Jump to content
Ed Rooney

An Obvious, Great Subject . . .

Recommended Posts

but it doesn't sell. What's that all about? 

 

Edo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

selfies?

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

maybe most photographers do not look too good on pictures and have to use a meerkat as the picture for their avatar? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

but it doesn't sell. What's that all about? 

 

Edo

 

Keywording, competition, rank and/or flip side effect of "how the h##k could that sell".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, hdh said:

maybe most photographers do not look too good on pictures and have to use a meerkat as the picture for their avatar? 

 

Or hiding behind a camera? Ridiculous: would never happen. ;):)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

If it doesn't sell, then its obviously not a great subject

 

km

 

Possibly, but not necessarily.  Maybe it's just not being seen and therefore not keyworded/captioned well enough; or subjected to a poor CTR owing to issues with the rest/bulk of the portfolio in question.

 

EDIT: Just saw that Martin said essentially the same thing previously.

Edited by losdemas
Other post
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Too much competition perhaps, as it's such an obvious great subject.

 

Pearl

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

take a great set of shots of Niagara Falls or The White House. Good luck!  The usual advice to fledgling stock photographers was to start about there and work outwards.

 

Not any more.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My lunch sells sometimes, but I've never sold an image of a cow. That's might be because I have no images of cows. I was going to clarify after the first two replies, but then I thought I would let this run for a bit. 

 

Two examples: St. Peter's Basilica in Rome. I was very nearby for two weeks in 2008, visiting a friend. I was able to get some good shots at various times of day. I've never had a sale or even a zoom. And I have some telling images of the New York bike rental system that is contrasted with other forms of transport. Again, no sales or zooms. Hmm. There are other examples. 

 

Edo

Edited by Ed Rooney

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's no figuring it out, Ed.  I have uploaded images that I was excited about and thought they were sure-fire sellers.  Like you, not even a glint in a buyer's eye.  And I've sold ones that I thought were bad and with an uninteresting subject that have sold a couple of times each. And those had to be dug up from the further reaches by buyers.

It's weird how that happens.

Then there are the gaps.  I haven't filled many gaps, but was excited when I found a few and covered them.  NaDa.

As the old saying goes, just when you think you know all of the answers, someone changes the questions.

 

Betty

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

There's no figuring it out, Ed.  I have uploaded images that I was excited about and thought they were sure-fire sellers.  Like you, not even a glint in a buyer's eye.  And I've sold ones that I thought were bad and with an uninteresting subject that have sold a couple of times each. And those had to be dug up from the further reaches by buyers.

It's weird how that happens.

Then there are the gaps.  I haven't filled many gaps, but was excited when I found a few and covered them.  NaDa.

As the old saying goes, just when you think you know all of the answers, someone changes the questions.

 

Betty

 

We might also have to recalibrate what we think of as a "crappy photo". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I took some stuff in Porto last year. Usual touristy shots, but the only one to sell was probably the most boring picture of the lot; a street scene outside the entrance to a small shopping mall !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Russell Watkins said:

 

We might also have to recalibrate what we think of as a "crappy photo". 

 

And also consider exactly what stock photography is and isn't about. A crappy photo of a great subject is probably more likely to sell than a great photo of a crappy subject.

 

Alan

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.