Repurposing old images

John Mitchell

In another forum thread (Sales Ceilings), Bill B. suggested that a way to possibly increase sales is to "repurpose" old images by adding tags that would make them more topical. For example, here's an old shot of a deforested, eroded hillside in a hurricane-prone region of the Caribbean (recently hit by two hurricanes) that I'm planning to repurpose. I'm thinking of adding the tags "global warming", "climate change", "hurricane damage" and "flash flooding" to it. Any thoughts on what other types of subjects lend themselves to repurposing? I think this might make for a productive discussion.

deforested-and-eroded-hillsides-with-sma

Working through my collection to update the keywords I have come across several where, in the light of greater experience, I've been able to identify additional market opportunities. However I'm not seeing a pattern here, no obvious themes to add to your list.

Depressingly, I also see images that are no longer of topical interest, shops that have closed, logos changed etc. I guess they might have some limited historical relevance, and this may be sufficient for me to retain rather than delete.

12 hours ago, Bryan said:

Working through my collection to update the keywords I have come across several where, in the light of greater experience, I've been able to identify additional market opportunities. However I'm not seeing a pattern here, no obvious themes to add to your list.

Depressingly, I also see images that are no longer of topical interest, shops that have closed, logos changed etc. I guess they might have some limited historical relevance, and this may be sufficient for me to retain rather than delete.

Yes, repurposing old images sounds like a great idea, but I'm discovering that it's a lot more difficult than one might think.

19 hours ago, Bill Brooks said:

Global warming effect on glaciers not just a stream

A3XK43.jpg A88CGC.jpg

El Nino not just a wave

ARCH89.jpg

Timely themes like global warming / climate change / extreme weather phenomena do work well for repurposing.

Anyone else have any suggestions for possibly giving new life to old images?

11 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

John,

You could get hold of some teaching syllabuses/specifications/whatever they call them where you are in subjects that relate to your images - geography, environment, business, sociology, economics  etc.

Find out the current terminology that a publisher might use to find pics to match a writer's words.

Here is an example of a UK geography one:

AQA-8035-SP-2016.PDF

Good suggestions. I too have a background in teaching (I still do some private tutoring). This has helped me quite a bit. I'm often thinking textbooks, etc. when photographing.

As an aside, I had an "examination papers" use license this month for a good price. Interesting to see.

38 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Yes but I noticed in this AQA specification that they are using terms slightly different than in my day. So I think I need to follow my own advice and try harder to keep up to date.:)

Right. Keeping up-to-date in the education world is a real challenge these days.

On 9/26/2017 at 05:35, Bryan said:

Maybe you need to add words like "vintage", "bygone", "old"... :)

Someone might want these photos for articles on changing times..

I've noticed in AoA that searchers sometimes use the name of a place followed by a year -- e.g. Montreal 1993, Vancouver 1986, etc.

However, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to add dates to older images unless something big was happening (such as a world's fair or other international event) during a particular year. Any thoughts on this?

10 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I've noticed in AoA that searchers sometimes use the name of a place followed by a year -- e.g. Montreal 1993, Vancouver 1986, etc.

However, I'm not sure that it's a good idea to add dates to older images unless something big was happening (such as a world's fair or other international event) during a particular year. Any thoughts on this?

I've seen quite a few searches in AoA with the decade mentioned, e.g. 1980s, 1970s, etc. so I think at least those would be worth including if one had older images.

Maria

13 hours ago, MariaJ said:

I've seen quite a few searches in AoA with the decade mentioned, e.g. 1980s, 1970s, etc. so I think at least those would be worth including if one had older images.

Maria

Right. I often put the decade in -- e.g. "1970's architecture" -- when it seems appropriate.

I sometimes put the exact year in as well -- e.g. "Vancouver skyline 2007" -- but not as general rule.

43 minutes ago, Trevor Chriss said:

Assuming you have filled or allowed to be added, date taken in the optional tab of AIM, would they not be found in a search. I am sure some of mine have been found this way, I think?

I don't think that the date taken box is searchable.

55 minutes ago, RedSnapper said:

search filter bar> date taken drop box>lots of pre-coded choices + custom option

km

Thanks for pointing that out. Using the "date taken" filters is a good option for buyers.

However, the "date taken" info doesn't seem to be accessible in general searches (i.e. no date filters used) unless a specific date has been included in the caption or keywords.

Archived