Share your oversaturated subjects sales

John Mitchell

Since there has been a recent discussion about oversaturated subjects, I thought it might be instructive to share some examples -- e.g. Empire State Building, CN Tower, Buckingham Palace, Taj Mahal, etc., etc. -- of oversaturated subjects that have sold despite there being thousands (even millions) of others to choose from. Please also give the reason or reasons why you think your image was chosen.

Here's one of mine shot and sold earlier this year. There are zillions of images of the Vancouver skyline available here and elsewhere, taken from every angle imaginable and in all kinds of lighting conditions. This one was captured from my doctor's office through a thick glass window with a kit zoom.

Reasons why I think it sold: Mainly the vantage point. I lucked out in that my doctor's office had (he has since moved to a windowless cubbyhole) a difficult-to-find view of downtown Vancouver. Also the image was up-to-date. Vancouver's skyline is constantly changing. You literally have to hit the refresh button every couple of months due to all the new construction. It ain't Florence.

vancouver-skyline-2017-with-false-creek-

Sold several times, each time for less money! I've lost count of the number of times I've been asked to take a photo of a tourist at this spot, I generally struggle to find the button to press on their cameras or phones.

winter-view-of-durham-cathedral-with-ref

and then there is this view ( think it was this one that sold, I have some similars!), can't imagine how many photos exist!

brooklyn-bridge-and-manhattan-skyline-se

39 minutes ago, RWatkins said:

Close to 38000 donut photos and over 7000 on white.

Half of them do not have the keyword doughnut.

None have the keywords without a hole. Nor with a hole. (with doesn't count - but a does)

I even didn't know there were any donuts without holes.

To top it off the only image with the keywords doughnut without a hole, of course shows donuts with holes.

wim

59 minutes ago, vpics said:

The ones without holes are jam-filled. In Germany they are called "Berliner". 

Which puts the famous quote "Ich bin ein Berliner" in a different perspective.

Berlinerbol-4-Vruchten.jpg

The dutch version berlinerbol. It also exists filled with cream.

We have always used the quote irreverently as" Ich bin ein Burrleenerr Boll" ;-)

wim

34 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Which puts the famous quote "Ich bin ein Berliner" in a different perspective.

Berlinerbol-4-Vruchten.jpg

The dutch version berlinerbol. It also exists filled with cream.

We have always used the quote irreverently as" Ich bin ein Burrleenerr Boll" ;-)

wim

Apart from Berlin where they're called Pfannkuchen or pannenkoek in Dutch.  Which is probably nothing like a pannenkoek.

Once had a Berliner filled with cream and advocaat.

Just to add to the confusion - in Austria and Tyrolia, the "Berliner" is called "Krapfen". My granny (not Austrian) used to call them Kräbbelchen.  And if Wiki is to be believed, Kräppel or Kreppel is what they call them in Hesse. But they're all equally yummy! This is the sort of stuff where the automated translation thingy will probably struggle...

1 hour ago, imageplotter said:

Just to add to the confusion - in Austria and Tyrolia, the "Berliner" is called "Krapfen". My granny (not Austrian) used to call them Kräbbelchen.  And if Wiki is to be believed, Kräppel or Kreppel is what they call them in Hesse. But they're all equally yummy! This is the sort of stuff where the automated translation thingy will probably struggle...

yep, I think of automatic translation in the same way as putting my camera on full auto. 

It is almost certain the automatism gets it completely wrong. 

Also reminds me of the email I send re translation-questionaire, where I used a different example: 

<snip>

take the German word Hammer.
This is, as one may guess, in English exactly the same word: hammer - just not capitalized and pronounced differently. 
The issue is that depending on (image) context the German word could also refer and therefore translate to 
- sledge 
- gavel
- malleus 
- mallet 

Translating back with, say, "sledge", may either yield the original Hammer (engl. hammer) but also the German word Schlitten (engl. sleigh).   
</snip>

Bryan, there are not as many Brooklyn Bridge shots taken from that spot on the Manhattan Bridge as you might think. I plan to add my own this week. Am I copying you? Well . . . no. I grew up 20 minutes from that spot. 

In the good old days of film, the definition of a valid stock photograph was: a cliche done perfectly. 

6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Bryan, there are not as many Brooklyn Bridge shots taken from that spot on the Manhattan Bridge as you might think. I plan to add my own this week. Am I copying you? Well . . . no. I grew up 20 minutes from that spot. 

In the good old days of film, the definition of a valid stock photograph was: a cliche done perfectly. 

Better be quick Ed, I've arranged to have the entire skyline covered in scaffold, while it's going to rain most days 😉

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, andremichel said:

With 223 pages of Sydney opera house, this is on page 1 with only 21 images ahead of it.

For Sydney Opera House it's even at #9 now.

Yay! Or what?

There is something  seriously wrong with that.

Yes it will maybe sell while it's on the first 3 rows or even first row.

This was in fact the first time it has ever sold. It may even sell once again next year.

Nice! Why aren't we grateful?

Because it should never have been there. I have a couple of well selling images of the Sydney Opera House that under the current Search engine are on page 5 while they have sold like 24 times. And it's not older, but newer. Moreover the ones down out of sight are the ones that I've tagged with the new AIM and the ones on top and at the far bottom are the ones I have not yet....  waidaminit - tell me it's not true.

You wouldn't think now...? Would you...?

Facepalm.

wim

8 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Moreover the ones down out of sight are the ones that I've tagged with the new AIM and the ones on top and at the far bottom are the ones I have not yet.... 

So are you saying that this page 1 image doesn't even have supertags? 

One of mine appears lower down page 1, then no more until page 5.

Archived