Jump to content

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Southmind said:

 

Funny. Years ago the company I was working in, was bought out by investors and we had a new CEO. The first thing he did was to offer every manager this book. A year later, we all knew who had stung our cheese... The company has filed for bankruptcy and the technology gone in China. The employees left in the trash. The only thing I agree with is not to stress for things we do not control. (1) Change is sometimes better but not always...

 

But it is inevitable in business, standing still ain't an option - so it would be foolish to try and stop progression, good or bad - roll with it, step off, whatever, but fighting it - pointless. IMHO of course.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Steve UK said:

The problem with a retailer is there first instinct is to chase market share. I feel Alamy is less a retailer and more like a broadcaster or publisher.

 

Doesn't a broadcaster want a larger audience? Doesn't a publisher want a larger circulation? 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

 

Doesn't a broadcaster want a larger audience? Doesn't a publisher want a larger circulation? 

Absolutely, but the difference is unlike retail, quality content is king, in publishing broadcasting media

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In my last permanent job before I went out as freelance IT Project Director (now there is constant change!). some great advice from a staff confewrence was that to cope with stress in any situation, esp jobs and change was: ACL

Accept that is something you can't change and live with it, OR

Change it, if you can OR

Leave and do something else.

 

They are the three healthy options, anything else is likely to be stressful.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Steve UK said:

Absolutely, but the difference is unlike retail, quality content is king, in publishing broadcasting media

 

I don't understand your point (not trying to be rude). Sounds like you're saying  that in retail quality is not important? And you're likening stock to retail i.e. saying that quality doesn't matter. That I don't agree with. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I agree with what I think Martin is trying to point out, that a new CEO doesn't have to mean something bad. I'm often one of the first ones to have a moan when I see a change that looks to be a bad thing, and I do jump the gun a little sometimes with an opinion, but in this case I don't see it as good OR bad. It's just a change at the top and none of us have any idea how it may affect us, or not at all.

 

Geoff.

 

Spot on, time will tell. Then we make our individual judgement re ACL!

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I agree with what I think Martin is trying to point out, that a new CEO doesn't have to mean something bad. I'm often one of the first ones to have a moan when I see a change that looks to be a bad thing, and I do jump the gun a little sometimes with an opinion, but in this case I don't see it as good OR bad. It's just a change at the top and none of us have any idea how it may affect us, or not at all.

 

Geoff.

 

Yes - better off focusing on "own bit" i.e. make images to the best of one's ability. The rest will sort itself out. All we know is that there will be a new CEO - what that entails we have no scooby-doo about, might be very little or it might change everything. Worrying about it will only cost time and energy, if that instead is used productively or perhaps even pro-actively one will be better prepared for whatever may come. That's me anyway. 

 

PS. Just because the CEO has history in retail doesn't mean anything. A great CEO (fingers crossed) is a dynamic adaptable person, not a one-trick pony.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I agree with what I think Martin is trying to point out, that a new CEO doesn't have to mean something bad. I'm often one of the first ones to have a moan when I see a change that looks to be a bad thing, and I do jump the gun a little sometimes with an opinion, but in this case I don't see it as good OR bad. It's just a change at the top and none of us have any idea how it may affect us, or not at all.

 

Geoff.

Absolutely, anyway it is necessary to wait to have an opinion. I just remembered this book whose contents brought me nothing but evidences.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Martin Carlsson said:

 

I don't understand your point (not trying to be rude). Sounds like you're saying  that in retail quality is not important? And you're likening stock to retail i.e. saying that quality doesn't matter. That I don't agree with. 

Sorry my fault, the point I was trying to make. Was not clear

1 Alamy is not a reatail business and a Ceo from a reatail background not good, Alamy is a media company 

2 retail CEO tend to only chase market share

3 the best modern media company's (net flix, sky, Amazon) are about good quality content. Not market share 

Any clearer 

Edited by Steve UK

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steve UK said:

Sorry my fault, the point I was trying to make. Was not clear

1 Alamy is not a reatail business and a Ceo from a reatail background not good, Alamy is a media company 

2 retail CEO tend to only chase market share

3 the best modern media company's (net flix, sky, Amazon) are about good quality content. Not market share 

Any clearer 

 

Thank you for your effort to explain further. However, your opinion is merely repeated, not much clearer and your point comes across as unsubstantiated. So unfortunately you haven't managed to make me agree with your reasoning or conclusion. Perhaps we just go about looking at it from different perspectives? To me a CEO is not about someone's past or their CV, it's about a special kind of person, a leader with a range of sought after qualities.

 

If a business wouldn't want to increase their market share, something would be fundamentally wrong with that business - stagnation is the enemy of any business.

 

A great CEO can't be pigeon-holed, their skills are applicable anywhere - a CEO is a team leader, leveraging the combined talents of a workforce, motivating, inspiring, making sure everyone pulls in the same direction. In my (humble) opinion a great CEO is someone that can be dropped into any type of business (dynamic), hit the ground running (quick to learn), assess possibilities (visionary/strategic thinker), dare to make tough decisions and set course (assume responsibility), convey that to the workforce (motivation) and then deliver (accountability). 

 

I know nothing about the new CEO, but on the surface of it I think that it is a bold decision by Alamy, clever to bring in an industry outsider, someone with untainted eyes - personally I hope they found a person that ticks all the boxes from my previous paragraph.

 

All above said with a smile, enjoying the discussion. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Southmind said:

Absolutely, anyway it is necessary to wait to have an opinion. I just remembered this book whose contents brought me nothing but evidences.

 

Unfortunately there are no PMs any longer to help. K6YCWA seems to have been the victim of the incorrect metadata monster. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

 

Thank you for your effort to explain further. However, your opinion is merely repeated, not much clearer and your point comes across as unsubstantiated. So unfortunately you haven't managed to make me agree with your reasoning or conclusion. Perhaps we just go about looking at it from different perspectives? To me a CEO is not about someone's past or their CV, it's about a special kind of person, a leader with a range of sought after qualities.

 

If a business wouldn't want to increase their market share, something would be fundamentally wrong with that business - stagnation is the enemy of any business.

 

A great CEO can't be pigeon-holed, their skills are applicable anywhere - a CEO is a team leader, leveraging the combined talents of a workforce, motivating, inspiring, making sure everyone pulls in the same direction. In my (humble) opinion a great CEO is someone that can be dropped into any type of business (dynamic), hit the ground running (quick to learn), assess possibilities (visionary/strategic thinker), dare to make tough decisions and set course (assume responsibility), convey that to the workforce (motivation) and then deliver (accountability). 

 

I know nothing about the new CEO, but on the surface of it I think that it is a bold decision by Alamy, clever to bring in an industry outsider, someone with untainted eyes - personally I hope they found a person that ticks all the boxes from my previous paragraph.

 

All above said with a smile, enjoying the discussion. 

Well said, good points, interesting conversation 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Steve UK said:

Well said, good points, interesting conversation 

 

+1

I like Martin's positivity and clear explanation of his views

Very nearly cancels out my inherent cynicism! 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

New thought.....

if Alamy had a share issue, would you invest.....i might.

you could say we already invest our pictures.

alamy might already be listed somewhere 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Steve UK said:

New thought.....

if Alamy had a share issue, would you invest.....i might.

you could say we already invest our pictures.

alamy might already be listed somewhere 

 

I think that they're too tightly-knit to go down this route. I must say that I think that the profit motive would be even more negative in terms of prospects for contributors in such a scenario.

However, who knows what the future might bring? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Steve UK said:

New thought.....

if Alamy had a share issue, would you invest.....i might.

 you could say we already invest our pictures.

alamy might already be listed somewhere 

 

Interesting thought. Alamy isn't listed and the financial info is limited. So that limits the question from a financial aspect to more of a "believe in" question. My answer then is yes, the DNA at this place, especially if doing a 360, would be that of stability, transparency and trust - Alamy is as human as a stock agency can be, not perfect but personable, which is important to me. So yes, I believe in Alamy, I'm excited about the upcoming  changes at the top and I think the time is ripe to do some canny moves...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, losdemas said:

 

I think that they're too tightly-knit to go down this route. I must say that I think that the profit motive would be even more negative in terms of prospects for contributors in such a scenario.

However, who knows what the future might bring? 

 

Not sure if that is what you meant, but if you are talking about possibility for Alamy to "get listed", then I agree, against that. Also, to get into a significant stock exchange you have to be rather chunky so doubtful that it would be on the horizon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/09/2017 at 10:18, Martin Carlsson said:

 

Not sure if that is what you meant, but if you are talking about possibility for Alamy to "get listed", then I agree, against that. Also, to get into a significant stock exchange you have to be rather chunky so doubtful that it would be on the horizon.

 

Indeed, there is a significant management overhead in running a listed company: reporting requirements, scrutiny etc even on the junior markets such as AIM. A lot of smaller business have regretted the move to be listed, and some have even been taken private again. Caffe Nero for instance.

 

Edited by Martin P Wilson

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My lifelong philosophy has been to not obsess or worry about something I cannot change. I've always been a "wait and see"" person.

Why project the worst when it might turn out to be the best? 

I've had my share of ulcers, three of them nested in my stomach at once. Those were caused by medication. The first was a tense family thing helping my mother through a nasty divorce. It was my extreme worry for her that did me in and trying to protect her from an emotionally abusive man.  I couldn't put my fingers in my ears, turn my back and say, la-la-la-la.  Love will get you every time.

 

So I can be affected for the worse, but I choose to not allow anything that is beyond my control to affect me. 

If things turn out with Alamy not to my liking, I'll just collect my dollies and go home. But I'm a glass half full person, and I'm excited for the future.

Martin Carlson has got it right. My son is an engineer, with a masters in business. I've seen him work for several companies using his education and business smarts for each company, that were widely diversified in their products and goals. He used methods that suited the particular company, and never rubber stamped his methods. A great leader does this.

Betty

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, Jame West is remaining as Chair. I'd expect that nothing too radical, such as a further reduction in our commission, would happen without his say-so. Here's hoping, anyway :-) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Could be a good man. The way I see it, Alamy now have the largest selection of images available on line. Right/Wrong?.

They need a chap who understands how to leverage this strength. This means a bit more diversification and actually killing off smaller competitors by going for their customers. I don't think that Alamy has used its strength in image numbers to get a big enough market share. the right chap at the top should be able to increase sales with what he has got available by eliminating smaller competitors. that should benefit us contributors. I have seen my sales increase every year for the last three years and I have already sold more than last full year.

Prices are not going to increase so the answer is more volume sales from what we have already uploaded. A predator (aimed at competitive sites - not contributors) would be great.

Let's give him a chance to show what he can do for us.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

When Andy Harding takes the seat I hope/wish he would produce a vlog to introduce himself to the contributors and to outline his vision for the business going forward.

 

Allan

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

As I said earlier I am excited and positive about this change. BUT any change to the status quo has the possibility for both positive negative impacts on employees and suppliers.

 

I think it would be prudent to have at least some thoughts about what might happen and have some idea of contingency plans so as not to be caught out.

 

 

As I've got mainly US subjects, I've begun to increase my commitment to a US based marketplace for imagery. Only a coincidence that it's the same time as a new boss comes to Alamy, but the time for me to diversify had come. Probably should have done this years ago, but I liked the simplicity of using one agency. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 

Alamy have a US office - last I heard over 50% of sales revenue comes from there.

 

Out of curiosity I looked at the PACA membership list and I can honestly say that I didn't see anything there that compares with Alamy for editorial content.  The list was a few years old and I was struck by how many website links were now dead! 

Agreed. The other place is not primarily editorial, so I won't be cannibalizing my small portfolio here. Most of what I shoot will be editorial and sent to Alamy, while I hope to build a small collection of commercial images at another company. Alamy's NY office sure looks like a success, but there are lots of customers here and I doubt Alamy has a lock on all of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

I wonder if any of these management-speak phrases will come in useful for the new CEO

 

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/articles/3rWrd4QbjfH9kmLrDbRyc5M/twelve-management-jargon-gems-we-all-love-to-hate

 

You think he might punch a puppy or peel an onion before the close of play?

 

I think just watching a couple of episodes of W1A should do the trick. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.