Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Hey everyone!

 

I've been with Alamy for almost two months and have learnt a fair bit so far.

 

Would like your feedback on my images so far and room for improvement.

 

Cheers

 

Hai :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well done for starting your own thread Hai, it was supposed to be in the 'Let's Talk about Pics' section but it will do.

 

For what it's worth, here are my 2 cents, I'm sure some people will disagree.

As Philippe already commented, I think overall your pictures look very flat. I would push the saturation quite a bit.

Also lots of shadows that could be opened up.

Do you shoot Raw?

 

Your captions and tags are good, which is very important.

 

Gen

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arterra said:

Calibration looks OK, but image quality could be improved with better Photoshop skills. Quality doesn't seem even.

 

View of shrine in cave with statue of Shakyamuni Buddha in lotus position. Linh Ung Non Nuoc Pagoda. Da Nang. VIETNAM - Stock Image not enough contrast / saturation

Ok. Noted. will increase contrast and saturation.

 

1 hour ago, arterra said:

Yellow leaf tree during Autumn. Camden. New South Wales. AUSTRALIA - Stock Image  good contrast and saturation but blue sky looks unnatural

With this image, I had chosen "vivid" on picture control in Nikon so I actually think the saturation is too much. Hence the sky looking too blue. I was actually intending to reprocess this image and deleting this one so you picked it up!

 

1 hour ago, arterra said:

Bankstown. New South Wales. AUSTRALIA. 29th July 2017. People enjoying the Bankstown Bites Festival 2017 29th July - Stock Image  could do with lighting up the shadows

This was a live news attempt so I admit I didn't do any processing at all. I've got others from the Bankstown Bites festival which are substandard due to no processing. I'm thinking to reprocess these images and reupload.

1 hour ago, arterra said:

View of shrine in cave with incense smoke drifting upwards in light, Linh Ung Non Nuoc Pagoda. Da Nang. VIETNAM - Stock Image  lack of contrast, overexposed parts

I had a lot of trouble with this image. I can easily increase contrast but the overexposed parts is not easy to fix. I took this shot in a cave with direct light on one part of the shrine and the other in total darkness so I don't know how to use photoshop to bring the highlights down. I've tried with Capture NXD with highlight protection to the maximum setting.

 

Laptop? Looks like done by ten different people on ten different computers (did I mention that already? :huh:)

 

Cheers,

Philippe

 

Thanks Philippe!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gvallee said:

Well done for starting your own thread Hai, it was supposed to be in the 'Let's Talk about Pics' section but it will do.

 

For what it's worth, here are my 2 cents, I'm sure some people will disagree.

As Philippe already commented, I think overall your pictures look very flat. I would push the saturation quite a bit.

Also lots of shadows that could be opened up.

Do you shoot Raw?

 

Your captions and tags are good, which is very important.

 

Gen

 

 

My bad, I was slightly rushed and posted in the wrong section.

 

Its interesting that you noted my saturation levels were down. I actually started off with too much saturation two months and have come down from on my saturation. I will push one of my images and see what you think.

I do shoot in raw which is lucky because all my images are raw from when I first owned the camera. I must've had some sense to shoot in raw! :)

 

I need to work on my photoshop ability. I've been trying to bring the shadows out with Capture NX-D before processing in Photoshop. I use the shadow protection.

 

Thanks for positive feedback on captions and tags which I've been trying to keep consistently to a high standard.

 

Hai

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, arterra said:

Laptop?

 

Cheers,

Philippe

Yes.

I don't have ability to use a desktop which is limiting i agree

Edited by Hai Nguyen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DSC_0611_00001

 

I've had an attempt at trying to improve this image.

 

What are your thoughts?

 

Hai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, arterra said:

 

MUCH better ......... when looking at this size. You should look at 100% to see if there are no digital artefacts (in the dark areas) because they might pop up when fiddling too much with the Photoshop settings.

 

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks for the feedback Philippe!

 

Yes I do check at 100% after I failed QC on one image due to camera shake!

I have found digital artefacts start popping up in the shadows. I'm not sure if I'm doing the right thing by trying to use noise reduction to reduce this? It seems to reduce but not sure if this is the best way to deal with them.

 

I'll have to go back and look back at some of my images before calibrating. May have to reupload after reprocessing...

 

Hai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, arterra said:

Tip for the top:

Open the same shot twice in RAW:

  1. concentrate on the bright parts. Make sure you see details in those. Ignore how the shadows turn out.
  2. concentrate on the dark parts. Make sure you see details in those. Ignore how the bright parts turn out.

Now combine the best of both versions in layers ;)

 

Cheers,

Philippe

Thanks Philippe!

 

That's a really good tip. I never thought of that.

 

Cheers

 

Hai :)

 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, arterra said:

 

MUCH better ......... when looking at this size. You should look at 100% to see if there are no digital artefacts (in the dark areas) because they might pop up when fiddling too much with the Photoshop settings.

 

Cheers,

Philippe

 

Was the bright green to the right of the around the stones there when you shot it or is it due to processing. Doesn't look good to me.

 

Allan

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Allan Bell said:

 

Was the bright green to the right of the around the stones there when you shot it or is it due to processing. Doesn't look good to me.

 

Allan

 

 

Hi Allan.

 

The image that is in my portfolio is without photoshop. Picture control standard. Bit bland but the green moss is more natural looking. As ive increased saturation with vivid and increasing saturation and contrast , the green moss looks unnatural.  Part of my concern as to why i didnt want to fiddle with the image too much! Not sure how to deal with this green moss!!

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can choose individually the colour you wish to saturate/desaturate, both in ACR and PS.

 

For example, when I get blue fringing in foliage, I select blue only and desaturate.

 

Gen

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, gvallee said:

You can choose individually the colour you wish to saturate/desaturate, both in ACR and PS.

 

For example, when I get blue fringing in foliage, I select blue only and desaturate.

 

Gen

Thanks Gen for the technique!

 

That sounds like it could work!

I was actually going to try and saturate everything but the green moss but I wasn't sure if it would look right.

 

I will try your technique and post the result.

 

Cheers

 

Hai :)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hai Nguyen said:

Yes.

I don't have ability to use a desktop which is limiting i agree

 

You don't have to have a desktop.  For four years I used my laptop like a desktop.  Attached a monitor and used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.  The monitor is the key thing, not the computer.

 

Jill

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ok,

 

Thanks to Gen I've tried to desaturate the green in the green moss...

 

See what you think.

 

Cheers

 

Hai :)

 

DSC_0611_00001desaturated green

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Hai Nguyen said:

Ok,

 

Thanks to Gen I've tried to desaturate the green in the green moss...

 

See what you think.

 

Cheers

 

Hai :)

 

DSC_0611_00001desaturated green

 

 

 

The green is much better, less acid. Now what I would do is probably pull the White slider to the left. I would have a go myself but I'm on the road with only a laptop and an occasional Internet connection. And remember, it's only me!

 

Gen

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

 

You don't have to have a desktop.  For four years I used my laptop like a desktop.  Attached a monitor and used a bluetooth keyboard and mouse.  The monitor is the key thing, not the computer.

 

Jill

Thanks Jill,

 

I might be acquiring a monitor from a friend... that should improve things.

 

Hai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, arterra said:

 

Don't forget the importance of the graphics card ;)

 

Cheers,

Philippe

Noted

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, gvallee said:

 

The green is much better, less acid. Now what I would do is probably pull the White slider to the left. I would have a go myself but I'm on the road with only a laptop and an occasional Internet connection. And remember, it's only me!

 

Gen

Thanks Gen,

 

I've brought down the brightness a fraction. Looks better. I will have to reupload to Alamy after I'm finished.

 

Hai :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.