In the green  

70 members have voted

1. 1. What percentage of images do you have in the green? (good or optimized)

• 10% or less
    • Between 10% and 20%
    • Between 20% and 30%
    • Between 30% and 40%
    • Between 40% and 50%
    • Between 50% and 60%
    • Over 60%

I have 18.2% of my images in the green.  They only end up that way if needed.

Interestingly, 7.5% of my green (highly discoverable) images have sold, and 2.6% of my orange ones.    Most of these sales happened before these green/orange labels started, but I guess they tended to have more keywords to begin with.

7 minutes ago, Gennadii Rybalov said:

Or can you more specific? I think it will be useful to me.

JPM88H 

has the words technician, tools (he's a vendor on a beach) many other examples

Edited by LawrensonPhoto

28 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

0.03% in the green, but that could drop as I've been on a keyword-culling campaign lately B)

P.S. yup that's 2 images in the green, do I win the booby prize?

I can beat that... 0 out of 3012 :D.

6 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Lets take this scenario:

1. image with keywords: london, sightseer, Trafalgar square, pouring, rain

2. image with keywords: london, sightseer, Trafalgar square, pouring, rain, Sightseer in Trafalgar square, Sightseer in London, pouring in Trafalgar square, pouring in London, rain in Trafalgar square, rain in London

Buyer types exactly:

Sightseer in Trafalgar Square

image 1 has those keywords

image 2 has the exact phrase

Question

Would the 2nd image rank higher in the search because it is an exact match phrase?

Probably depends if they search for "Sightseer in Trafalgar Square" or Sightseer in Trafalgar Square (i.e. without quotes). If they use quotes the image with the exact matching phrase should come out much higher. If they don't use quotes, then I'm not sure. Should be easy to test though. However, in my experience most buyers don't use very sophisticated searches (e.g. using quotes or additional terms like NOT in their searches). 

Mark

4 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

Lets take this scenario:

1. image with keywords: london, sightseer, Trafalgar square, pouring, rain

2. image with keywords: london, sightseer, Trafalgar square, pouring, rain, Sightseer in Trafalgar square, Sightseer in London, pouring in Trafalgar square, pouring in London, rain in Trafalgar square, rain in London

Buyer types exactly:

Sightseer in Trafalgar Square

image 1 has those keywords

image 2 has the exact phrase

Question

Would the 2nd image rank higher in the search because it is an exact match phrase?

Certainly the image with the exact phrase should come up higher (unless others have "sightseer" and "trafalgar square" next to each other.  The search engine would ignore the word "in".  The contributors rank would also come into play.

Certain images with lots going on can easily come up with 50 tags when trying to think of what exact searches a buyer will use.  But if you have an image of a flower, it is pretty hard to come up with 50 relevant tags that wouldn't bring you tons of useless views.

Generally I would think I have 30-35 tags on most images.  Would have to go through them to find out.   I added this photo this week:

insect-sculpture-by-moses-kofi-along-agu

Pretty hard to come up with 50 unless they are really stretching the relevancy of the tag.

Jill

6 minutes ago, Gennadii Rybalov said:

Or can you more specific? I think it will be useful to me.

We've had this discussion at least twice before, and you didn't pay any attention then.

NB, as I said before, I do appreciate how difficult it must be to keyword in a language other than your own. I'm really glad I don't have to do that.

Example: your file #K274RA 

Totally irrelevant keywords: activity, box, collect, competition, compile, durable, exercise,  field, gather, game, hamper, keep, line, match, play, playing, practice, put, set, square, stand, tournament, white,  none of these are shown in the photo.

Very marginal keywords: background, concept, health, individual (I suppose you were thinking about the one big ball), hard

Marginal: green, stockpile, space ('copy space' would be better)

34 minutes ago, vpics said:

Interesting question. Will look into it. Bear with me. 

Thanks for liking my pics.

Just had a quick look. TBH, and that's my gut feeling, I don't think it matters. 

I think you really need to get in what's happening in the picture and correct names (in various spellings) and locations.

Don't get bogged down too much by what people had for breakfast or add details about a location's history. 

However, if a picture conveys a feeling, put it in. Think laterally, but not too laterally. 

4 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Pretty hard to come up with 50 unless they are really stretching the relevancy of the tag.

Just had to look that up - absolutely no idea what it was.

Still not entirely convinced... :blink:

• Like 1

3% in green for me. But this is largely due to duplication when Alamy converted the old keywords from main essential and comprehensive field into tags and some phrases seem to have been split.

IMHO it's usually a bad idea to "get into the green" by adding 50 tags for 2 reasons.

1) Too many tags will result in irrelevant views without zooms, driving down Alamy rank

2) It makes subsequent editing of tags very difficult as the dreaded "one of your images contains 50 tags" error message will keep popping up.

With 3% in the green my sales revenue graph looks like this, so I'm happy to leave my discoverability where it is.

Screen_Shot_2017-10-17_at_18.26.10.png

In fact I'm baffled as to why Alamy added this measure of "discoverability" in the first place. I'd much prefer it if it simply indicated whether I'd remembered to enter a caption, at least one tag, one supertag and entered something on the optional page. 

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

I think I accidentally voted in the reverse and can't change my vote.

It should be about 60%

21 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

Probably depends if they search for "Sightseer in Trafalgar Square" or Sightseer in Trafalgar Square (i.e. without quotes). If they use quotes the image with the exact matching phrase should come out much higher. If they don't use quotes, then I'm not sure. Should be easy to test though. However, in my experience most buyers don't use very sophisticated searches (e.g. using quotes or additional terms like NOT in their searches). 

Mark

A very recent buyer search of mine using this phrase:

the eden project bridge

I have now added that phrase as a tag

surely my image would rank higher if a buyer uses those exact words

I would also add - the eden project bridge cornwall, the eden project bridge UK, etc, etc.

1 hour ago, vpics said:

Just had a quick look. TBH, and that's my gut feeling, I don't think it matters. 

I think you really need to get in what's happening in the picture and correct names (in various spellings) and locations.

Don't get bogged down too much by what people had for breakfast or add details about a location's history. 

However, if a picture conveys a feeling, put it in. Think laterally, but not too laterally. 

do you use any phrases in your keywording?

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

In fact I'm baffled as to why Alamy added this measure of "discoverability" in the first place.

Mark

It seems this is something that we may never know.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

do you use any phrases in your keywording?

Wish I could think of any at the time. :-)

9 minutes ago, vpics said:

Wish I could think of any at the time. :-)

Your images are full of possible phrases.

bicycling on the *location* highway,

people biking in *location*

young girl riding horse,

*location* cacti,

cacti in *location*

cacti of *location*

hopefully more votes to come tomorrow and we'll try and draw some conclusions from this

23 minutes ago, Betty LaRue said:

Your images are full of possible phrases.

bicycling on the *location* highway,

people biking in *location*

young girl riding horse,

*location* cacti,

cacti in *location*

cacti of *location*

Do we actually have to keyword "in" or "on" etc.?

2 minutes ago, vpics said:

Do we actually have to keyword "in" or "on" etc.?

My impression is that the Alamy search engine takes account of words like "in" or "on" while ignoring others like "a" or "the".