Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Just seen this announced. It might be too much for stock but it's a bit of a beast. Maybe there will be a price drop on the D810 though, ;) Chuck Nacke! Your thoughts?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I spoke to one of the Canon executives when the 50 megapixel 5DS came out. And the first thing he said "it's not for you (news photographers etc), it's for people shooting landscapes and advertising with tripods". The more MP the sensor, the more unforgiving the camera is re camera shake. And you might need to upgrade your lenses, because of the resolution. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, vpics said:

I spoke to one of the Canon executives when the 50 megapixel 5DS came out. And the first thing he said "it's not for you (news photographers etc), it's for people shooting landscapes and advertising with tripods". The more MP the sensor, the more unforgiving the camera is re camera shake. And you might need to upgrade your lenses, because of the resolution. 

 

Yes I remember Alamy QC failing some that had bought the D800 when it first came out for that reason and the advice was to downsize images in post process.

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was sceptical of very high mp cameras until I obtained a Nikon D800 a few years ago. The higher pixel count allows me to use a 300mm or 400mm lens and crop substantially. It’s a lot cheaper than buying a 600mm or 800mm lens. 9 frames per sec on the new D850 is an improvement on the D800 and almost up with the D4s. I like it.

Link to post
Share on other sites

When I got my D800 it was a learning curve, very unforgiving of camera shake or too low shutter speeds, but I've adapted to it. I did buy it primarily for landscapes where it excels (for 35mm). Even on a travel tripod in windy conditions it would show shake, your image taking process needs to be aware of it.

 

The one weakness I have with the D800 is the relatively low FPS for sports and wildlife, the D850 seems to be able to go to 9FPS which is good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder what the ISO performance is like because that's what lets the 610 and 810 down compared to the dx models and I don't know why that is the case. Surely in this IT/electronic age this shouldn't be a factor any longer?

Link to post
Share on other sites

You can still use DX lenses on FX, either with vignette on full frame, or you can use the crop modes in the camera to mitigate it slightly. You will have to find out if the camera will out resolve those DX lenses though.

 

Depends what you shoot, I love the high MP for landscapes, wildlife, the extra reach of DX is nice to have for sports and smaller animals etc. Even with 36mp I like to do multi shot panoramas, I'm hoping that some buyers will want those larger dimension images for certain uses.

 

The biggest pain is the storage cost and increased processing times, Lightroom definitely ambles along at times, editing my backup D3300 files you can tell the difference in time.

Edited by JamesH
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, JamesH said:

When I got my D800 it was a learning curve, very unforgiving of camera shake or too low shutter speeds, but I've adapted to it.

 

That's why they work so well it VR lenses and one of the reason that VR was 'invented' 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Matt Limb said:

 

That's why they work so well it VR lenses and one of the reason that VR was 'invented' 

 

Unfortunately I've never owned a lens with VR (minus the d3300 kit lens) so I have to try my best without. Landscapes i turn on exposure delay mode or use mirror up.

Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, JamesH said:

Unfortunately I've never owned a lens with VR (minus the d3300 kit lens) so I have to try my best without. Landscapes i turn on exposure delay mode or use mirror up.

 

They are worth the investment, helped me with a few 1/30 second exposures on a long lens 

Link to post
Share on other sites

That 50 +/- MPix is unforgiving, I fully agree, but as James says further up, one fully adopts to it. 

Also recommend to use the sharpest lenses available, I tend and prefer now to use prime lenses (35, 50 and 80).

 

As for VR (or IS / OS, ...) keep in mind that this is great for a handheld shot, once mounted on a tripod the results are usually sharper when it is switched off. 

Albeit I admit personal experience is with the Sigma 120-300 only - but heard similar advise for other lenses.

 

Rule of thumb to equate shutter speed to 1 over focal length does not hold for me anymore. 

Best results I get with 1 over three to four times focal length and when held steadily going down to 1 over 2 times focal length. 

 

ISO is also not part of the strength of high megapix's, I do not go beyond 1.600.  

 

But said all this, the quality of a tag sharp full frame image is second to none and also it gives additional cropping possibilities that more than make up for these nuisances.

I am not a Nkon fan though, but that is philosophical, as for the question, or doubt I should say; This is probably not too much for stock but comes down to the individual preferences at the end. Are you willing to trade the nuisances for the gain? 

 

Edited by hdh
typo
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Matt Limb said:

 

They are worth the investment, helped me with a few 1/30 second exposures on a long lens 

 

Yes, there are days I have cursed myself for not investing in any, mainly my telephoto lenses, but I try and make do, I admit I have probably lost a few images due to it.

3 hours ago, hdh said:

That 50 +/- MPix is unforgiving, I fully agree, but as James says further up, one fully adopts to it. 

Also recommend to use the sharpest lenses available, I tend and prefer now to use prime lenses (35, 50 and 80).

 

As for VR (or IS / OS, ...) keep in mind that this is great for a handheld shot, once mounted on a tripod the results are usually sharper when it is switched off. 

Albeit I admit personal experience is with the Sigma 120-300 only - but heard similar advise for other lenses.

 

Rule of thumb to equate shutter speed to 1 over focal length does not hold for me anymore. 

Best results I get with 1 over three to four times focal length and when held steadily going down to 1 over 2 times focal length. 

 

ISO is also not part of the strength of high megapix's, I do not go beyond 1.600.  

 

But said all this, the quality of a tag sharp full frame image is second to none and also it gives additional cropping possibilities that more than make up for these nuisances.

I am not a Nkon fan though, but that is philosophical, as for the question, or doubt I should say; This is probably not too much for stock but comes down to the individual preferences at the end. Are you willing to trade the nuisances for the gain? 

 

 

I have usually gone for primes, the only two zooms I have are the 18-35mm and an older 80-200mm. The 80-200mm has its "characteristics" shall we say but is still capable on the D800. I bought a few older AIS lenses which are very nice and sharp, and apart from manual focusing they meter fine and can work in Aperture priority without issue.

 

Yes always turn off VR on a tripod, it will work against you otherwise.

 

I also don't venture far beyond ISO 1600, a few night shots up to 6400 but I usually take a longer lower ISO foreground shot if it's landscapes.

 

When you get the shot right seeing all that detail on the screen is rewarding.

Link to post
Share on other sites

High MP cameras are very useful for portraiture as it is very simple to shoot in horizontal with a heavy lens (70-200 say) on  a monopod. Much easier than turning camera vertical and you still have an image suitable for A3 or bigger print. This is in addition to the normal crop advantage using lighter lenses for equivalent images. Having said that, I'm happy with 36MP, 46 is over the top. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

HaHa. No. Of course not. I have a five year old D800E that does that job perfectly anong many other things. I was just pointing out one of the great advantages of a high MP DSLR. There are several othets as people have mentioned above and elsewhere on the forum. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/27/2017 at 09:57, arterra said:

They have to keep pushing "something" or they won't sell new cameras. But aren't there limits? 45.7 MP seems way over the top unless for very specific uses which maybe 0.001 percent of us practice ;)

If it's to make severe crops when shooting wildlife, better buy a camouflage jacket, develop your stalking skills and learn to outsmart the animals. Bloody hell, THAT'S the fun in wildlife photography :D 

 

FKMDHK.jpg

Nikon D100   6.1 MP

No need to crop ......... need to stalk ........... like a leopard ;)

 

Cheers,

Philippe

 

lol, exactly what I did, Camou jacket, trousers and cap - I look like an army guy in that. 

Still the kingfisher letting me down. 

the one I know habitates a lake, which is split into more than a handful of small lakes. 

When I am at one, waiting in the bushes and having pointed my camera at one of his sit-outs, he presumably is on the other lake on another sit out. 

Had the occasional flyby's of him and spotted him a few times through the bushes - but nothing worth a picture yet. 

Also that guy is extremely shy, as soon as something moves he's gone. 

 

Guess I need to become much better on the stalking skills.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks Philippe, 

 

2. found one and in place  

3 Stick is thick enough for some fish bashing

  placed  it so it is horizontal and in a convenient kingfisher height above the water

4. Place has got great light at sunrise and I usually go from 6-9 am, with light starting @ about 8am   

     but this is direct sunlight, and I may take your advice looking for a place more in the shade. 

5. (as I do not have 1) )  hiding in my camouflage behind a bush that has some free view for the lens (I cut this a bit to my liking, but its not too great when too much wind)    

     as for the wait .... yes, done that been there ... and to be continued

 

back to 1) 

At times I thought getting one of these: 

hunter-wearing-ghillie-suit-for-camoufla

 

nice photos by the way!

Cheers

 

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was surprised how many think of a camera purchase on the basis of alamy usage as a primary factor. That got me thinking.

 

Which brings me to the thought - has anyone seen any price differentials applied for larger images - maybe its something Alamy should consider. I know I generally upload at 3600 px and keep the large version for my uses (display prints) but if I could get a higher rate for a 6k image I would upload that. Is this a "thing" ?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.