Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I keep filling in everything in the image in the Alamy editing and yet the orange line sying for sale. Why dont it turn green?  am I doing something wrong?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, arterra said:

You didn't forget the second page (number of persons / releases / location / etc.....)?

 

Cheers,

Philippe

Hi Philippe!  no I didnt!  every single bit is filled in and yet as far as discovering its just an orange line??  might be a glitch I suppose?

 

cheers!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, christian58 said:

Hi Philippe!  no I didnt!  every single bit is filled in and yet as far as discovering its just an orange line??  might be a glitch I suppose?

 

cheers!

 

I think to go green you need a minimum of 40 keywords (maximum 50 ) and 5 of those as supertags (maximum 10). However, "discoverability" means nothing in terms of search placement etc. - so nothing to really to worry about.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Martin Carlsson said:

 

I think to go green you need a minimum of 40 keywords (maximum 50 ) and 5 of those as supertags (maximum 10). However, "discoverability" means nothing in terms of search placement etc. - so nothing to really to worry about.

Thanks Martin!  Ok I get it, so really the colour of that line means very little. Ok fine.

 

cheers mate!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, christian58 said:

Thanks Martin!  Ok I get it, so really the colour of that line means very little. Ok fine.

 

cheers mate!

Yes as long as you have filled out enough to get it "on sale", then as usual only worry about relevant keywords and choose a few that you want to give an extra boost. 95% of mine are orange.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While a lot of my images don't get in the green because of a simple subject, as I work slowly on my legacy images, I find a few that are almost ready to go green. Most of these I have used, Oklahoma,US,USA,United States, in my keywords.

After a thread here a few months ago, it was discussed using every possible tag for my country. I've been trying to add U.S.,U.S.A.,North America to those legacy images. No spamming, but often they do get me in the green.

 

I doubt being in the green does anything in and of itself, but does serve the purpose to make me think whether I am missing good appropriate tags. I often find I missed adding semi-important ones, and the use of phrases. So if discoverability is worth anything, it has gotten me to use it in the way I believe Alamy meant it to be used.  By putting on my thinking cap and checking that I've not missed adding important tags and phrases. 

Many times, after those "thinking cap" additions, I'm still not in the green and that's perfectly fine. But I have covered the image tags to the best of my ability, and that, to me, is what's important.

Betty

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/08/2017 at 13:43, arterra said:

You didn't forget the second page (number of persons / releases / location / etc.....)?

 

Cheers,

Philippe

If you are worried about going green, then the second page ( optional tab) is worth filling in. Some of mine have gone green after completing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

While a lot of my images don't get in the green because of a simple subject, as I work slowly on my legacy images, I find a few that are almost ready to go green. Most of these I have used, Oklahoma,US,USA,United States, in my keywords.

After a thread here a few months ago, it was discussed using every possible tag for my country. I've been trying to add U.S.,U.S.A.,North America to those legacy images. No spamming, but often they do get me in the green.

 

I doubt being in the green does anything in and of itself, but does serve the purpose to make me think whether I am missing good appropriate tags. I often find I missed adding semi-important ones, and the use of phrases. So if discoverability is worth anything, it has gotten me to use it in the way I believe Alamy meant it to be used.  By putting on my thinking cap and checking that I've not missed adding important tags and phrases. 

Many times, after those "thinking cap" additions, I'm still not in the green and that's perfectly fine. But I have covered the image tags to the best of my ability, and that, to me, is what's important.

Betty

The important thing, I find, is to look at the searches for your images and pick up on any terms that haven't been applied to photos you know ought to have been included.  I have added quite a few missed search terms as a result.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Sally said:

The important thing, I find, is to look at the searches for your images and pick up on any terms that haven't been applied to photos you know ought to have been included.  I have added quite a few missed search terms as a result.

Great idea, Sally!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

Great idea, Sally!

Thing I find annoying is when you miss out variations of words eg

birdwatcher, bird watcher

sign post, signpost

lamp post, lamppost et etc

Edited by Sally

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

 

I often miss out some of the obvious ones. It really pays to go back though images another day and add any you missed. Yesterday I looked at some of my lifeguard photos and realised I hadn't used "UK" in any of the tags, so I spent the next hour adding "lifeguards UK", "lifeguard UK", etc., and a few others I thought of.

 

Last week I looked at one of my images, the subject which I cannot remember now, but the most obvious descriptive tag was not there. As I forget which it was, let's say for example it was an image of a dancer. I missed out "dancer". I had lots of other "clever" tags, but not what it actually was.  :lol:

 

Geoff.

Yep, it's an endless task ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sally said:

Thing I find annoying is when you miss out variations of words eg

birdwatcher, bird watcher

sign post, signpost

lamp post, lamppost et etc

I do a fair job at that, but I'm sure I miss some. Especially on my older images. Arggh, thinking about revisiting them wears me out!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, GS-Images said:

 

I often miss out some of the obvious ones. It really pays to go back though images another day and add any you missed. Yesterday I looked at some of my lifeguard photos and realised I hadn't used "UK" in any of the tags, so I spent the next hour adding "lifeguards UK", "lifeguard UK", etc., and a few others I thought of.

 

Last week I looked at one of my images, the subject which I cannot remember now, but the most obvious descriptive tag was not there. As I forget which it was, let's say for example it was an image of a dancer. I missed out "dancer". I had lots of other "clever" tags, but not what it actually was.  :lol:

 

Geoff.

That's because your mind is on concepts, Geoff! :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

 I can't imagine that many contributors have the time or inclination to go through all this palaver. This would be the third or fourth time that the work has had to be redone. 

 

 

I hope not!  It gives those of us with smallish ports and who do the work a leg up in searches.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, arterra said:

 

:(

 

Cheers,

Philippe

Philippe, you do all the work in the beginning, not like some of us who sometimes draw blanks at the time.  ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Spot on Geogphotos- 

 

All my files remain resolutely orange. I have never been back and altered or added  a single keyword since uploading and totally ignored the various changes suggested/requested by Alamy over the years. Strangely my zooms and CTR have continued to rise along with the volume of sales but spending time on old files is a mugs game when total income continues to fall. I don't like computer work and could earn more per hour stacking shelves in Tescos! It is also getting on for 3 years since I uploaded any new files because it is simply no longer profitable.

 

Regen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

 

But does it? Doesn't adding enough keywords to make the image go Green mean that CTR is going to be hit?

I don't aim for green. As I said, discoverability is, for me, a reminder to see whether I've forgotten tags that are pertinent to the image, and adding them. If they go green, that's beside the point. 

If I only add tags that fit the image, then I won't be getting inappropriate search results that harms CTR. I do not spam. Spamming would hurt CTR. 

I just worked on 20-30 legacy images today.  I might have added a tag or two to some, a phrase or two to others.  I think I changed two or three to green, some others firmly stayed in orange, and many already had 50+ tags that I could do nothing with without spending a lot of time eliminating duplicates that happened with the changeover.

Funny thing about that. Some people used comprehensive to duplicate Main tags. I never did. Comprehensive was used for # of people, location, tags like outdoors, day, daytime, nobody.   No dupes. Yet when AIM went live, my images were chocked full of duplicates from ALL fields. :angry:

Betty

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.