Ecofriendly stock photography !?

2 hours ago, Bryan said:

I was fortunate in living adjacent to an ex railway cycle path that I used to get to work ( 16 mile round trip). Saved the cost of a second car, and kept me fit.  I still use the bike to get around, and in conjunction with photography.  Being an aged citizen I also make maximum use of my bus pass, so most local trips are by bike or bus. 

Most of my sales are of local subjects, weirdly they are either within a 20 mile radius of home,  or from the US of A (visiting my elder son and his family, who were car less in NYC). Air miles, not good, but no alternative if you want to keep in touch!

Our younger son is also a city dweller without a car; they both drive, and hire if necessary, but make maximum use of public transport and walking. 

I get the impression that the private car is possibly reaching the end of its dominance, certainly in this small island, and in particular in the cities. The reaction against pollution, and the dangers and dominance of road traffic are turning people against. I remember growing up in a village (1950s) where I was free to roam, while today's kids aren't allowed out because the roads are too dangerous. We used to play football in the road outside the house, hardly anyone had a car, and you know what, we were happy.

Car-sharing has become very popular in Vancouver, especially among millennials. I still own a car -- a gas-sipping subcompact -- but I often use one of these to get around close to home. I always take my camera along, of course.

bicycles-lined-up-at-a-mobi-bike-share-d

I walk everywhere these days, if the distance does not exceed an hour. No car. And I haven't been in a cab since December 31, 2008. No AC, and yes I remember that day it hit 107 F.  

I'm thinking about going over to Hoboken for the view of Lower Manhattan. Since I can't swim, it might mean a ferry ride. 

So that's what a cow looks like! Thanks, Geoff. :)

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Eco-friendly or Ego-friendly?

Imagine a world where everything you eat and need is produced locally, and that is where you live and stay and that is all you have and can ever have.

You really want that? Then do it.

Just adding a different voice. 

That's pretty extreme. I'm afraid that I like bananas and my morning cup of fair-trade, organic coffee too much to go 100% local.

I think the idea is to reduce, not eliminate. It doesn't have to turn into a "greener than thou" type of thing.

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

Eco-friendly or Ego-friendly?

Imagine a world where everything you eat and need is produced locally, and that is where you live and stay and that is all you have and can ever have.

You really want that? Then do it.

Just adding a different voice. 

Fair point, but people travelled the globe long before the advent of the IC engine, while it is possible to tour extensively on a bike. You can always take a train. Actually train and bike is a wonderful combination.

On the subject of local produce, it beats me why we have to use trucks to move heavy liquid around the place, surely local breweries can supply, while soft drinks could be made in store.  They bake bread, why not make lemonade?  There's plenty of scope for savings without suffering inconvenience or lack of choice.

I recall seeing some credible figures that highlighted the largest component of food's carbon foot print was the last few miles from supermarket to home, more significant than the air miles across oceans. Especially as Spain or Kenya can grow salad, for example, without the glasshouses and heating needed in the UK or the Netherlands.

I guess that raises the question about eating seasonally, and especially produce that can be grown locally; mind you that is changing with climate change. Bring the natural rhythm of the seasons back into one's life. Enjoy Beltane. ;)

I must say, after spending most of the year doing day trips to London, and having just returned from Brussels, my biggest earner this year is a pic of three horses looking over a gate about  a five minute walk from my house -  two book sales, both three figures.

On 8/13/2017 at 00:21, geogphotos said:

Yes I was being a bit tongue in cheek ;). But think that there is a serious point. We feel good about washing up our jam-jars for recycling but then want to fly around the world on holidays! 

True enough. In my case, I can't afford to fly around the world on holidays, so I've become a stay-at-home eco-warrior by default.

That said, I an image that I took a few blocks from my house licensed today. I've had a few of those recently.

13 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I've licensed many that I haven't even left where I live to take, process, edit and get online. So I'm being a good boy when it comes to the environment. Pretty much all that I have that aren't taken at home are taken within either walking or bus distance. The bus will go there anyway (well I did once have it to myself and the driver took me a different route just for me!) whether I use it or not. Although my extra weight will mean it uses more fuel - And if I take my biggest 2 lenses, someone usually has to get out and push, as they're so damn heavy.

So I sometimes take my cows to help push the bus.

Geoff.

Forget the bus. There are other options...

agricultural-worker-riding-a-domesticate

29 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Well, 18.2% (45) of my licenced images were taken in my own garden.  As it's only about 70ft x 30ft (22 x 9m) it would be difficult to imagine anything more local than that.  

Yes but as far as the flowers are concerned you live in the chuffing tropics!

Archived