Does anyone use the "additional info" field

5 minutes ago, arterra said:

:o

Give me back my green one:angry:

Cheers,

Philippe :P

No I keep it, thank you very much. 😜

3 hours ago, Hellonearth said:

Does anyone use the "additional info" field and if so what for? I understand that it is, in any case, not searchable.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

I have been filling it in with information such as weather conditions, time of day, and season.

Hai

Sometimes I use it to add background information that might be useful to the viewer, especially if it brings out the relevance to the photo of a particular keyword where this might not be obvious from the photo itself.

I use it for additional important information that I do NOT want searchable.

For instance “sculpture also known as "The Archer”” for an image of a sculpture that has nothing to do with archery or an archer.

“The Archer” is a well known local nickname, but misleading. I keyworded the official name of the sculpture and the artist and the location instead.

I do occasionally add extra info if it helps to explain the image.  For example, a photo I took this summer of a dock with a sign saying NOT to feed the sea lions.  I added info that these signs were added after a young girl was dragged into the water by a sea lion at that location (which made international news).  Sometimes I'll mention something about the history of a building, or details on a local festival I am covering.

Interestingly, my last two sales were images that had extra info added.

Maria

I used it a lot when the field was searchable, but seldom now. I made the mistake of giving my early images very brief captions and putting the complete description in the "additional info" box. When the latter was made unsearchable, I had to go back and wade through a couple of thousand images, cutting and pasting info from the 'additional' field to the caption box. I probably still have a number images that need redoing. One of these years...

I use it for detailed information if I have it.  The owner of a weapons collection I photographed gave me detailed notes and I edited those and added them.   (One of them was my second sale).  I'm in Nicaragua so some information may be useful in giving local context.

Not sure if it's relevant now with Super Tags, but I used too try and use the field to add to the caption if I didn't want that element searched for and appearing when the searcher probably didn't want to see it.  For example,  if a well known landmark is in the background and helps add a little context, but not visible enough to warrant appearing  in a discrete search for the landmark and possibly undermining CTR.  Now I try and cover the scenario with Tags and Super tags.

I use it occasionally to provide background information that would not be helpful as keywords, or to provide additional clarification as to the relevance of the photo. Probably less than 10% of my photos. I imagine that some buyers might want the additional reassurance that the shot is relevant to their needs.

I have always used what was, in the old image manager, the Description Field, to provide a comprehensive caption with as much relevant detail as I can give on what is in the photo. Now that field is called 'additional info' and in 95% of my images it contains significant information which will not fit into the 150 character limit of the caption field. It may not be searchable but I operate on the basis that it will provide the careful buyer with information that confirms that this is the image they are looking for. 

I would find it dreadfully limiting to only use the 150 characters of the caption field and ignore the 'additional info' field.

I use it to paste details from, say, Wikipedia. I then cut and paste individual words or phrases for the caption or for tagging. As the information is relevant to the image I always leave the details there.

John.

For very long captions - they just go there automatically.

Also, info that could be relevant to a buyer, that that you don't want coming up in searches.

eg. sport. If you do a search for any tennis player you always get results for other players - because they were playing the one you were searching for and they are mentioned in the caption.

Nobody searching for 'Novak Djokovic' wants to see images of Gael Monfils coming up, but they might want to know that the pic was taken during the final at Eastbourne (they won't want to see pictures of the seafront at Eastbourne either) when they were playing each other.

Archived