Betty LaRue

Have you done your legacy images?

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Interesting idea. Just discovered, though, that I have no idea (?) how to give uploads titles. Guess I missed that discussion.

There's a caption bar at the top of each sub with the sub reference in it. You can type your own name over it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've done 2003 to 2010. Yay. Had to do it with a glass of wine or two as my captions and keywords made me cringe. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With just over 2,000 images to do at the time, I went through them chronologically back at the end of January/beginning of February - it was one way to pass some dark winter nights! Don't know if it helped, but my sales are up in both volume and revenue on last year. A daunting prospect though if I'd had tens of thousands of images to do!

Edited by AlanW
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't see the need. I've looked at a number of older images and there's not much I would do other than select a few more supertags. Nothing like the previous great re-do of a few years ago.

 

My zooms/sales have done better since AIM. The conversion seems to have worked well for me. Or perhaps it worked badly for others.

 

I still much prefer the way the original (not previous) IM worked, though.

Edited by Bill Kuta
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

There's a caption bar at the top of each sub with the sub reference in it. You can type your own name over it.

 

OMG so there is. Duh!

 

Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't feel bad, John. I seemed to not pay attention for a bit myself. I actually had done 10-20 subs before I noticed. Then, since I started with the oldest for a while, before I skipped around, it was easy to title them.

Betty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've been doing mine a rather haphazard way, by subject. It means it's easier to pic tags for multiple images but makes it impossible to know how many there are left to do.

I may start going through in order - but 30,000 is going to take some time

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

For those who are actively working on them, I assume you have a method to tell which particular upload you've done.

What I do is this. Since the individual uploads have no title, when I've finished with a whole upload, I give it a title. 

 

Uploads I have cherry picked the best images to fix  from a particular upload, I give no title which tells me there are images in there that still need fixing.

I do visit images that sell or are zoomed and fix those. 

This method lets me easily see what's done and what's not done. I think it brilliant that the IT people allowed a way to title submissions. Without that feature, I'd be lost to remember what's done, since, like Geoff, I've worked from the back, from the front, and done some subjects.

Betty

Great suggestion, I have started to use it already. Thanks

Kevin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Phil Robinson said:

I've been doing mine a rather haphazard way, by subject. It means it's easier to pic tags for multiple images but makes it impossible to know how many there are left to do.

I may start going through in order - but 30,000 is going to take some time

 

Yikes, Phil. A daunting task, for sure. You have my respect. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Interesting idea. Just discovered, though, that I have no idea (?) how to give uploads titles. Guess I missed that discussion.

I know of no discussion about it. Found it on my own. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Yikes, Phil. A daunting task, for sure. You have my respect. :D

Hold the respect until I've actually done it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

OMG so there is. Duh!

 

Thanks.

Sub names might be handy for locating older images to share tags with. But you don't appear to be able to search on the name, so it's limited to what you can remember. Or make a note of.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd always intended for 2017 to be the year for pumping up my numbers on Alamy so the winter of 2016/17 was the ideal time to go through my then just 3000 images to sharpen them up, starting with the eldest. I think I was probably one of the first to finish and it definitely gave rewards with good sales on such a small portfolio including older images. Since finishing Alamy made a number of changes to the IM which sadly seems to have corrupted some of the work I've done. I noticed this from looking at zoomed images so I've no idea how many are affected but the ocd in me is screaming at me to repeat the process.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/2/2017 at 11:33, spacecadet said:

You have unreleased farm buildings and vessels as RF.

 

Hi spacecadet:

 

Thanks for being helpful by going over my portfolio.

As John has pointed out a image with unreleased property or people at Alamy can be declared RF editorial only, so the farm buildings are OK. I am unsure which “vessels” you are referring to. If it is the ferry vessel then they are OK as they are also RF editorial only.

 

To determine if an image is RF editorial only, just click on the thumbnail. This will take you to the buy page. Under the price calculator will be a line that says “Choose an editorial royalty-free license” This will tell you the type of license on offer.

 

If a client wants to buy a commercial license or an exclusive license or an RM license to my image that is “RF editorial only”, then Alamy sales department will email and ask to remove the restriction. I check my email while at morning coffee for just such requests.

 

This is the great thing about the forum. With this discussion, I have been able to help you, and maybe someone else listening in.

 

Now I would like some more help, so please continue to look at my portfolio. I would be happy to have the advice. I may not follow the advice, if I think it is wrong, but I would be happy to discuss the pros and cons of following or not following.

Of course I will acknowledge and correct any real mistakes ASAP.

 

I believe a portfolio as correct as possible is important, and is why I cannot understand why some Forum members would not want to upgrade their keywording and utilize the new designations, RM/RF/RF editorial only, using the new AIM. Upgrading using AIM also forces a photography review, of which I took advantage.

 

Bill

  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

 

 

I believe a portfolio as correct as possible is important, and is why I cannot understand why some Forum members would not want to upgrade their keywording and utilize the new designations, RM/RF/RF editorial only, using the new AIM. Upgrading using AIM also forces a photography review, of which I took advantage.

 

Bill

 

No wish to change from RM, no time to fiddle with 50,000 images, have already played this game several times before, no actual evidence that this will improve sales, sales doing well already, putting effort into other agencies and interests where sales/revenue also rising, no wish to sit at computer any longer than already, see no necessity to do a portfolio review as a result of AIM changes.

 

Perhaps consider your 'I cannot understand' in terms of reasons given by others in the thread. 

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I know of no discussion about it. Found it on my own. 

 

Thanks. I had seen the "untitled submission" line at the top of AIM,  but I didn't clue into the fact that all I had to do was type over it in order to rename submissions. I've been updating my legacy images by subject and/or location rather than by upload, but renaming submissions might come in handy at some point. As you can tell, I'm not the most organized person on the planet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks. I had seen the "untitled submission" line at the top of AIM,  but I didn't clue into the fact that all I had to do was type over it in order to rename submissions. I've been updating my legacy images by subject and/or location rather than by upload, but renaming submissions might come in handy at some point. As you can tell, I'm not the most organized person on the planet.

I'm not so organized myself, John. But better at that than having technical knowledge. I title all of my new subs as I upload.  You know what's in the batch, so soon as it begins uploading you can title it. 

For instance, a few months back one of my uploads was of chocolate cake, home made. Titling "Chocolate Cake" allows me to find that subject in AIM should I want to duplicate some of the tags for a newly uploaded image.

 

And Geoff, you are so right about the forum having a forlorn air without Philippe. His personality is larger than life and he injected that energy into his posts.  

There was another Geoff (Kidd) who was very knowledgeable that I believe was driven out a few years ago because a few people were very argumentative with nearly anything he said. He helped me years ago more than I can say through PMs explaining how to do cutouts among other PS skills. A good guy and a gentleman.

And remember Linda Matlow? She withdrew her images to protect them. She's still busy shooting celebs in Chicago. She was up for trying out about every new camera. :D Miss her on the forum, too. But I keep up with her on social media.

Betty

  • Upvote 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Sheila Smart..... miss her too.

 

Paulette

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, geogphotos said:

 

No wish to change from RM, no time to fiddle with 50,000 images, have already played this game several times before, no actual evidence that this will improve sales, sales doing well already, putting effort into other agencies and interests where sales/revenue also rising, no wish to sit at computer any longer than already, see no necessity to do a portfolio review as a result of AIM changes.

 

Perhaps consider your 'I cannot understand' in terms of reasons given by others in the thread. 

 

+1

 

Regen

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

I'm not so organized myself, John. But better at that than having technical knowledge. I title all of my new subs as I upload.  You know what's in the batch, so soon as it begins uploading you can title it. 

For instance, a few months back one of my uploads was of chocolate cake, home made. Titling "Chocolate Cake" allows me to find that subject in AIM should I want to duplicate some of the tags for a newly uploaded image.

 

And Geoff, you are so right about the forum having a forlorn air without Philippe. His personality is larger than life and he injected that energy into his posts.  

There was another Geoff (Kidd) who was very knowledgeable that I believe was driven out a few years ago because a few people were very argumentative with nearly anything he said. He helped me years ago more than I can say through PMs explaining how to do cutouts among other PS skills. A good guy and a gentleman.

And remember Linda Matlow? She withdrew her images to protect them. She's still busy shooting celebs in Chicago. She was up for trying out about every new camera. :D Miss her on the forum, too. But I keep up with her on social media.

Betty

 

It certainly does (feeling of forlorn air) and it's never right whenever anyone feels that the only option is to leave, especially tangible when it is knowledgeable, over and beyond helpful people, as well as also good fun forum people. I keep my fingers crossed that Philippe will return, but unfortunately I do get the feeling from him that that chance is virtually nil.

 

Lively discussions, completely different opinions are absolutely fine, so are the quarrels that happen between those that "can take it", but plain rudeness, argumentative just for the sake of it, goading and evident malicious intent is never ok - no matter how subtly or what form it is delivered in, malice is malice. Personally I can't view people behaving like that anything other than all tough behind their keyboard at safe distance but absolute "read the opposite of winners", doubtful that they would dare to conduct themselves like that in real life, face to face. Manners cost nothing, be classy, show respect, apologies appropriately when needs be - it is all rather easy. Can't help but also observing that it is always (in my experience) males, never females, that are involved in this type of behaviour. Sorry for drifting off-topic.

Edited by Martin Carlsson
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Martin Carlsson said:

 

It certainly does (feeling of forlorn air) and it's never right whenever anyone feels that the only option is to leave, especially tangible when it is knowledgeable, over and beyond helpful people, as well as also good fun forum people. I keep my fingers crossed that Philippe will return, but unfortunately I do get the feeling from him that that chance is virtually nil.

 

Lively discussions, completely different opinions are absolutely fine, so are the quarrels that happen between those that "can take it", but plain rudeness, argumentative just for the sake of it, goading and evident malicious intent is never ok - no matter how subtly or what form it is delivered in, malice is malice. Personally I can't view people behaving like that i.e. all tough behind their keyboard at safe distance other than absolute "read the opposite of winners", doubtful that they would dare to conduct themselves like that in real life, face to face. Manners cost nothing, be classy, show respect, apologies appropriately when needs be - it is all rather easy. Can't help but also observing that it is always (in my experience) males, never females, that are involved in this type of behaviour. Sorry for drifting off-topic.

 

You forget about posting out of searing jealousy that a 5 year old would see through, and being naturally contrary. Unfortunately, these people totally discredit themselves. The Forum has lost a  most valuable, knowlegeable and helpful contributor, not to mention very funny. 

 

Gen

Edited by gvallee
  • Upvote 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, gvallee said:

.

 

Edited by gvallee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have been randomly doing my legacy images, a few each day based mainly on measures.  However on the few occasions that I have gone back to check the resulting placement it has actually been worse than before so I am now reluctant to touch them.

 

Pearl

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Pearl said:

I have been randomly doing my legacy images, a few each day based mainly on measures.  However on the few occasions that I have gone back to check the resulting placement it has actually been worse than before so I am now reluctant to touch them.

 

Pearl

Indeed - I too have found this - so the only thing I am doing to my legacy images (if I do anything at all) is make the supertags up to 10 by adding 3 or 4 phrases, but not changing the order of the supertags or anything else!

 

Kumar (the Doc one)

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now