Jump to content

Recommended Posts

I've just downloaded the ShutterSnitch app for uploading the odd news photo but am really struggling to work out how to add headlines and captions and tags.  I'm using an iphone 5 and all I can see is an option to add a "Description".  Am I missing something really obvious? Could anyone help with this please?  Thanks

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, kay said:

I've just downloaded the ShutterSnitch app for uploading the odd news photo but am really struggling to work out how to add headlines and captions and tags.  I'm using an iphone 5 and all I can see is an option to add a "Description".  Am I missing something really obvious? Could anyone help with this please?  Thanks

 

With IPTC compatible software, Caption and Description usually refer to the same field. PhotoShop used to called it Caption but changed the name to Description several versions ago.  I'd suggest doing a test by sending it to your computer, or your website, before uploading it to Alamy.

 

All you need for Live News is a caption/description and a headline. You can add keywords later.

Edited by fotoDogue
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, fotoDogue said:

 

With IPTC compatible software, Caption and Description usually refer to the same field. PhotoShop used to called it Caption but changed the name to Description several versions ago.  I'd suggest doing a test by sending it to your computer, or your website, before uploading it to Alamy.

 

All you need for Live News is a caption/description and a headline. You can add keywords later.

Thanks, that's helpful - I hadn't even thought of emailing it to myself, but it's definitely a start :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

you can add captions, headlines and tags in Shuttersnitch 

 

i use it every day.....its my default method of filing news pix

 

 

km

 

 

 

Yes, I'd read that you did Keith - that's actually why I bought it :)  I'm disappointed so far though that it doesn't seem to be very intuitive at all.  I'm sure I must be missing something obvious

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

This might help, hidden features and how to setup xmp data file

https://www.shuttersnitch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1919&p=8228&hilit=hidden+features#p8228

 

I've just looked at that and it looks very involved, which disappoints me as I need a solution to the headline/caption problem whilst out on jobs.  Back to the drawing board, it would seem.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's easy to use Shuttersnitch.....as I say..i use it every day, takes only a minute to add the headline/caption/keywords....and i'm good to go

 

You don't need to use any of the 'hidden' features mentioned in that link......I never have

 

 

Edited by RedSnapper
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm currently looking at ipad software for editing and sending camera jpegs for Live News and have looked at Shuttersnitch but also could not see any obvious method of adding metadata. Currently reading up on Filterstorm which seems easier and includes an FTP client.

 

Any feedback on either program would be appreciated.

 

Thanks.

Joe

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

https://www.shuttersnitch.com/videos?v=Actions_DropboxExport

How to setup an action in Shuttersnitch which is what you need for captions etc

 

But how do you ensure your caption appears in the actual caption field?  How do you ensure your headline appears in the headline field?  I'll be using Shuttersnitch with LR.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

 

But how do you ensure your caption appears in the actual caption field?  How do you ensure your headline appears in the headline field?  I'll be using Shuttersnitch with LR.

I'm away just now and haven't time to work out Shuttersnitch - but seem to have a workaround for now.  I'm using an iphone and I think a combination of 2 free apps should work fine.  The newest Lightroom mobile is very clear and now allows you to add 'Title' and 'Caption' and to then save the pics to 'Camera Roll".  I can then use the FTPManager app to pick up photos from Camera Roll and send it straight to Alamy (I set up a connection on there using the info given on Alamy's 'How do I upload to the Alamy Live News Feed' page).  Hope this helps 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, kay said:

I'm away just now and haven't time to work out Shuttersnitch - but seem to have a workaround for now.  I'm using an iphone and I think a combination of 2 free apps should work fine.  The newest Lightroom mobile is very clear and now allows you to add 'Title' and 'Caption' and to then save the pics to 'Camera Roll".  I can then use the FTPManager app to pick up photos from Camera Roll and send it straight to Alamy (I set up a connection on there using the info given on Alamy's 'How do I upload to the Alamy Live News Feed' page).  Hope this helps 

 

I use Adobe CC which means I have the latest LR.  I've looked for hours for caption and title fields to no avail.  I'm clearly missing something. :(

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

 

I use Adobe CC which means I have the latest LR.  I've looked for hours for caption and title fields to no avail.  I'm clearly missing something. :(

I dont have that - just the free app - but if it works in the same way, when I'm showing a photo on my phone, up at the top where it usually says 'edit' - if I click on there there's an 'info' option.  It comes up there.  I didn't have that option until I updated my phone yesterday

 

Edited by kay
Link to comment
Share on other sites

"But how do you ensure your caption appears in the actual caption field?  How do you ensure your headline appears in the headline field?"

 

In Shuttersnitch > Edit Task> Update Metadata> headline = headline; description = caption ; keywords = tags

  • Upvote 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LawrensonPhoto said:

 

With the above app (PRESS IPTC) you don't need another app for ftp, it's built in.

This app has a watch folder, as soon as you press the shutter on your camera its sends it to Alamy! with as much IPTC data as you need, and did I mention its FREE

Thanks for that - I'll take a look!

:)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yay!  Got it! Finally 

Options, Actions. Set up new task, and then complete as Keith says above

now I've seen it I don't know why it wasn't immediately obvious ?

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, kay said:

Yay!  Got it! Finally 

Options, Actions. Set up new task, and then complete as Keith says above

now I've seen it I don't know why it wasn't immediately obvious ?

 

So worth purchasing? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

if you're not in a rush I'll report back once I've actually submitted something using it, and I'll also try the free Lightroom way :)

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, kay said:

if you're not in a rush I'll report back once I've actually submitted something using it, and I'll also try the free Lightroom way :)

 

 

Brill, thank you.  I'm always in a rush to get newsy stuff online quickly but I'm sure I can wait a little longer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/6/2017 at 09:01, LawrensonPhoto said:

 

This app has a watch folder, as soon as you press the shutter on your camera its sends it to Alamy!

 

Would you want to send everything you shoot on a story to Alamy though?  Better to configure whatever app/camera combination you use to only send those images that you have checked and selected (and in my case, have also done some quick editing work on them incamera already)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.