Have you done your legacy images?

With just over 2,000 images to do at the time, I went through them chronologically back at the end of January/beginning of February - it was one way to pass some dark winter nights! Don't know if it helped, but my sales are up in both volume and revenue on last year. A daunting prospect though if I'd had tens of thousands of images to do!

I don't see the need. I've looked at a number of older images and there's not much I would do other than select a few more supertags. Nothing like the previous great re-do of a few years ago.

My zooms/sales have done better since AIM. The conversion seems to have worked well for me. Or perhaps it worked badly for others.

I still much prefer the way the original (not previous) IM worked, though.

Don't feel bad, John. I seemed to not pay attention for a bit myself. I actually had done 10-20 subs before I noticed. Then, since I started with the oldest for a while, before I skipped around, it was easy to title them.

Betty

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

For those who are actively working on them, I assume you have a method to tell which particular upload you've done.

What I do is this. Since the individual uploads have no title, when I've finished with a whole upload, I give it a title. 

Uploads I have cherry picked the best images to fix  from a particular upload, I give no title which tells me there are images in there that still need fixing.

I do visit images that sell or are zoomed and fix those. 

This method lets me easily see what's done and what's not done. I think it brilliant that the IT people allowed a way to title submissions. Without that feature, I'd be lost to remember what's done, since, like Geoff, I've worked from the back, from the front, and done some subjects.

Betty

Great suggestion, I have started to use it already. Thanks

Kevin

34 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

I've been doing mine a rather haphazard way, by subject. It means it's easier to pic tags for multiple images but makes it impossible to know how many there are left to do.

I may start going through in order - but 30,000 is going to take some time

Yikes, Phil. A daunting task, for sure. You have my respect. :D

15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

OMG so there is. Duh!

Thanks.

Sub names might be handy for locating older images to share tags with. But you don't appear to be able to search on the name, so it's limited to what you can remember. Or make a note of.

I'd always intended for 2017 to be the year for pumping up my numbers on Alamy so the winter of 2016/17 was the ideal time to go through my then just 3000 images to sharpen them up, starting with the eldest. I think I was probably one of the first to finish and it definitely gave rewards with good sales on such a small portfolio including older images. Since finishing Alamy made a number of changes to the IM which sadly seems to have corrupted some of the work I've done. I noticed this from looking at zoomed images so I've no idea how many are affected but the ocd in me is screaming at me to repeat the process.

On 9/2/2017 at 11:33, spacecadet said:

You have unreleased farm buildings and vessels as RF.

Hi spacecadet:

Thanks for being helpful by going over my portfolio.

As John has pointed out a image with unreleased property or people at Alamy can be declared RF editorial only, so the farm buildings are OK. I am unsure which “vessels” you are referring to. If it is the ferry vessel then they are OK as they are also RF editorial only.

To determine if an image is RF editorial only, just click on the thumbnail. This will take you to the buy page. Under the price calculator will be a line that says “Choose an editorial royalty-free license” This will tell you the type of license on offer.

If a client wants to buy a commercial license or an exclusive license or an RM license to my image that is “RF editorial only”, then Alamy sales department will email and ask to remove the restriction. I check my email while at morning coffee for just such requests.

This is the great thing about the forum. With this discussion, I have been able to help you, and maybe someone else listening in.

Now I would like some more help, so please continue to look at my portfolio. I would be happy to have the advice. I may not follow the advice, if I think it is wrong, but I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of following or not following.

Of course I will acknowledge and correct any real mistakes ASAP.

I believe a portfolio as correct as possible is important, and is why I cannot understand why some Forum members would not want to upgrade their keywording and utilize the new designations, RM/RF/RF editorial only, using the new AIM. Upgrading using AIM also forces a photography review, of which I took advantage.

Bill

17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I know of no discussion about it. Found it on my own. 

Thanks. I had seen the "untitled submission" line at the top of AIM,  but I didn't clue into the fact that all I had to do was type over it in order to rename submissions. I've been updating my legacy images by subject and/or location rather than by upload, but renaming submissions might come in handy at some point. As you can tell, I'm not the most organized person on the planet.

4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Thanks. I had seen the "untitled submission" line at the top of AIM,  but I didn't clue into the fact that all I had to do was type over it in order to rename submissions. I've been updating my legacy images by subject and/or location rather than by upload, but renaming submissions might come in handy at some point. As you can tell, I'm not the most organized person on the planet.

I'm not so organized myself, John. But better at that than having technical knowledge. I title all of my new subs as I upload.  You know what's in the batch, so soon as it begins uploading you can title it. 

For instance, a few months back one of my uploads was of chocolate cake, home made. Titling "Chocolate Cake" allows me to find that subject in AIM should I want to duplicate some of the tags for a newly uploaded image.

And Geoff, you are so right about the forum having a forlorn air without Philippe. His personality is larger than life and he injected that energy into his posts.  

There was another Geoff (Kidd) who was very knowledgeable that I believe was driven out a few years ago because a few people were very argumentative with nearly anything he said. He helped me years ago more than I can say through PMs explaining how to do cutouts among other PS skills. A good guy and a gentleman.

And remember Linda Matlow? She withdrew her images to protect them. She's still busy shooting celebs in Chicago. She was up for trying out about every new camera. :D Miss her on the forum, too. But I keep up with her on social media.

Betty

12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

No wish to change from RM, no time to fiddle with 50,000 images, have already played this game several times before, no actual evidence that this will improve sales, sales doing well already, putting effort into other agencies and interests where sales/revenue also rising, no wish to sit at computer any longer than already, see no necessity to do a portfolio review as a result of AIM changes.

Perhaps consider your 'I cannot understand' in terms of reasons given by others in the thread. 

+1

Regen

9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I'm not so organized myself, John. But better at that than having technical knowledge. I title all of my new subs as I upload.  You know what's in the batch, so soon as it begins uploading you can title it. 

For instance, a few months back one of my uploads was of chocolate cake, home made. Titling "Chocolate Cake" allows me to find that subject in AIM should I want to duplicate some of the tags for a newly uploaded image.

And Geoff, you are so right about the forum having a forlorn air without Philippe. His personality is larger than life and he injected that energy into his posts.  

There was another Geoff (Kidd) who was very knowledgeable that I believe was driven out a few years ago because a few people were very argumentative with nearly anything he said. He helped me years ago more than I can say through PMs explaining how to do cutouts among other PS skills. A good guy and a gentleman.

And remember Linda Matlow? She withdrew her images to protect them. She's still busy shooting celebs in Chicago. She was up for trying out about every new camera. :D Miss her on the forum, too. But I keep up with her on social media.

Betty

It certainly does (feeling of forlorn air) and it's never right whenever anyone feels that the only option is to leave, especially tangible when it is knowledgeable, over and beyond helpful people, as well as also good fun forum people. I keep my fingers crossed that Philippe will return, but unfortunately I do get the feeling from him that that chance is virtually nil.

Lively discussions, completely different opinions are absolutely fine, so are the quarrels that happen between those that "can take it", but plain rudeness, argumentative just for the sake of it, goading and evident malicious intent is never ok - no matter how subtly or what form it is delivered in, malice is malice. Personally I can't view people behaving like that anything other than all tough behind their keyboard at safe distance but absolute "read the opposite of winners", doubtful that they would dare to conduct themselves like that in real life, face to face. Manners cost nothing, be classy, show respect, apologies appropriately when needs be - it is all rather easy. Can't help but also observing that it is always (in my experience) males, never females, that are involved in this type of behaviour. Sorry for drifting off-topic.

1 hour ago, Martin Carlsson said:

It certainly does (feeling of forlorn air) and it's never right whenever anyone feels that the only option is to leave, especially tangible when it is knowledgeable, over and beyond helpful people, as well as also good fun forum people. I keep my fingers crossed that Philippe will return, but unfortunately I do get the feeling from him that that chance is virtually nil.

Lively discussions, completely different opinions are absolutely fine, so are the quarrels that happen between those that "can take it", but plain rudeness, argumentative just for the sake of it, goading and evident malicious intent is never ok - no matter how subtly or what form it is delivered in, malice is malice. Personally I can't view people behaving like that i.e. all tough behind their keyboard at safe distance other than absolute "read the opposite of winners", doubtful that they would dare to conduct themselves like that in real life, face to face. Manners cost nothing, be classy, show respect, apologies appropriately when needs be - it is all rather easy. Can't help but also observing that it is always (in my experience) males, never females, that are involved in this type of behaviour. Sorry for drifting off-topic.

You forget about posting out of searing jealousy that a 5 year old would see through, and being naturally contrary. Unfortunately, these people totally discredit themselves. The Forum has lost a  most valuable, knowlegeable and helpful contributor, not to mention very funny. 

Gen

I have been randomly doing my legacy images, a few each day based mainly on measures.  However on the few occasions that I have gone back to check the resulting placement it has actually been worse than before so I am now reluctant to touch them.

Pearl

1 hour ago, Pearl said:

I have been randomly doing my legacy images, a few each day based mainly on measures.  However on the few occasions that I have gone back to check the resulting placement it has actually been worse than before so I am now reluctant to touch them.

Pearl

Indeed - I too have found this - so the only thing I am doing to my legacy images (if I do anything at all) is make the supertags up to 10 by adding 3 or 4 phrases, but not changing the order of the supertags or anything else!

Kumar (the Doc one)

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Indeed - I too have found this - so the only thing I am doing to my legacy images (if I do anything at all) is make the supertags up to 10 by adding 3 or 4 phrases, but not changing the order of the supertags or anything else!

Kumar (the Doc one)

Thanks Kumar,  I was beginning to think it was just me.  Perhaps those reporting better results/sales etc didn't have good placement in the first instance whereas my images are often near the front.

Pearl

My images from past few years are placed high, and I get a lot of zooms. A huge number on the first page.  I plan on checking some of my oldest images that I have fixed and see where they are.

Actually, my placement improvement may have as much to do with caption repair as what I've done with keywords.  I didn't realize the caption was searchable back when and seldom put the location in the caption.

I'll let you know re: old stuff.

Betty

Archived