We might be able to learn something from each other from this (hopefully)

Of all those people who entered the poll could you please play this?

Right, I will post up a picture, I want everyone to keyword exactly as they normally would and post the keywords.

So that you don't look at each others posts I would like everyone to post the keywords at exactly 10pm tonight! (after the football)

I am hoping we can all learn about the different ways each of us keyword.

Here goes: The only clue is location "Canterbury, Kent"

canterbury-kent-uk-29th-september-2017-t

Consensus seems to be that the majority use single words and occasional short phrases.

I wish we could make a sticky thread with tips and tricks like this!

Edited by LawrensonPhoto

I like the idea but I'm not sure about the implementation - the football will be on at 9pm! 

Keywording is a bit hit and miss when the context is not known. Who are these people and what are they doing? I can guess but f I wasn't able to accurately caption it I probably would not upload it, let alone try to keyword it. They look like a group of people, not just general passers-by.

14 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

the football will be on at 9pm! 

Damn, i forgot that.

Ok after the football!

10pm

Just type what you see, I don't know who they are either!

raining, people, umbrellas, rain, wet, street, Canterbury, Kent, walking, group, teenagers, boys, girls, excursion, walk, trip, buildings, street, city walk, city, bad weather, road, season, students, rainy, dripping, day, daytime, poles, group, exploring, 

canterbury, kent, south east england, rainy, students, 15-17, hoodie, high street, autumn, millennial, english man, english woman, teenager, umbrella, raining, rainy britain, soaked, walking, editorial candid, horizontal, canterbury city centre, cobblestones

umbrella, umbrellas, teen, teens, teenager, teenagers, walking, group, many, rain, bad, weather, gloomy, day, stores, shops, storefronts, businesses, students, entourage, young, people, youth, youngsters, walk, stroll, strolling, old, canterbury, uk, kent, english, england, great, travel, united, view, british, britain, europe, european, kingdom, city, tourist, sights, centre, town, vibrant, outdoors, urban, together, inclement, wet, rainstorm, men and women, center

“Young people”, rain, raining, “wet day”,”wet weather”, street, “rainy day”,“street name”, people, Canterbury, Kent, England, UK, daytime, outdoors, outside, “pedestrianised area”, visitors, students, student, umbrella, umbrellas,

canterbury kent,canterbury kent england, uk, united kingdom,rain,raining,showers,wet, walking in the rain, walking in the rain with umbrellas, people walking in the rain, people walking in the rain with umbrellas,umbrellas,wet day,street scene,streetacape,people,crowd,lots of people,young people, group of people walking,group of people,group of young people,many people,rainy day, rain showers,rainy day in Canterbury,canterbury,kent,

Cantebury, Kent, England, Rain, Raining, rainy day, day, daytime, wet, students. umbrellas, umbrella, youth, young people, weather, walking, street, hood, hoody, shelter, english, english weather, group, teenagers, coat, coats, cold, cobbles, cobblestone, cobblestones, walk, walking,

A Person With An Umbrella, British Weather, Canterbury, Kent, People In The Rain, People Umbrella, People Walking In The Rain, People With Umbrellas, Rain And Drizzle, Raining in Canterbury, Raining In England, Raining In the South East, Raining In The Uk, Rainy Day, Rainy Day Uk, Rainy Drizzle Damp Day, Rainy Weather, Teens, Teens and umbrellas, Uk, Uk Weather, Umbrellas, Umbrellas In The Rain, Under An Umbrella, United Kingdom, Walking In The Rain, walking with umbrellas, Weather, Weather Uk, Weather Uk, Wet, youths with umbrellas, Youngsters walking in the rain

I would do much the same as above, but would add

concept,concepts,conceptual,gloomy,dour,uncommunicative,unhappy,

Game 5 NY Yankees vs. the Houston Astros.  5 pm   Here's the schedule    ⚾️  

I'll tell you a little story. Back in my college days,  I was flying out of Gatwick after five weeks of backpacking through Europe, starting in Madrid the day after Christmas. As I bid a tearful farewell to my then boyfriend, who had romantically insisted on accompanying me to Gatwick even though his flight to LA left from Heathrow,  I insisted on giving him whatever British Pounds I had left, hoping he could catch a cab part of the way. (For those of you not from London, it's a ridiculously long ride between the two - well over an hour at least it was back then) 

This caused me considerable embarrassment when the stewardess would't not take American dollars for the in-flight movie. Or maybe all I could scrounge up were some leftover lira, schillings, or francs? My British seat mate, a young London businessman with a lovely wife and two young sons at home (he showed me photos - from his wallet - remember those days? - hands up if you still have photos of your loved ones in your wallet - shall we do a poll?) came to my rescue and paid for the movie and for in flight drinks as well.

He then asked me this question, which is why I remember him to this day, and the point of my story. 

His kids wanted baseball jerseys from "the best baseball team in America, I guess the best team in the world. I know they're from New York, but I can't remember their name, can you help me out?"

The Yankees of course.

He laughed. "How could I forget? The Yanks!"

So, don't forget guys and girls. It's not just football season.

I couldn't wait to tell my boyfriend, a diehard LA Dodgers fan. Just shows, I can get along with folks who don't like the same things I do, even if they call soccer "football" and sweaters "jumpers" just fine. (He actually ended up moving to your neck of the woods  for a while - he lived in London and worked for Amnesty International. He remained a Dodgers fan and returned to the US to become a sportswriter).

BTW I'm married to a Yankee fan and my daughter's NYU graduation actually took place at Yankee stadium. Now how awesome is that?  Go Yankees!  😎 

Edited by Marianne
Home with the flu and I just felt like rambling. And it's about London and American sports an unlikely combo and then it was time for the rain keywords
  • Like 1

UK weather, young people, outside, outdoors, Canterbury, Kent, rain, standing in the rain, under an umbrella, umbrellas, wet, soggy, moody, gloomy, rainy, walking, cobblestone, streets, village, quaint, town, real people, youths, teens, teenagers, hoodies, getting wet, in a line , UK, Englan, English, British, English youth, English youths, Millennials, wet weather, rainy day 

Edited by Marianne
?

Canterbury Kent UK autumn rain rainy day students city walk group of students field trip street Canterbury Best Ln Lane England in fall

For weather news I would include which school or college and what the purpose of the visit was.
Now I think of it, It may have been introduction week. Do they have that in the UK and is it that late in the semester?
Note the printed city walk guide the guy on the left has in his hands. (Showing the famous clock.)

wim

I vote for Marianne's story--it's the best thing in this thread  :D

• Like 1

I'm in the wrong country to play along in real-time, but I'd add "teens", "kids", " picking nose" ( the kid in the black jacket- never know who might search for such a thing). 

Oh, and the Yankees won tonight!   :D   They beat the Astros 5-0. One more win and they go to the World Series, where they will play either the Cubs, who won tonight, or the Dodgers. (I was really sorry and embarrassed to hear how horrible the NY fans were to the Astros pitcher. Sometimes I feel like my country is a daily embarrassment, and tonight my city as well).

Who won the football?  Who played? Manchester United?

I just googled it and found the BBC website after I wrote that! I didn't cheat but honestly it was less a lucky guess than a lucky coincidence, since it's the only team I know. So those of you who are United fans are happy. Tough night for that young goalie. When Wim mentioned "introduction week," I was thinking at his age in the US,  he'd be either finishing high school or just starting college. To be starting in a pro league instead must've been a dream come true. Miserable to feel like he blew his first game. He has many more ahead of him though, so he'll be fine. And he's making a fortune. 

10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I would do much the same as above, but would add

concept,concepts,conceptual,gloomy,dour,uncommunicative,unhappy,

Whats the theory behind using concepts?

9 hours ago, Marianne said:

Millennials

2 people have used this word, any reason why

4 people have used single words no phrases, any reason for this?

Its a shame more people haven't participated to get more data

11 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

“Young people”, rain, raining, “wet day”,”wet weather”, street, “rainy day”,“street name”, people, Canterbury, Kent, England, UK, daytime, outdoors, outside, “pedestrianised area”, visitors, students, student, umbrella, umbrellas,

You are the only person to use Quotes is this out of habit or another reason?

4 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Just a long established convention for me, born out of dealing with 30 years of producing CSV files in a variety of different data processing contexts where, especially in the old days, the only way of being sure a phrase would be treated as a phrase was to have it wrapped in double quotes. This stood me in good stead when Alamy introduced the new image manager as the majority (though not all) of my phrases imported correctly without ending up as single word tags.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

I use phrases and words. Phrases only when words belong together. For example above "wet weather" i would use them loose. The word wet alone applies to the image. The same for weather. I used "City Walk" as a phrase since it is used as one word often. E.g. lets do a city walk.

10 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

streetacape

streetscape or have you just invented another word! :D