Promoting my photos on my own blog

I've started a blog to promote my stock photos. Would love to exchange links with others doing the same but that's not my main question right now:

How do I post my pictures there? Obviously I want people to go to Alamy and buy rather than simply download them from my blog. For my firt post I scaled the examples down to a size smaller than the smallest one for sale here but that's not an ideal solution. Can I use the watermarked pictures from Alamy for this purpose? Or should I make copies with my own watermark for the blog?

Personally I would never put high res photos on a blog unless I know there's image security - nothing larger than 72 dpi at 800 pixels, and definitely watermarked.

Alamy has some HTML examples, that can be found via the Dashboard, to link a blog or your website to your Alamy collection. If you only want to use a few, you could  use the "Share" button for each image which should bring viewers back to Alamy when they click on the image.

14 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Personally I would never put high res photos on a blog unless I know there's image security - nothing larger than 72 dpi at 800 pixels, and definitely watermarked.

Oh yes, I agree with you there. I went even further, the images I've posted are 400x267 pixel only. Not watermarked though and my question was, am I allowed to use the Alamy watermarked images from the site here on my blog or do I have to add my own watermark for them?

17 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

Alamy has some HTML examples, that can be found via the Dashboard, to link a blog or your website to your Alamy collection.

I think those examples are seriously outdated remains from a much earlier version of the website.

19 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

If you only want to use a few, you could  use the "Share" button for each image which should bring viewers back to Alamy when they click on the image.

That would be perfect. It doesn't work for blogs though, only for a few of the big social media places.

Every image page has a share button on the right side of the photo. I only see ones for social media but if people can post to any of these then I would think it's ok to post your Alamy  photo on your own blog. Different blogs use different interfaces but If you know a little HTML it's easy enough to insert a link as we often do on this forum.

I've added my Alamy photos on my own blogs in the past.  The only problem I've found is that Alamy occasionally alter the URL and the link breaks.  For that reason I now prefer to use my own watermarked version and just have the Alamy provided link back to my own portfolio.

Alamy provides a link that enables you to add your complete collection to your own blog. Forgotten how it is done now, but I have it on my own web site. I don't link individual shots.

I have sold a few photos directly from my blog, and theoretically you should do better that way as you are not losing 50%, but in practice, if you are not set up for it,  it's a bit of a hassle, as you have to upload lots of photos, decide a fee, and then provide an invoice etc. I thought I had done quite well selling one shot for use as an office mural but, even after the 50% deduction,  the Alamy sales team got me 10x more for a similar usage!  I'm sure it works for some folk, but not for me.

You can go to your dashboard and look at Additional Revenue Options. One choice is Link to Your Images on Alamy. You will be able to put the link in your blog. The link will take people to a page that will allow people to search only your images. Unfortunately, it hasn't been changed in years and could use a bit of an update. The thumbnails are small and it is not immediately obvious that people can also click on "Images by....... Your Name" to see all the images.

Paulette

Archived