Jump to content

Recommended Posts

My sample size is small compared to the Alamy pie - but i wanted to share my stats between 2016 and 2017 - i have now sold the same number of images in the 10 months of 2017 as I did in the 12 months of 2016 - gross income now beg the same but for $11.

 

Whilst prices aren't what they used to be - i am pleased that at least in my small sample - average sale price is holding firm between the two years - and 2016 was a good year for me

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Small sample size at over 23,000 images??? Is there any information about the distribution of portfolio sizes amongst Alamy contributors? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Sally said:

Small sample size at over 23,000 images??? Is there any information about the distribution of portfolio sizes amongst Alamy contributors? 

 

Total Alamy images = 115 million

23,710 / 115,000,000 * 100 = 0.02%

Yes, I would agree that is a small sample ...

 

I believe there are several contributors with 100,000+ images and plenty of agencies with 1 million+ images. Most individuals starting out now won't get to 5,000 is my guess, most are likely to be disappointed quite quickly and will stop submitting due to unrealistic expectations, bar a minority of course, there will always be those with exceptional talents or dogged determination who will make a success of it. My biggest regret is that I only discovered Alamy in 2010 ... oh what could have been if I had joined from the beginning.

 

Marc

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now sold same number as last year and my average price is down by 1.3 dollars. Not a bad result considering the state of the market.

 

Regen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, famousbelgian said:

 

Total Alamy images = 115 million

23,710 / 115,000,000 * 100 = 0.02%

Yes, I would agree that is a small sample ...

 

I believe there are several contributors with 100,000+ images and plenty of agencies with 1 million+ images. Most individuals starting out now won't get to 5,000 is my guess, most are likely to be disappointed quite quickly and will stop submitting due to unrealistic expectations, bar a minority of course, there will always be those with exceptional talents or dogged determination who will make a success of it. My biggest regret is that I only discovered Alamy in 2010 ... oh what could have been if I had joined from the beginning.

 

Marc

Dogged determination.... that's me. Nearly 3,000 since February, not giving up any time soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Sally said:

Dogged determination.... that's me. Nearly 3,000 since February, not giving up any time soon.

 

Lol. Any success ?

I uploaded 750 since September and it will continue... 

But is it all about number ?

I sometimes produce images that are not pure photos but need more work. :

Is it worth it to upload them to Alamy? Example : illustration-silhouette-of-bird-flying-i

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Southmind said:

 

Lol. Any success ?

I uploaded 750 since September and it will continue... 

But is it all about number ?

I sometimes produce images that are not pure photos but need more work. :

Is it worth it to upload them to Alamy? Example : illustration-silhouette-of-bird-flying-i

 

Yes, first sale was in May with only a few hundred photos. Nine sales altogether, three of them this month, so as my collection grows it seems the sales are increasing, but it's really too early to tell. I do spend a LOT of time keywording. Was delighted to receive my first payment from Alamy last month. It will never keep me in my retirement, but it's great fun. And I'm learning all the time.

Edited by Sally
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sally said:

 

Yes, first sale was in May with only a few hundred photos. Nine sales altogether, three of them this month, so as my collection grows it seems the sales are increasing, but it's really too early to tell. I do spend a LOT of time keywording. Was delighted to receive my first payment from Alamy last month. It will never keep me in my retirement, but it's great fun. And I'm learning all the time.

 

Thank you, it's encouraging !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Southmind said:

 

Lol. Any success ?

I uploaded 750 since September and it will continue... 

But is it all about number ?

I sometimes produce images that are not pure photos but need more work. :

Is it worth it to upload them to Alamy? Example : illustration-silhouette-of-bird-flying-i

 

I believe you would do better on POD sites with images like that.

 

Allan

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Compared to all of 2016, 2017 so far has about 25% more sales and almost the same gross $.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just overtaken 2016 and 2015, BYE, average down about 5% on 2015 but 30% on 2015.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Sally said:

Small sample size at over 23,000 images???

 

Statistically speaking, and making the assumption that those images are a reasonable reflection of the nature and spread of the whole Alamy library, a sample of 23,000 is actually very large...

 

Which is why, for example, exit polls taken in UK general elections, which probably only interview around 5-10,000 people on the way they finally voted, are actually very accurate in predicting the behaviour of tens of millions of voters

 

 

km

 

 

Edited by RedSnapper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

I believe you would do better on POD sites with images like that.

 

Allan

 

 

 

Yes Allan. I tested one, few years ago. I get sales from time to time but with a low return. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

 

Statistically speaking, and making the assumption that those images are a reasonable reflection of the nature and spread of the whole Alamy library, a sample of 23,000 is actually very large...

 

Which is why, for example, exit polls taken in UK general elections, which probably only interview around 5-10,000 people on the way they finally voted, are actually very accurate in predicting the behaviour of tens of millions of voters

 

 

km

 

 

 

You can represent a population of 100 million with a sample size of just a few hundreds. Thing is, the sample has to be chosen randomly. A single contributor's collection, however large, cannot be considered a random sample because every contributor has their own preferred subjects and locations.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm now only a dozen sales away from my 2016 total. However, the average price per image is down to about $53 from $58 last year. My guess is that my gross income will be roughly the same this year as last,  but I'll be needing more sales in total (probably 12-15) in order to get there, which shouldn't be a problem.

 

Similar story when I compare 2016 to 2015. It's called treading water (not complaining, though, things could be much worse).

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I passed last year’s total sales a week or two ago. 

Revenue up over 2016 about 30% to date. And last year was my best re: total licenses.

Betty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
57 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

One calculation I'd like to see is the RPI  per year given the approx mean of 10p on Alamy.

 

Tough calculation to do accurately as my total number of images is always changing -- roughly $1.20 (gross) RPI for 2016, and about $0.95 (gross) RPI so far this year. I've added more images than normal this year, which partially accounts for the drop.

 

Sorry, I don't do p's. B)

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Tough calculation to do accurately as my total number of images is always changing -- roughly $1.20 (gross) RPI for 2016, and about $0.95 (gross) RPI so far this year. I've added more images than normal this year, which partially accounts for the drop.

 

Sorry, I don't do p's. B)

 

 

 

I think the 10p quoted was for net RPI, so need to halve those gross values to compare. Also need to remember to take $ and £ into account, as the 10p was in GBP. 

Edited by andremichel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My gross earnings are already 17% above the total for 2016, but total sales are still 7% below. My average sales price is $34 gross. 

 

RPI (gross) so far this year is £0.57 or 28.5p net.  

 

 

Edited by andremichel

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, andremichel said:

 

I think the 10p quoted was for net RPI, so need to halve those gross values to compare. Also need to remember to take $ and £ into account, as the 10p was in GBP. 

 

Right. Also, about 20% of my sales are distributor ones, so I would have to take those extra commissions into account when calculating net RPI.

 

Too lazy...

 

 

 

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sales by volume in 2017 (so far) well down on 2016, but gross price per sale well up. As a result gross revenue for 2017 is already very close to last year's total.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.