Jump to content
Sally

Using Alamy-Lightroom Bridge for Live News upload

Recommended Posts

I have been using this great add on to upload stock photos for a while now, but tried to do so for Live News for the first time yesterday. I couldn't work out how to do it, and got an upload error message saying that an IPTC field needed to be set to NEWS in each of the photos.

i haven't been able to work out exactly where this field is, but I'm sure someone here will be able to enlighten me. Is it in the default fields list or the Bridge Alamy/Alamy Plus list? 

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In Library module fill in title caption and then scroll down and fill in headline under IPTC . The headline is the group name for the all of the upload .

 

What is the lightroom plug in I have not seen that ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sally said:

I have been using this great add on to upload stock photos for a while now, but tried to do so for Live News for the first time yesterday. I couldn't work out how to do it, and got an upload error message saying that an IPTC field needed to be set to NEWS in each of the photos.

i haven't been able to work out exactly where this field is, but I'm sure someone here will be able to enlighten me. Is it in the default fields list or the Bridge Alamy/Alamy Plus list? 

 

When you Upload to Alamy did you select News in the drop down?

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt Limb said:

 

When you Upload to Alamy did you select News in the drop down?

 

Hi, yes I did and I had both caption and headline filled in but still got error message that IPTC wasn't completed correctly and needed News put in somewhere. But I think I need to try what GSImages has suggested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the export dialog box for the plugin there is a drop down field under upload settings called "Image Class", which is usually set to "Stock".  I believe this needs to be changed to "News".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Sally,

 

I emailed Alamy live news when my live news submission failed due to wrong fields being entered. They can send you a test image with the metadata IPTC fields filled in for the headine and caption and the format that they like. You can then open up in bridge, lightroom or photoshop and see where they want that information.

 

Cheers

 

Hai

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, CHP said:

In the export dialog box for the plugin there is a drop down field under upload settings called "Image Class", which is usually set to "Stock".  I believe this needs to be changed to "News".

Aye , I did that but it still failed. It seems to be a question of where the caption and headline are put.

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Hai Nguyen said:

Hi Sally,

 

I emailed Alamy live news when my live news submission failed due to wrong fields being entered. They can send you a test image with the metadata IPTC fields filled in for the headine and caption and the format that they like. You can then open up in bridge, lightroom or photoshop and see where they want that information.

 

Cheers

 

Hai

Yes, worth a try, thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sally

 

I think I have had the same issue in the past,when I export without using the plugin - which I do from my laptop - no issue

 

It could be an error with the plugin?

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Matt Limb said:

Sally

 

I think I have had the same issue in the past,when I export without using the plugin - which I do from my laptop - no issue

 

It could be an error with the plugin?

 

 

 

I've gotten errors with every other update since November or so.The last Lightroom Plugin was fine but since I updated I can no longer connect - some kind of "internal error"

For anyone who is getting errors it might be worth the time to check and make sure you have the latest version.

 

fD

Edited by fotoDogue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, fotoDogue said:

 

I've gotten errors with every other update since November or so.The last Lightroom Plugin was fine but since I updated I can no longer connect - some kind of "internal error"

For anyone who is getting errors it might be worth the time to check and make sure you have the latest version.

 

fD

 

The only issue for me has been a News upload and as I said above not sure if it is a fault

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Southpole said:

In Library module fill in title caption and then scroll down and fill in headline under IPTC . The headline is the group name for the all of the upload .

 

What is the lightroom plug in I have not seen that ?

Alamy-Lightroom Bridge. It's brilliant, but not very easy to get to grips with. 

https://www.lightroom-plugins.com/AlamyIndex.php

 

Not sorted my problem yet but will need to wait until the next news upload to try again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Sally said:

Alamy-Lightroom Bridge. It's brilliant, but not very easy to get to grips with. 

https://www.lightroom-plugins.com/AlamyIndex.php

 

Not sorted my problem yet but will need to wait until the next news upload to try again.

 

Sally, keep me updated and i will copy a note to Jim Kier 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Matt Limb said:

 

Sally, keep me updated and i will copy a note to Jim Kier 

OK, I have worked out the answer to my problem.  It would be helpful to include this in the manual for the Bridge programme, as I don't think that it is covered in it. In the default metadata list there are 'TITLE' and 'CAPTION' fields.  The second needs to be completed for each photo.  'TITLE'  was the field I thought would  group the news photos together, but you need to go to Alamy Plus in the dropdown menu of Metadata and complete the field labelled 'HEADLINE', as the overall group tag for the photos being uploaded.

 

 

 

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Sally said:

OK, I have worked out the answer to my problem.  It would be helpful to include this in the manual for the Bridge programme, as I don't think that it is covered in it. In the default metadata list there are 'TITLE' and 'CAPTION' fields.  The second needs to be completed for each photo. There is also a 'TITLE'  field which I thought was the field to group the news photos together, but you need to go to Alamy Plus in the dropdown menu of Metadata and complete the field labelled 'HEADLINE', which is the overall group tag for the photos being uploaded.

 

 

 

I stand corrected. It still didn't work the way I wanted it to. There really needs to be a proper manual about how to do this stuff. The upload worked Ok as stated, but choosing the upload option of 'Entertainment' has simply put my photos into the normal QC route, and given that it is now the weekend it means that they wont be available for some days. i can only presume that I should have chosen the upload option of 'NEWS'. I assumed that the 'ENTERTAINMENT' option would go to the NEWS subset.

 

This is particularly important given that the image quality process is different for normal stock photos versus News photos.

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Sally said:

I stand corrected. It still didn't work the way I wanted it to. There really needs to be a proper manual about how to do this stuff. The upload worked Ok as stated, but choosing the upload option of 'Entertainment' has simply put my photos into the normal QC route, and given that it is now the weekend it means that they wont be available for some days. i can only presume that I should have chosen the upload option of 'NEWS'. I assumed that the 'ENTERTAINMENT' option would go to the NEWS subset.

 

This is particularly important given that the image quality process is different for normal stock photos versus News photos.

 

As a quick test - have you tried to upload to New without using the plus in?  That is simply export the images to the hard drive then upload to the Alamy website

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Matt Limb said:

 

As a quick test - have you tried to upload to New without using the plus in?  That is simply export the images to the hard drive then upload to the Alamy website

 

 

Yes that is how I did it in the end yesterday (which means I have the same photos now sitting in QC so not sure what to do about that).  The drop down list when you use bridge to upload to Alamy appears to include the different categories of photos ie stock/news/archive but choosing 'Entertainment' resulted in photos being in QC, so surely some error there.  I will also be uploading to archive photos in near future - hope that it is going to work properly!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I remain perplexed about how to get photos into Alamy Live News using Alamy-Lightroom Bridge, and there doesnt appear to be anything anywhere that gives instructions.  I haven't had any joy yet getting help from Alamy.

 

I just tried it yet again this evening.  Upload only works at all if the 'Alamy Plus' Headline field is completed (and 'News' selected in the drop down menu of course). In AIM the submission initially appeared as Upload: News but with Images in QC also shown. Then a few minutes later it changed to Stock and the images were in the normal QC route.  So once again I had to export to the hard drive an upload manually.  It's very confusing.

 

Does anyone else use Bridge to upload to News and have any suggestions about what I may be doing wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I only use Bridge in Photoshop. 

 

I've never heard of Alamy Plus. Maybe that's just a Lightroom thing. 

 

Shame that field names are not identical across platforms.

 

Image Class - Intellectual Genre

Title - Headline

Caption - Description

 

Or maybe that's a US/UK thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, vpics said:

I only use Bridge in Photoshop. 

 

I've never heard of Alamy Plus. Maybe that's just a Lightroom thing. 

 

Shame that field names are not identical across platforms.

 

Image Class - Intellectual Genre

Title - Headline

Caption - Description

 

Or maybe that's a US/UK thing.

Sorry I probably wasn't very clear. Alamy Plus is the Bridge drop down section in metadata where all the Alamy fields are. This works fine, as you say, completing the fields Headline and Description to upload to Stock, but not for Live News.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.