I wonder when Alamy decides it has enough or too many images. Sales volume is falling per photographer and those of us who do this as a means of contributing to a living are  seeing falling sales volume as 116 million images are online. I have already decided not to go out on some shoots as the returns are so low now.

My theory is that if you have a good rank, you are going to get a lot more views, therefore more likely to have a lower CTR when buyers search a lot of images.

If someone simply searches Toronto, and I have almost 1,000 images of Toronto, I'm going to get a lot of views.  The more general a search term, the more it could lower the CTR of someone with a good rank, as they would get more images viewed.

Jill

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Interesting question, but it seems that Alamy are still actively looking for new contributors and more and more images.

For every new image that gets uploaded, probably 10 old ones sink to the bottom of the heap, so there will always be room for more. It's a bit like quicksand. ^_^

9 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

My theory is that if you have a good rank, you are going to get a lot more views, therefore more likely to have a lower CTR when buyers search a lot of images.

If someone simply searches Toronto, and I have almost 1,000 images of Toronto, I'm going to get a lot of views.  The more general a search term, the more it could lower the CTR of someone with a good rank, as they would get more images viewed.

Jill

+1  Yes, Jill. I think you’re right on.

19 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

+1  Yes, Jill. I think you’re right on.

I agree, but I also believe that CTR is a low determinant of rank (these days, at least) and so will have a minor effect on positioning. Hence, continuing reports of those with a lower CTR continuing with good sales. 

All personal opinion, of course : I may well be talking out of my own backside! :lol:

The mystery is what the make-up of the clients who are counted in zooms for CTR looks like. They will be regular Alamy clients, but otherwise I have no idea. Nor what good it might do if I knew. Recently my CTR has been  sinking to the bottom rather than being usually just a little above the Alamy average. Yesterday a client zoomed 12 of one of my Pseudos collection. Wow! The graph zoomed up to dizzying heights. An interesting selection and I might reasonably hope for a sale or two, but it's not going to turn the ship around.

It looks to me like some contributors are just shooting anything which comes to hand in a rush to get numbers up. Not the way I care to go as a photographer, so I fear I will just go on sinking gradually. 

14 hours ago, losdemas said:

I agree, but I also believe that CTR is a low determinant of rank (these days, at least) and so will have a minor effect on positioning. Hence, continuing reports of those with a lower CTR continuing with good sales. 

All personal opinion, of course : I may well be talking out of my own backside! :lol:

I would agree, my sales numbers (not revenue :( )have been increasing yet my overall CTR is much as it has been for the last few years. It has been well below the Alamy average. My strongest pseudonym for CTR (above average) does not do any better for sales than my main pseudonym  which has much poorer CTR.

15 hours ago, losdemas said:

If you are, we're doing a duet. I agree with you and about CTR I stress not, as the ad says.

3 hours ago, Shergar said:

Dear fellow forum members and parpissypants it is with great sadness that I have to announce that after checking this morning it looks like Mrs Shergar might also  have a sagging CTR.

As long as yours is holding up then all is well with the world.

Regen

3 hours ago, Shergar said:

Dear fellow forum members and parpissypants it is with great sadness that I have to announce that after checking this morning it looks like Mrs Shergar might also  have a sagging CTR.

Hopefully you have a stable relationship to get through a difficult time like this.

45 minutes ago, regen said:

As long as yours is holding up then all is well with the world.

Regen

Im doing the best I can Regen and I seem to be free from sagging so far. I will of course notify forum members at the first sign of any . 

43 minutes ago, MDM said:

Hopefully you have a stable relationship to get through a difficult time like this.

44 minutes ago, MDM said:

Its not easy MDM and it might mean that Mrs Shergar will need to give me a leg up from time to time.

4 hours ago, Shergar said:

All my support during this dark time.

1 hour ago, Southmind said:

1 hour ago, Southmind said:

Thank you Southmind Its starting to look like Mrs Shergar will need all the support that she can get.

11 hours ago, Shergar said:

More bad news! I tried to explain to Mrs Shergar that since her CTR was sagging she wouldn't be getting as many zooms as she used to get......... She said that I would be sleeping up the garden tonight!

Great opportunity to test your macro lens at the full moon... 

1 hour ago, MDM said:

zielfernrohr ( gun scope) ???

I hope this doesn't mean there is a plan to have poor old Mrs Shergar put down.

Wouldn't that be sad if Mrs Shergar mysteriously  disappeared and was never heard from again.

Archived