Who as a personal use customer would actually need 30 pictures for legitimate personal use over a period of 1 year ? PU has been heavily questioned by forum members regarding the true use of the downloads and have asked alamy to rethink and their response is to make things worse by cutting the price for these dodgy downloads by selling in bulk. On top of that books £24 , our cut £12!! Publishers will be all over these deals I am sure. These will be even lower prices that the bulk deals they were getting before

sighhhhhhhhh

Kevin

• Upvote 6

NOT. HAPPY. :angry::angry::angry:

The PU abuse is already rife (sorry, I know some of you disagree, but I seriously doubt that the majority of these licenses are truly PU). The only reason I haven't opted out of PU is owing to the suspicion that these licenses will just switch to presentation use.

I opted out 'UK newspaper scheme' and 'Novel use', I would have thought that made my stance fairly clear?  The slope is becoming increasingly slippery.

The failure to look seriously into infringements is a further cause for concern and this will not help in that arena.

Lack of communication regarding this additional purchase option for clients is not welcome. Not something to do with the recent 'Image options' under 'Additional revenue options', is it?

• Upvote 6

Exactly why I have not uploaded anything to Alamy for 3 years and there are still 400 pics awaiting my attention before going on sale. I have ignored all Alamy pleading emails and not been prepared to jump through all their recent hoops for peanuts. In fact once live I have never been back to a file to alter anything - not worth my time. I do spend the money transfer they send each month but accepted long ago that the market for professionally taken stills is dying. 

I have never submitted to micro stock but looks as though i might be starting now.

Regen

• Upvote 8

1 hour ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Interestingly, the option does not appear where the editorial use only box is ticked (ie, most of my portfolio). Wonder if this is linked to last weeks email on removing restrictions where they were not needed? All it prompted me to do was add them on some images which I had not yet dealt with. Another rethink on editorial use only needed?

That's exactly what I was thinking, too, when I saw that email re. making more images available royalty free last week. You can't restrict personal use sale on royalty free images, so it would mean they are automatically available for download packs. I find this really annoying. I don't slave over LR for hours to have my images sold as microstock. I'm less concerned over some of the 10-image download packs, although it is of course the same downward spiral. Grmpf. Starting up my PC costs me more in electricity than some of those images are going to sell for.

• Upvote 4

What is the point of continuing to upload images? Contributors are just filling Alamy's pension pot whilst bankrupting themselves.

• Upvote 5

Wonder what Jeff Keith and Doc will have to say ???????

Jon

• Upvote 1

Now the urging for us to choose RF makes sense, if they can't be restricted from PU.  This plan was decided in the boardroom months ago, and only rolled out now.

Betty

• Upvote 4

14 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

Are their opinions more valid?

Geoff.

No Geoff but they have large portfolios so they may have a different perspective on the matter.

Jon

• Upvote 1

How will this affect rank ??? will it count as one download/sale at point of purchase or 100 when will rank be applied as it could skew results massively 

Jon

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, arterra said:

You guys get £ 11.99 (about 13.40 €) for PU in the UK?

I see 9.99 € for PU on my sales' pages in little Belgium. Guess what I'll be left with thanks to that 50% reduction download pack. 

Will all 30 downloads be MY pictures????? Nope! There's only one winner here, and it ain't me.

Will there be hundreds of downloads of my pictures from now on????? At least, I hope so. If not, you're driving us in the arms of ............

Cheers,

Philippe (F U R I O U S)

Don't be too furious about differences in receipts between (current) members of the EU, Philippe: I (UK resident) have never received £11.99.  The fees I have received have been what I suppose to be the current exchange rates used by alamy to convert £9.99 TO US$

4 minutes ago, arterra said:

Yeah well, whatever. Anyway, my biggest concern is: will lowering prices by 50% be compensated by a WHOLE LOT MORE sales per contributor. If Alamy can't guarantee that, if we only get microstock prices, but no volume .......game over.

Cheers,

Philippe (extremely concerned)

I appreciate that - and agree with you wholeheartedly: the slope is ever steeper and more slippery.  Don't see how Alamy will ever pull back from this and am seeing the beginning of the end for me. :angry::(:unsure:  I feel as if I'm continually stabbing myself in the back (front, sides, ...) by relying on Alamy to generate sales at reasonable rates - and licensing conditions.

Contrary to the original suggestion, the revised affiliate scheme info will also be eating into our share of the pie.  Next stop: a commission cut to 40%?

• Upvote 3

The silence from Alamy is deafening.... no.  Hold on, I can hear something....yes, the noise from Alamy as they roll around on the floor holding their sides in hysterical laughter.

Do they care about us contributors?  I honestly do not think so.  I'd like them to prove me wrong.

Are they happy to coin it in at our expense?  Yup.

I actually believe that if Alamy announced that in future the photographer gets no money just a byline, there are still enough 'photographers' out there who will continue to contribute.

I'm now working through all my images and adding restrictions.  Will my sales suffer? Of course they will.  My sales from other libraries are still reasonably strong so I have faith in those who operate those libraries.

I lost faith in Alamy some time ago.

• Upvote 7

As a result of this I have just submitted an application to join another library which, I believe, has good relations with it's contributors. 

Pearl

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Oh for GOODNESS SAKE!!!!!!!

This IS microstock. I'm unsure about the pricing without looking more into it but the model is the same, basically a subscription. Soon they'll be offering 100 images for even less, then 1000.

As for PU - Alamy, please, would you listen to us? We have been complaining about the joke of PU sales and particularly the refunds for months, and now you offer a pack that gives them away even cheaper, with a 30 day money back guarantee! You may as well say, "Get your free images here"!

I'm sorry, I don't mean to be rude, but what is going on? It's one thing to do what you have to do with pricing if that is what's needed to stay competitive, and we have to trust you as our agency to do what's best. A bit more communication though and explanations would make such a lot of difference.

Geoff.

Excellent post!

So sorry to see what has happend to Alamy at the end - it's official - it's microstock now... :(

Btw, anyone remember Alamy's blog post last year encouraging microstockers to join? Now things got clear and obvious... No more illusions <_<

After PU and prints affair I stopped uploading to Alamy. Today you, Alamy, give me even more convicing reason to not upload new stuff. Can't believe it! After all that years full of trust, after all my blog and forums posts encouraging my friends to come here and join Alamy, so much time spent on supporting you in any way... :unsure:

Dear Alamy, from all my heart I hope you will read all our words carefuly and think again on what's your way. Just please, remember, there are no sales and no money without images nor contributors.

For me, that's enough!

Edited by Arletta
  • Upvote 10

16 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Typical scenario: a company with many employees

decides to buy 30-pack from which employees

can choose one or more images of a subject

related to company for framing-hanging on

employee desks-walls...?

Absolutely NOT personal use...

edit: Price calculator gives € 385.00 for use as described for a single image (Internal poster/decor).

Edited by Reciprocity Images
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, losdemas said:

I appreciate that - and agree with you wholeheartedly: the slope is ever steeper and more slippery.  Don't see how Alamy will ever pull back from this and am seeing the beginning of the end for me. :angry::(:unsure:  I feel as if I'm continually stabbing myself in the back (front, sides, ...) by relying on Alamy to generate sales at reasonable rates - and licensing conditions.

Contrary to the original suggestion, the revised affiliate scheme info will also be eating into our share of the pie.  Next stop: a commission cut to 40%?

Please don't give them a new idea...

• Upvote 1

Desperation? Or... an attempt by Alamy to drive the competition out of business, so that prices can then be put back up afterwards? (I wish!).

I suspect Alamy might be doing quite well overall (in which case it isn't desperation). But with so many more contributors and 100,0000 image uploaded per day, it's becoming harder and harder for individual contributors to maintain, let alone grow their income.

Also, since the search engine changes, I've noticed quite an improvement in the "quality" of the zooms I'm getting. By that I mean the search term is a good match for my image and I have a higher proportion of the recorded zooms for each search.

Mark

6 hours ago, Joseph Clemson said:

Interestingly, the option does not appear where the editorial use only box is ticked (ie, most of my portfolio). Wonder if this is linked to last weeks email on removing restrictions where they were not needed? All it prompted me to do was add them on some images which I had not yet dealt with. Another rethink on editorial use only needed?

Me too, it made me add some restrictions that I had meant to do for months! All my images are no PU with many editorial only. And no uploadfs for nearly a year, just cant be bothered, it is just not worth the effort. I sell the occasional illustrated article and make several times what I make from Alamy with much less effort.

With this new model I don't see me going back to generic stock or news anytime soon.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Arletta said:

Excellent post!

So sorry to see what has happend to Alamy at the end - it's official - it's microstock now... :(

Btw, anyone remember Alamy's blog post last year encouraging microstockers to join? Now things got clear and obvious... No more illusions <_<

After PU and prints affair I stopped uploading to Alamy. Today you, Alamy, give me even more convicing reason to not upload new stuff. Can't believe it! After all that years full of trust, after all my blog and forums posts encouraging my friends to come here and join Alamy, so much time spent on supporting you in any way... :unsure:

Dear Alamy, from all my heart I hope you will read all our words carefuly and think again on what's your way. Just please, remember, there are no sales and no money without images nor contributors.

For me, that's enough!

I am seriously thinking of quitting to. Might even sell my kit and leave photography altogether. Yes Alamy that is what you have driven me to. Photography was just a hobby till I found you (Alamy) nine years ago and found new impetus for my pastime. I have spent large sums of money in pursuit of better images and better processing software so I could upload the types and quality of image you desired in all areas of content. Yes the money spent (squandered) has never been, nor will ever be, recovered but the journey was enjoyable to the extent it gave me a lift and purpose in life. This has all gone now and I have lost interest in photography and feel we (the contributors) have been let down. The early years were the best with Alamy when we had regular communications from "The Management" and were privy to upcoming changes but this has all gone by the board (excuse the pun) now.

Allan

• Upvote 14

1 minute ago, Allan Bell said:

I am seriously thinking of quitting to. Might even sell my kit and leave photography altogether. Yes Alamy that is what you have driven me to. Photography was just a hobby till I found you (Alamy) nine years ago and found new impetus for my pastime. I have spent large sums of money in pursuit of better images and better processing software so I could upload the types and quality of image you desired in all areas of content. Yes the money spent (squandered) has never been, nor will ever be, recovered but the journey was enjoyable to the extent it gave me a lift and purpose in life. This has all gone now and I have lost interest in photography and feel we (the contributors) have been let down. The early years were the best with Alamy when we had regular communications from "The Management" and were privy to upcoming changes but this has all gone by the board (excuse the pun) now.

Allan

Same here, I have been on the cusp of giving up entirely with Alamy (and its like) for several years, hence the long breaks between upload phases. But I have been totally uninterested in stock photography for the last year, and more. Most of the time when I am travelling in UK, France, Spain or wherever I only carry a fixed lens camera (Fuji X100T). My main outfit sits in the back of the wardrobe of my motorhome for weeks at a time.

I gave up on a writing/publishing site a few years ago that went through a similar dumbing down. It was huge relief when I finally walked away. I felt a I gained a huge amount of self-respect.

I may just go back to doing photography for me, and my writing, my storytelling.

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, GS-Images said:

Are their opinions more valid?

Geoff.

Yes, because on a single photographer basis they are more successful at stock photography than any of us.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Chasing market share is a fools errand.

And as prices fall, unless sales increase more than proportionately, then the commission rate will have to fall to maintain Alamy's income stream at the same level.

I will certainly pull all my images if that happens.

Edited by Martin P Wilson
typo
  • Upvote 3

The blue download packs button isn't appearing on my images yet (Canada).

I wonder if download packs are a limited-time offer or a permanent fixture.

On 8/1/2017 at 18:04, JeffGreenberg said:

Allan Bell

• Forum regular
  •  
  • Allan Bell
  • Might even sell my kit and leave photography altogether
  • SLAP-SLAP!  NOT ON MY WATCH!!
    NOW GO OUT & SHOOT WITH PASSION!
  •  

Martin P Wilson

• Forum regular
  •  
  • Martin P Wilson
  • Same here
  • YOUR NOT GOING BLOODY ANYWHERE.
    NOT UNTIL ANOTHER WOLF BLITZER LOOK-ALIKE COMES 'ROUND...

Well, that's me told! :)

I should probably go back to my blogs as I am no longer motivated to do stock photography

Edited by Alamy
Promoting or linking to your own forum or any third party photography forums is prohibited
  • Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Bill Brooks said:

Yes, because on a single photographer basis they are more successful at stock photography than any of us.

Bill, is the now infamous "blue button" appearing on your images? It's not on mine (no PU restrictions).