My experience with Alamy coming from a Microstock background but disappointed with earnings after 2 years

8 minutes ago, arterra said:

Don't understand why this thread hasn't been deleted yet. It sounds like one big advertisement for microstock agencies. 

Cheers,

Philippe

There's a cynical explanation that Alamy would love to see micreostockers place their images here but I don't subscribe to it.

However a thread about restrictions on graffiti- of great interest to many of us- was closed down in a couple of hours and this one is allowed to run so- who knows?

1 hour ago, Bill Brooks said:

Microstock is here to stay. Might as well get used to it.

Isn't Brasilnut making the case that it may not be here to stay -- i.e. there's major trouble brewing in Microstock Land?

Or have I missed something?

It always seems to be the case when somebody comes over to Alamy and says that they want to escape micros. Next minute out comes all the micro advertising and accusations about prejudice etc etc.

I'm neither pro-micro nor anti-micro, all I want is to make money and have the pleasure of discussing how I may achieve this end with you gentlemen/ladies. 

I'm aware that there are rules on this forum and I'm doing my best to comply with them. 

How can someone passionate about what they do have any pride from selling for such low prices?

I can't answer for others as their motivations vary, but most would probably answer that the number 1 reason why they contribute is to make money. 

Now, pride is subjective and for some people it comes from earning a living and providing for the family...if that revenue comes from producing images of tomatoes on white background and fake-smiling models on the phone, so be it.

Creating work that makes one proud is overrated imo, it's more profitable to create work that buyers would find useful and one can earn a living. Again, I'm not supporting or defending but an image that is downloaded 1000 times at 33 cents will net you $333 which is the same as two decent RM licenses at $166.50 each (net). There's different ways to achieve the same result, without getting into specifics. 

there's major trouble brewing in Microstock Land?

Indeed. It's not pretty. Expect many more microstock contributors to be knocking on Alamy's door soon. Don't worry, most of them aren't a threat.

What would be a threat is rolling out the so-called 'download packs' on Alamy. 

5 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

Indeed. It's not pretty. Expect many more microstock contributors to be knocking on Alamy's door soon. Don't worry, most of them aren't a threat.

What would be a threat is rolling out the so-called 'download packs' on Alamy. 

I was a big fan of Mad magazine when I was a kid and still follow the Alfred E. Neuman philosophy -- "What? Me worry?" B)

I see this discussion as a learning experience. Microstock is a big part of the stock photography business. Why not learn more about it regardless, so you can deal with it? Why cut off information that may be important to you down the line?

Today Microstock is changing. How is it changing? 

Knowledge is power.

1 minute ago, Bill Brooks said:

I see this discussion as a learning experience. Microstock is a big part of the stock photography business. Why not learn more about it regardless, so you can deal with it? Why cut off information that may be important to you down the line?

Today Microstock is changing. How is it changing? 

Knowledge is power.

That's right, Bill. Canadian media guru Marshall McLuhan, whom I'm sure you are familiar with, would have agreed with you wholeheartedly. He refused to even own a TV and claimed to hate all technological change, yet he spent his career writing about the new (1960's) media. He was way ahead of his time.

" The only cool PR is provided by one's enemies. They toil incessantly and for free."

- M. McLuhan

25 minutes ago, Brasilnut said:

The only colour I care about is $$$$$

With all due respect, you might have just identified one of the main flaws in the microstock philosophy.

Many -- not all, by any means -- of editorial photographers actually care about the subjects / topics that they cover. 

That's not to say that they don't often take pictures "just for the money." I certainly do, but I don't feel especially proud of those images (I know, I should submit them to micros). ^_^

This said, I don't mean to sound self-righteous. I like and need green as much as anyone else, and I am of course happy when one of those "just for the money" images sells.

13 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Many -- not all, by any means -- of editorial photographers actually care about the subjects / topics that they cover. 

For which reasons? Which is the reason why you take care of topics you shoot?

"That's not to say that they don't often take pictures "just for the money." I certainly do, but I don't feel especially proud of those images (I know, I should submit them to micros). ^_^"

If you think images you're not so proud of should come to micro, i believe you didn't understand micro which is not a recycle-bin repository for bad images. It's actually a different way to make good commercial pictures.

The fact they allowed Editorials to increase profits is another story and that's why Alamy is not considered "micro" in a close meaning.

I care deeply about my editorial images, much more so than my commercial images. Some editorial scenes are extremely touching, such as this one: 

War refugees at the Keleti Railway Station on 5 September 2015 in Budapest, Hungary - Stock Image

There's little joy and humanity in shooting still objects even if there's money to be made with some subjects. I rather shoot editorials any day and hope to feel something and also be rewarded for my efforts. 

That's fairly obviously what you are here for so why not have it out in the open rather than all this pretence?

This isn't the right audience for my book. I write about encouraging Microstock contributors to make a transition to Alamy, not the other way around. 

I'm here to discuss with you gentlemen / ladies how to make money. This thread has valuable information which I've already put into practice.

You can keep mentioning my book if you would like, I don't mind :)  

10 hours ago, Brasilnut said:

This isn't the right audience for my book. I write about encouraging Microstock contributors to make a transition to Alamy, not the other way around. 

I'm here to discuss with you gentlemen / ladies how to make money. This thread has valuable information which I've already put into practice.

You can keep mentioning my book if you would like, I don't mind :)  

Just out of interest then - is any of the "stuff" that you squeeze out of the esteemed collective intellect here intended to be used for any monetary reasons, besides selling licenses for images, either on a blog or another book? Are we on the record? haha

either on a blog or another book? Are we on the record? haha

Yes, I'm going to draft a chapter on the importance of spending less time in photography forums and more time out shooting! :)

That must be why you quote blogs about high sales at micro stock sites?

KODAK asked an interesting question about the comparison in RPI for same images between Alamy and other agencies, which Steve Heap has written extensively about as he keeps records of all his earnings between different agencies. I hope that post was in line with the T&Cs of this forum, otherwise the admin may remove it. 

As another poster mentioned here, "scientia potentia est" or information is power. 

So in direct reply to your comment about being little joy in shooting still objects - I had joy taking these, joy processing them, and joy seeing them licensed for decent money that I'd never see on microstock.

I was referring to studio shots on white background microstock stuff - I should have been more clear.

By the way, your shots are really beautiful - love the light. 

Just now, Brasilnut said:

Yes, I'm going to draft a chapter on the importance of spending less time in photography forums and more time out shooting! :)

KODAK asked an interesting question about the comparison in RPI for same images between Alamy and other agencies, which Steve Heap has written extensively about as he keeps records of all his earnings between different agencies. I hope that post was in line with the T&Cs of this forum, otherwise the admin may remove it. 

As another poster mentioned here, "scientia potentia est" or information is power. 

First part is something that we all struggle with (being stuck at the computer rather than shooting).

Regardless of which segment has the higher RPI at this moment in time, some people take into account longer term implications, the well being of an industry, perhaps a more wholesome view, some call it integrity - not just max $ right now and blinders on. Some doesn't like it when what they try to protect, for the good of everyone, is being taken advantage of for a quick gain by people with a "me me me" and "live for the moment" mindset. Not aimed at you specifically BrasilNut - merely a reflection on some the friction you seem to attract.

7 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I appreciate the compliment.

Like I've said before, I'm not one of those who will say that certain images do or don't fit on a particular agency (because I simply don't know). I just know that I see all sorts of images of mine license from drains, beautiful sunsets, trains, people, broken pipes, etc..

Geoff.

Watch it - BrasilNut knows you're weak for compliments...he's winning you over! hahah 

• Alamy locked this topic

Archived