On 09/11/2017 at 11:08, Brian Yarvin said:

I have suggested this forum to photographers I know that don't fit the mold; of a certain age, shooting travel or journalism and taking sides in various industry debates and they aren't interested. Nobody is stealing secrets - there are no secrets - it's just that like the rest of humanity, we congregate by age, background and interests.

Brian,

Your post made me think of the Woody Allen quote," I would never join a club that would have me as a member." 

We should talk about my year long experiment with another agency that we spoke about last year, when you have time?

PS, Uploaded one image last night (EST) went through quickly and AIM worked perfectly.

Chuck 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

??

Isn't an average return on Alamy reckoned to be about 1 sale per month per 1,000 images uploaded? Are you talking Microstock sales? Or have I misunderstood?

Mark

Oh my word! Yes. Typo. 1 sale per month per 1,000. Going back to edit my post now. Thank you for catching that. 

1 hour ago, meanderingemu said:

Anyways you would suggest to make it easier to integrate and more welcoming?  I know some of us have some edges, i feel this year has turned me in a young grumpy old man some days, but i think we all gain from getting various perspective.

Oh, no, I wrote my message a bit hastily - I didn't mean to imply the forum was unfriendly. People have been very welcoming to me. I just meant that sometimes it's hard to see an entry point into a conversation, but there actually are quite a few threads that are more general. I think I'm just an extreme introvert. 

On 09/11/2017 at 19:46, Rick Lewis said:

That 60,000 photographers touted is a huge number, but I would like to know how may contributors have over 1,000 or 5,000 images posted.  That would be interesting to me.

One photographer on-line friend gave me advice on which stock agencies to consider (this one and another one, not a microstock agency).  He doesn't appear to have anything on Alamy now.   A poster in a Digital Photography Review forum said he'd gotten paid for two photo sales after a couple of years without any sales, and was thinking about putting more photos up. 

60,000 photographers over the whole planet isn't a particularly large number.    Divide that into 230 million and the average portfolio is a little under 4,000 photos.   So, lots of the people with a portfolio on Alamy probably posted under that since some photographers have portfolios significantly greater than that.

1 hour ago, cksisson said:

Oh, no, I wrote my message a bit hastily - I didn't mean to imply the forum was unfriendly. People have been very welcoming to me. I just meant that sometimes it's hard to see an entry point into a conversation, but there actually are quite a few threads that are more general. I think I'm just an extreme introvert. 

Just jump in, we'll being to busy talking about gardening and misquoting Groucho Marx to worry. 😉

3 hours ago, cksisson said:

no problem, thanks for feed-back, it is always worrying to jump in.... 

i know it took me months, and there was some threads where I would stay away because i didn't feel expert enough to jump in.  Funny had similar issue yesterday, as i have been spending more time focusing on birds locally, due to lack of other subjects, and as i was photographing what i believed to be a bohemian waxwing, this guy comes in authoritarilly   "no this is cedar one, this and that are the indicators, and you are wrong", even though the cinnamon coloured under-tail which i believed was a clear indicator was highly visible....   so i just walk away sheepishly feeling bad that the small amount of knowledge i thought i was getting was totally wrong....  got home, check everything, it was a bohemian, and the under-tail is listed as one of the major differentiation....

moral feel free to jump in, we all have no idea 😉

• Love 1
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...
1 hour ago, Dylan B Garcia Art Photography said:

I think they're are a few people like me who don't post much but, do look at the forums, there are also people who have a few images on Alamy and did not delete there images, maybe even some who have forgotten they have images on Alamy. 

Yours Dylan Garcia 

Nice pictures!

• Love 1