How was your July?

15 hours ago, MariaJ said:

Only two sales. The best one was actually one that sold last month and then was refunded and repurchased this month, on the same date and for the same price (go figure).  So really, only one new sale added this month, a product of my skyrocketing surge in zooms last month. Alas my zooms took a nosedive this month, I guess it all evens out in the end.

Were the usages the same? I had a refund and rebuy for the same price (oher than currency fluctuation) but the rebuy rights were very much more extensive.

57 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

That's pretty much my modus operandi as well. ^_^

Modus operandi? That's that fancy talk those Jesuits were trying to teach me back in another century! :(

I also agree with Bryan: stock shooting makes for a good retirement activity. Live News does not. I've been averaging 2 sales a week in 2017. July was a continuation of that. 

7 hours ago, Cryptoprocta said:

Were the usages the same? I had a refund and rebuy for the same price (oher than currency fluctuation) but the rebuy rights were very much more extensive.

Everything was the same re the terms of use, the only change was the start date.

4 minutes ago, kay said:

Andy - I'm sure you know this but just in case - do make sure all the live news usages (ie use within 48 hours) are reported correctly - if it's the green dress ones just the uses I've seen should pay a lot more than that alone - maybe these will come in later?

Kay

It is the green dress ones Kay, but the pics were also syndicated by a local agency here in Ireland and I arranged the Hello! pics myself.

On 02/08/2017 at 06:59, Bryan said:

Thanks John.  When I started in this game I was fairly conservative over my choice of subject matter, but experience has taught me that some of the most unlikely images sell, and opened my eyes to new possibilities.  The market is much tougher now however, so many good people involved and so many photos! My current feeling is that Live News is the way to make money, but I am genuinely retired and getting up at the crack of dawn in the hope of capturing a sunrise, or attending local events in order to get some newsworthy shots is not for me.  Rather I carry the camera wherever I go, and if an opportunity arises, so be it. Many of my shots have been taken in mainland Europe, where we holiday each year. They don't sell very well, certainly not as well as my collection of UK based shots, or even my relatively small port of subjects from north America. I guess because Alamy does not have an active sales office in Europe, but 10,000 images is a drop in the ocean, and my results might not be representative.

Re. office in Europe - I thought they had a sales office in Germany? Maybe I'm wrong.

12 minutes ago, imageplotter said:

Re. office in Europe - I thought they had a sales office in Germany? Maybe I'm wrong.

Just looked it up, yes you are correct. I was not aware of that. They also have a "local distributor" in France.  

Most of my European shots are taken in France, although I have a few from Germany too. I do make the occasional sale of a French pic, but my feeling is that, considering the numbers involved, it's my worst performing region.  (1105 images France, 645 USA, fairly regular USA sales - one popped in today, very intermittent sales from France.)

There are probably other factors at work here. The degree of competition etc.,  but the local agent thing is maybe important.

Again my numbers are small, possibly statistically insignificant.

Agree. And it may well be a language thing, too. Of course in theory, keywords would only need to be input in one language with the translation tool doing the rest, but in practice, search terms, search behaviour and word combinations in each language are pretty unique and hence the translation tool bound to be somewhat inadequate.

Just a guess, but I did notice that on German images where I have added a few of what I would consider the strongest German language keywords (rather than direct translations of the supertags) in addition to English language ones, this does seem to have a positive impact on zooms/sales. But again my pool of images shot there isn't large enough overall to quantify this, although I'm likely to shoot more over there in the next couple of years. It's certainly a big market, also for live news it seems, judging by the growing number of news contributors from Germany. Not sure regarding France, I haven't noticed as many contributors on live news, are there many on the stock side?

9 sales, $484 gross. Three of those sales were images I went out and shot and uploaded after noticing on AoA that a buyer had been searching fruitlessly for that topic. Not at all the type of thing I would normally photograph, but there you go.

2017 appears to be improving, considering the last five years.  Licenses are way up for me, but fees are still lower than

I would like to see.  I've gone back to doing corportate photography and make more in a morning than from my licenses

from Alamy in a month.  I do look forward to working on more file images for Alamy, when I can afford the time.  I will add

that during the last six months I have seen some encouraging licenses from Live News.

11 hours ago, Bryan said:

Just looked it up, yes you are correct. I was not aware of that. They also have a "local distributor" in France.  

Most of my European shots are taken in France, although I have a few from Germany too. I do make the occasional sale of a French pic, but my feeling is that, considering the numbers involved, it's my worst performing region.  (1105 images France, 645 USA, fairly regular USA sales - one popped in today, very intermittent sales from France.)

There are probably other factors at work here. The degree of competition etc.,  but the local agent thing is maybe important.

Again my numbers are small, possibly statistically insignificant.

France is my best performing non-UK market. It might even pip the UK on RPI. Unfortunately we always go to Germany (usually via France fortunately) which is not so good, but we tend to go to the same place so the variety is less. Both are usually distro these days (Hemis/Mauritius) despite the German website.

A couple of French places keep on giving.

9 hours ago, LSP said:

9 sales, $484 gross. Three of those sales were images I went out and shot and uploaded after noticing on AoA that a buyer had been searching fruitlessly for that topic. Not at all the type of thing I would normally photograph, but there you go.

AoA - What is this ? I can't find it.

A slow month by number of sales but just a little below average for revenue.  Revenue, year to date, is a little below last year at this time.

2 sales for $208 / 104  (gross / net).  The two were for $89 / 44.50 and $119 / 59.50.  

Views continued to be high by historical standards, but zooms have continued to be low.  5761 views, 19 zooms, 0.33 CTR

Robert Shantz

On 8/1/2017 at 09:41, RedSnapper said:

101 for the month

only one working day without a sale; more than balanced by sales on 6 weekend days...

km

Excellent total.

Is there a pattern to the weekend sales? I've had a few but most are personal use - though not all.

Oh, I suppose that's possible. I can't see any way of looking at back 'cleared' dates.

My current pattern is very unusual, usually there's a mix of uncleared, cleared and paid, but ATM, I have one cleared/not paid from 21 June, everything before that is cleared and paid and everything sold after that is showing as uncleared.

Archived