha....repeat process. As per before, if I then open another tab, I find that I'm signed in. It seems as always, that once I get through the capchas, it's the sign in button that doesn't take me further.........The only "improvement" is that I only got 2 captchas!!!!!!

20 hours ago, wiskerke said:

wim

Thanks for the idea Wim. I disabled tracking for my current session and ending up clicking 20 images over several pages to get in. This will be the last time I visit the forums for a while, I have better things to do than play Alamy's games. I will miss you folk but I will be more productive elsewhere.

Interestingly even with tracking on I rarely play the captcha game getting into MyAlamy!

Pity the tracking protection was not it. Enabling or disabling made no difference. I have one machine disabled and one machine enabled and I have no captchas on both.

This is with two flavors of Firefox.

So I'm enabling tracking protection again.

It must have something to do with allowing all cookies though.

wim

I’m so sorry you all have to go through this. It’s a pain enough for me. Used to, I’d have one page, click each appropriate image and be done. Now I do that, and a new image pops up in the squares I clicked on, over and over. Finally it’s down to one, then I’m done.

But nothing like what you are going through.

On 01/08/2018 at 11:59, wiskerke said:

wim

I switched it off for the session but still had problems in Firefox.

As I delete cookies on exiting the browser and have private/no-tracking browsing enabled I get  all the cookie/GPDR warnings each time I start a session. So because I am security aware I am spammed by (EU) rules designed to warn the less-aware who probably ignore it anyway. The old legislative story: to protect the few, governments inconvenience the majority. Same with banking, car insurance, road tax etc. The bad guys just ignore it anyway.

Interestingly I do not seem to get the same captcha issues going to MyAlamy, which has more personal and financial data!

5 minutes ago, Martin P Wilson said:

I switched it off for the session but still had problems in Firefox.

As I delete cookies on exiting the browser and have private/no-tracking browsing enabled I get  all the cookie/GPDR warnings each time I start a session. So because I am security aware I am spammed by (EU) rules designed to warn the less-aware who probably ignore it anyway. The old legislative story: to protect the few, governments inconvenience the majority. Same with banking, car insurance, road tax etc. The bad guys just ignore it anyway.

Interestingly I do not seem to get the same captcha issues going to MyAlamy, which has more personal and financial data!

I have tracking disabled and don't get the nag here. I don't delete Alamy cookies either- they are my agent after all. I only tend to get GDPR nags when private browsing to bypass news site paywall counters. Anyway you can turn off most of the cookies.

BTW the GDPR is (UK) law now.

4 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I have tracking disabled and don't get the nag here. I don't delete Alamy cookies either- they are my agent after all. I only tend to get GDPR nags when private browsing to bypass news site paywall counters. Anyway you can turn off most of the cookies.

BTW the GDPR is (UK) law now.

I allow cookies during a session (sometimes very extended) but don't leave them on my pc when I am not using the browser; hence they are deleted on exit. They do not need to collect data when I am not in the associated site, and that includes Alamy.

I have tracking deleted as I do not want to feed Big Data and allow it to show me 'appropriate' content. For the same reason I no longer use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn (have not yet deleted my accounts). I mostly use DuckDuckGo rather than Google as my default search engine.

The same on my 'phone. I appreciate GDPR and  the cookie rules are now in UK law but they originated in EU. That said, the UK government (I suspect many others too)  is at least as good at generating unnecesary inconvenience for the majority through rules that are for 'our' protection.

1 minute ago, Martin P Wilson said:

I allow cookies during a session (sometimes very extended) but don't leave them on my pc when I am not using the browser; hence they are deleted on exit. They do not need to collect data when I am not in the associate site, and that includes Alamy.

I have tracking deleted as I do not want to feed Big Data and allow it to show me 'appropriate' content. For the same reason I no longer use Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn (have not yet deleted my accounts). I mostly use DuckDuckGo rather than Google as my default search engine.

The same on my 'phone.

+1

+ a good ad blocker; a good virus checker; an malware checker and a well maintained hosts file. I know: multiple belts and braces. ;-)

However both my new phone and my new windows 10 machine still need some attention. Thank you for reminding me to work on my phone a bit more.

wim

Archived