Sign in to follow this  

I thought Adobe would improve this latest version of lightroom with a better keywording system, alas, no.

So, I am going to start keywording in Bridge.

Here's what I have so far

Created several folders

who

what

people

where, etc

within those folders a large amount of words

If i click on an image and apply 4 or 5 keywords why do i get the folder names as well when I lightroom asks me to overwrite the data

can show some images later if it helps

I can’t help you there, but this is what I do.

Keyword an image in Bridge. If it is a subject you shoot or expect to shoot again, while that image is still highlighted, go to “tools” and in the drop down, choose “create template”

You’ll get a template page.  I fill out any metadata fields I want attached to the image even though Alamy strips most out. But you’ll see your keywords there. Now is where you make those tags more generic, because some of them that fit your original image, might not fit the next.

So I may have an image where a bird with a beak full of worms flies to a branch.

American robin,Turdus migratorus,(sp) perched,perching,tree,branch,branches,eating,worm,worms,food,gathering food,copyspace,copy space,blue sky,day,daytime,nobody,outdoors,horizontal,Oklahoma,US,USA,U.S.,U.S.A.,United States,North America 

Before saving the template, I would strip out perch,perching,branch,branches,eating,worm,worms,food,gathering food,horizontal.

OR you can leave those in and just remember to delete them and replace them with appropriate tags when you apply the template to a future image where the bird may be foraging on the lawn instead of perched.

Title your template. Mine would be 

American Robin, Turdus migratorus

I also have a basic template, a generic one, that has my info and image location, since the bulk of my stuff is shot here. So if I have a brand new subject, I at least have the location tags covered. I apply that basic template (titled BASIC) then add my new tags.

I have templates for all of my birds, all of my butterflies, some plants, and other things. It keeps me from having to look up scientific names, which is a blessing!

Once you set up a template, name it and save it, to use it you highlight your new image(s) in Bridge. Go to “tools” up top. You’ll see “apply template” or some such. Click on it and you’ll get a list of your templates listed alphabetically. Navigate to the one you want, click on it, and it will apply those tags to your new image. Be sure you save.

Hope you can glean something helpful out of this.

Betty

Edited by Betty LaRue
Typo
  • Upvote 1

Great thanks for taking the time out for to explain your settings, have a look at these pictures it might help you understand what i am trying to accomplish.

keywords.jpg

Lightroom shows this:

keywords2.jpg

Even though this is checked

keywords3.jpg

I don't want the bracketed words to appear in lightroom, why is this happening, anyone?

As you can see i have checked the folder to exclude export as a keyword!?

Edited by LawrensonPhoto

Figured it out, set the parent keyword to include and unchecked it

I can now grab my entire image catalog and assign the keywords

GB

Great Britain

England

UK

United Kingdom

in seconds!

1 hour ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Great thanks for taking the time out for to explain your settings, have a look at these pictures it might help you understand what i am trying to accomplish.

keywords.jpg

Lightroom shows this:

keywords2.jpg

Even though this is checked

keywords3.jpg

I don't want the bracketed words to appear in lightroom, why is this happening, anyone?

As you can see i have checked the folder to exclude export as a keyword!?

I’m sorry, I thought you were giving up key wording in LR and planned on doing it in Bridge.  I have never keyworded in LR, thank God! :D 

I had my system set up and used for years before ever using LR.  It works, so I never saw any reason to attempt it in LR. What I like about Bridge is that all the tags remain just how you input them, not rearranged in alphabetical order. Proximity remains.

Betty

my plan is to import into Lightroom and adjust any settings, then

open bridge, apply keywords in a batch

update in lightroom to reflect new keywords

I think :)

Deleted

Edited by MDM

I have my keywords in Bridge arranged in a hierarchical system. Your system does not look hierarchical

Start with [Location] then UK as a sub keyword below that. Then UNITED KINGDOM as a subkeyword below UK. Then ENGLAND as a subkeyword below UNITED KINGDOM. Then LONDON as a subkeyword below ENGLAND. Then WESTMINISTER as a subkeyword below LONDON.

When keywording click on subkeyword WESTMINISTER only. Bridge will automatically select every subkeyword above the selected subkeyword.

This will automatically give you the following keyword string: UK; UNITED KINGDOM; ENGLAND; LONDON; WESTMINISTER

It is like a tree so you could also have a branching subkeyword SCOTLAND also below subkeyword UNITED KINGDOM. Then a subkeyword EDINBURGH below subkeyword SCOTLAND.

Click on EDINBURGH only and you get: UK; UNITED KINGDOM; SCOTLAND; EDINBURGH

Here is a string I get from one click on ROUGE RIVER only

Canada; North America; Ontario; park; Rouge National Park; Rouge National Urban Park; Rouge Park; Rouge River; Toronto; urban wilderness

If it is a milkweed plant beside the river then I make a second click on Asclepias sullivantii only and get a total of 

Canada; North America; Ontario; park; Rouge National Park; Rouge National Urban Park; Rouge Park; Rouge River; Toronto; urban wilderness; Asclepias sullivantii; flower; milkweed; plant; prairie milkweed; smooth milkweed; Sullivant's milkweed; wildflower

All in two clicks.

If it was a Salmon in the river instead of Asclepias sullivantii I would click on Oncorhynchus tshawytscha instead of Asclepias sullivantii and get 

Canada; North America; Ontario; park; Rouge National Park; Rouge National Urban Park; Rouge Park; Rouge River; Toronto; urban wilderness; animal; Chinook; fish; Oncorhynchus tshawytscha; salmon

All in two clicks.

The beauty is if you add your keywords into the catalogue carefully it eliminates typos.

More info:

http://www.controlledvocabulary.com/metalogging/keywording.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill, that sounds great. Not sure how to set it up. I’ll have to take a look once I’m not coughing up a lung. I won’t be doing any keywording  in LR, though, will it still work or is the only way I could find it is through LR? I won’t do that, I’ll stick to my templates instead.

Betty

Betty:

I do it in Bridge.

First show the keyword panel in Bridge.

Here are some instructions on how to create your own keywords in Bridge.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/creativesuite/cs/using/WSBCB2D1F5-98B8-45cc-950A-58E8347FD2F8a.html

Only build your keyword catalogue for things you photograph, not all at once.

For instance:

[Locations]
    US
        USA
            United States
                Oklahoma
                    Tulsa
                        Deco District
                California
                    Los Angeles
                        Hollywood
                    Sacramento
                        capital
click on Deco District, and you get US; USA; United States; Oklahoma; Tulsa; Deco District

All with only one click.

Click on Oklahoma and you only get US; USA; United States; Oklahoma

Click on capital and you get US; USA; United States; California; Sacramento; capital

Notice it skipped Los Angeles and Hollywood and Oklahoma etc because Los Angeles and Sacramento are both at the same subkeyword level,  as are Oklahoma and California

If you select 10 images in Bridge that have the same keywords, one click will apply the keyword set to all 10 images at once.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Betty:

I do it in Bridge.

First show the keyword panel in Bridge.

Here are some instructions on how to create your own keywords in Bridge.

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/creativesuite/cs/using/WSBCB2D1F5-98B8-45cc-950A-58E8347FD2F8a.html

Only build your keyword catalogue for things you photograph, not all at once.

For instance:

[Locations]
    US
        USA
            United States
                Oklahoma
                    Tulsa
                        Deco District
                California
                    Los Angeles
                        Hollywood
                    Sacramento
                        capital
click on Deco District, and you get US; USA; United States; Oklahoma; Tulsa; Deco District

All with only one click.

Click on Oklahoma and you only get US; USA; United States; Oklahoma

Click on capital and you get US; USA; United States; California; Sacramento; capital

Notice it skipped Los Angeles and Hollywood and Oklahoma etc because Los Angeles and Sacramento are both at the same subkeyword level,  as are Oklahoma and California

If you select 10 images in Bridge that have the same keywords, one click will apply the keyword set to all 10 images at once.

Thank you, Bill. That looks doable. Knowing me, I’ll mess it up a few times before getting it right. :)

You must have 'automatically apply parent keywords' in prefs - keywords, for bills great tip!

• Upvote 1

You can also have a location "string" as a keyword group. For example "UK,United Kingdom,GB,Great Britain" , then drop down to country, "England", then drop down to county - "Nottinghamshire,Notts", Then town etc

hope that makes sense. I also have keyword catagories such as weather, people, objects etc etc

Webby

Edited by Webby