Some tough competition this month!

Young people riding bikes near Amble with Coquet Island in the background, Northumberland UK

young-couple-cycling-on-the-beach-south-

Not quite so peaceful, a crowded beach on Gran Canaria

crowds-of-people-throng-the-beach-at-pla

and now for something completely different, a bent fork lying on a beach

twisted-metal-fork-on-beach-at-gouves-cr

Three from me, very hard to choose. The first, a full moon over Sandcastle Beach, St. Croix, USVI.

a-full-moon-shines-over-the-caribbean-sea-in-st-croix-us-virgin-islands-FB618T.jpg

Beach chairs and bright umbrella overlooking a tropical storm offshore. St. Croix.

three-beach-chairs-under-a-yellow-umbrella-look-out-on-a-tropical-F6CBP4.jpg

A small 4 year old girl running with abandonment toward the Caribbean Sea. St. Croix.

a-four-year-old-caucasian-girl-plays-on-the-beach-at-st-croix-us-virgin-F64CAF.jpg

Good subject - here are my three

1. Fog on the beach, Santa Cruz Bay, California USA

california-beach-usa-fog-on-the-beach-at

2. Burned out West Pier at sunset, Brighton, Sussex UK

sunset-over-the-ruined-west-pier-brighto

3. "Stuck!" - the Algarve, Portugal

young-woman-standing-up-on-a-beach-with-

Kumar (The Doc one)

My three:

sennen-cove-lifeboat-station-with-launch-ramps-against-a-deserted-FJ1KY1.jpg

Sennen Cove Lifeboat station with launch ramps against a deserted late winter beach and stormy skies

wave-washed-mudstone-rock-eroded-into-a-dimpled-egg-shape-on-a-dorset-HDE35A.jpg

Wave washed mudstone rock eroded into a dimpled egg shape on a Dorset beach

mousehole-cornwall-uk-harbour-and-beach-with-fishing-boats-pulled-FWAKW8.jpg

Mousehole, Cornwall, UK harbour and beach with fishing boats pulled up on to the strand

On 8/8/2017 at 04:58, Inchiquin said:

No point in anyone else submitting after seeing that one, Gen :(:(

Alan

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it! Amazing shot Genevieve! But I love the beach so I'll probably share 3 shots  anyway, though I have nothing that comes close, just for the fun of it. 

There are so many things that say "beach" to me. In fact, today I put together three photos for an upcoming show, one of a Ferris Wheel, one of a hummingbird, and one of reeds in a marsh near a lighthouse, that all say "beach" to me because they were taken on trips to the New Jersey or Connecticut shore. But I know this is so much more literal. My portfolio is filled with boats and lighthouses, some of which do show the actual beach, but I decided to share these three, which are actually of the beach, that sandy space where we relax before heading into the sea. I love the beach - a perfect summer subject - great choice! 

It's rainy and  dreary here in NY today, so nice to view lovely weather images and think about an upcoming vacation to the beach (the same one shown in the first photo here):

father-and-child-fishing-from-a-pier-doc

A father and child fishing off the pier at the beach in Connecticut where I've spent at least a tiny part of the summer since I was 10. (Miss those childhood days when it was all summer). 

red-and-white-lifeguard-chair-at-misquam

A lifeguard chair at Misquamicut State Beach in Rhode Island. A favorite spot when we want to go to the ocean from Connecticut. Long Island blocks the entire Connecticut shore, so we only have the quieter Long Island Sound there. I also have a lifeguard chair from a beach in the Hamptons taken in silhouette at sunset that I considered for this challenge, especially since I am a New Yorker, but I opted for this one that sold last month. 

grandfather-and-granddaughter-holding-ha

A grandfather and granddaughter at the same Rhode Island beach. The water there is incredibly clear. The waves were good for my daughter to boogie board that day, but not great for body-surfing. I took these two photos right after I joined Alamy in the summer of 2008, when I had just discovered stock photography, and I was clearly thinking about copy space (I guess I didn't realize that I needed to check my horizons, but I like the authenticity of the moment).  

19 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

Coverack:

solitary-woman-sitting-on-the-beach-coverack-cornwall-DG19G0.jpg

West Wittering:

evening-sun-shining-on-breakwater-west-wittering-west-sussex-uk-B27734.jpg

West Wittering:

sunset-at-east-head-with-two-women-on-the-beach-west-wittering-west-JX66TK.jpg

Alan

Love the middle one Alan, very powerful. 

I have a similar pic of West Wittering. Check B2NPAM.

Gen

5 hours ago, Marianne said:

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it! Amazing shot Genevieve! But I love the beach so I'll probably share 3 shots  anyway, though I have nothing that comes close, just for the fun of it. 

You are much too kind. Same for me, I enter for the fun of it. 

Gen

4 hours ago, gvallee said:

Love the middle one Alan, very powerful. 

I have a similar pic of West Wittering. Check B2NPAM.

Ha - that's a kind of amalgam of both my shots!

We used to holiday at West Wittering in the 1950s. When I returned 50 years later I was amazed to find it had changed very little. You can't say that about many places in Britain.

Alan

On 19 August 2017 at 18:58, Inchiquin said:

We used to holiday at West Wittering in the 1950s. When I returned 50 years later I was amazed to find it had changed very little. You can't say that about many places in Britain.

Alan

Last time I went, the carpark was gridlocked in the evening. It took almost an hour to clear, so we gave up, locked the car and went back to the beach to watch Colombians dancing salsa on the beach, which was nice. Never went again.

Gen

6 hours ago, imageplotter said:

Just seen the latest entries. I NEED A HOLIDAY!!!! :D

Me too! Glad our short holiday at the beach for Labor Day is coming soon B)  however, I am not ready for the summer to end! 

Archived