Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Autumn Sky

Wiki Loves Earth Canada Photo Contest

Recommended Posts

Don't know if this has been mentioned, or if "Let's Talk about Pics" is right place for the post, but although most of Alamy Forum crowd seems to be non-Canadian thought some might still find it interesting.

 

Wiki Loves Earth is an international photo contest of natural protected areas. 2017 is the first edition in Canada. It coincides with the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation during which Parks Canada offer free admission to all national parks.

It runs till end of June '17. More details here: https://ca.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wiki_Loves_Earth/Home

Prizes are not bad either, i.e. 2nd place gets 20K gift card to spend on Photographic Equipment. (I could definitely use that one!)
 

If you decide to enter contest, good luck!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep in mind that if you don't win a prize, you will have essentially given your images away for free by the sounds of it.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yes;   but in my view not everything in life is about money or absolutely needing to get something in return for everything

It is valid point though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

Keep in mind that if you don't win a prize, you will have essentially given your images away for free by the sounds of it.

 

1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

yes;   but in my view not everything in life is about money or absolutely needing to get something in return for everything

It is valid point though

 

For sure, it's an individual decision.

 

However, a lot of people don't enter photo contests with their eyes open (i.e. they don't read the terms).

 

P.S. The 2nd prize certainly sounds good. However, I'm not so sure about the 1st prize. As much as I love Montreal, 27 nights in a "shared room" to attend a Wikimania conference doesn't sound all that tempting. Prizes #2 and #3 ($100) aren't all that wonderful either. But chacun à son goût.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Mitchell said:

However, I'm not so sure about the 1st prize. As much as I love Montreal, 27 nights in a "shared room" to attend a Wikimania conference doesn't sound all that tempting. Prizes #2 and #3 ($100) aren't all that wonderful either. But chacun à son goût.

 

Bang on, this is exactly what I thought :)

 

Re contests in general;  I agree with you in principle. But there is 1 other thing  that goes along the line of "chacun a son gout".  To me there is degree of pride if my photo is taken and published.  I.e. you will remember recently reported collapse of Hillary Step on Mount Everest?  I have a pic of Everest from Scoundrel Ridge on top of Gokyo Valley. It is not available on Alamy because I didn't feel it was technically good enough;  so it got sold through Microstock.   I made a few bucks, but more important to me was  that  it got licensed by dozen publications around the world, from Far East to Europe to Americas, including Scientific American.  Similar is this wiki thing, specially as we celebrate 150 yrs; I'd feel really good if my image of say Jasper or Banff got picked, if nothing else then because I'd feel I contributed something for anniversary of this great country.

 

Anyways, I only wanted to share the info :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

 

Bang on, this is exactly what I thought :)

 

Re contests in general;  I agree with you in principle. But there is 1 other thing  that goes along the line of "chacun a son gout".  To me there is degree of pride if my photo is taken and published.  I.e. you will remember recently reported collapse of Hillary Step on Mount Everest?  I have a pic of Everest from Scoundrel Ridge on top of Gokyo Valley. It is not available on Alamy because I didn't feel it was technically good enough;  so it got sold through Microstock.   I made a few bucks, but more important to me was  that  it got licensed by dozen publications around the world, from Far East to Europe to Americas, including Scientific American.  Similar is this wiki thing, specially as we celebrate 150 yrs; I'd feel really good if my image of say Jasper or Banff got picked, if nothing else then because I'd feel I contributed something for anniversary of this great country.

 

Anyways, I only wanted to share the info :)

 

 

Thanks. Glad you shared this even though I probably won't submit anything.

 

Bonne chance!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Autumn Sky said:

 

Bang on, this is exactly what I thought :)

 

Re contests in general;  I agree with you in principle. But there is 1 other thing  that goes along the line of "chacun a son gout".  To me there is degree of pride if my photo is taken and published.  I.e. you will remember recently reported collapse of Hillary Step on Mount Everest?  I have a pic of Everest from Scoundrel Ridge on top of Gokyo Valley. It is not available on Alamy because I didn't feel it was technically good enough;  so it got sold through Microstock.   I made a few bucks, but more important to me was  that  it got licensed by dozen publications around the world, from Far East to Europe to Americas, including Scientific American.  Similar is this wiki thing, specially as we celebrate 150 yrs; I'd feel really good if my image of say Jasper or Banff got picked, if nothing else then because I'd feel I contributed something for anniversary of this great country.

 

Anyways, I only wanted to share the info :)

 

 

Pride doesn't pay my mortgage.  It is nice to see your images in print, but it's even better when you get paid.  You have pride, they have money.  Money they should have been paying you.  I got over the thrill of seeing my images in print quite quickly.  I get a bigger thrill from my Alamy payment every month.

 

I don't do contests.  How frustrated would you be if you entered, and then your image is everywhere and you don't get a nickle? 

 

Jill

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

 

Pride doesn't pay my mortgage.  It is nice to see your images in print, but it's even better when you get paid.  You have pride, they have money.  Money they should have been paying you.  I got over the thrill of seeing my images in print quite quickly.  I get a bigger thrill from my Alamy payment every month.

 

I don't do contests.  How frustrated would you be if you entered, and then your image is everywhere and you don't get a nickle? 

 

Jill

 

I don't do contests either, but I have to say that I like the premise of this one. For instance, here's a quote from the contest's international page:

 

"The focus is not only on sites of national importance, but also on those protected at the regional level, and on the widest variety of natural sites possible: forests, parks, gardens, rocks, caves, or whatever part of nature is protected in your country. This means that most users will be able to find several natural heritage sites close to them."

 

Have to hand it to Wikipedia, it's a smart way of getting images to illustrate their more obscure articles. Too bad they aren't offering a bit more incentive -- e.g. ten $2000 prizes instead of one $20,000 prize.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

 

Pride doesn't pay my mortgage.  It is nice to see your images in print, but it's even better when you get paid.  You have pride, they have money.  Money they should have been paying you.  I got over the thrill of seeing my images in print quite quickly.  I get a bigger thrill from my Alamy payment every month.

 

I don't do contests.  How frustrated would you be if you entered, and then your image is everywhere and you don't get a nickle? 

 

Jill

I beg to differ.   Big problem with world is that everyone is so materialistic.  "What's in there for me?"  Satisfaction of sharing and doing something for global good will always be more important to me than few more bucks in my pocket.  You can't take it to grave with you anyways.  Besides, things tend to get even at the end, and there is validity in "Pay it forward" concept.  But, as John Mitchell wisely said,  "Chacun a son gout".    Once again, I only wanted to share the info.

 

(and yes, one 10 x 2000 prizes would be way better than 1 big 20K prize)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Autumn Sky said:

I beg to differ.   Big problem with world is that everyone is so materialistic.  "What's in there for me?"  Satisfaction of sharing and doing something for global good will always be more important to me than few more bucks in my pocket.  You can't take it to grave with you anyways.  Besides, things tend to get even at the end, and there is validity in "Pay it forward" concept.  But, as John Mitchell wisely said,  "Chacun a son gout".    Once again, I only wanted to share the info.

 

(and yes, one 10 x 2000 prizes would be way better than 1 big 20K prize)

 

There seem to be over 900 Canada uploads already.

All of them are downloadable at full size, so hopefully they really will do some global good.

Edited by John Mitchell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Autumn Sky said:

Satisfaction of sharing and doing something for global good will always be more important to me than few more bucks in my pocket.

 

 

There's a big difference between sharing and giving. If you 'give' to a large organisation that can then use your 'gift' for its own purposes, to whatever end it likes, then you are not sharing but being exploited.

 

IMO.

 

Alan

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wikipedia's usually the good guy, and they probably are here, but they wouldn't respect the British photographer's copyright in the monkey photo brouhaha, and they don't like the narrower European version of fair dealing either. So I won't be giving them anything. Not that I have anything from Canada.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

 

P.S. The 2nd prize certainly sounds good. However, I'm not so sure about the 1st prize. As much as I love Montreal, 27 nights in a "shared room" to attend a Wikimania conference doesn't sound all that tempting. Prizes #2 and #3 ($100) aren't all that wonderful either. But chacun à son goû

 

27 nights? :huh: Wikimania is only 3 (or 5 including pre-conference) days long...

 

1 hour ago, spacecadet said:

they wouldn't respect the British photographer's copyright in the monkey photo brouhaha

 

That's because he doesn't have any copyright in that photo. One's owed zero sympathy when the story of how the photo came about changes from when originally selling the story, to later it's gone viral but being point out if that's true then it's clearly public domain with no creative input on your part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, KTC said:

 



 

 

That's because he doesn't have any copyright in that photo. One's owed zero sympathy when the story of how the photo came about changes from when originally selling the story, to later it's gone viral but being point out if that's true then it's clearly public domain with no creative input on your part.

If you're in the UK, do have a look at the CDPA. It's arguable that the photograph was his intellectual creation. That's a concept from European law, but it's compatible with our concept of originality. So he owns the copyright in the UK and EU, but probably not in the US. US copyright law is somewhat backward in some respects.
"Public domain" is an American term with no relevance to UK copyright law. The correct term would be "out of copyright", but that can't apply to a recent photograph, of course.

We all have our own  views on this and IANAL, but I think he could assert his rights in the UK and Europe

 

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And Wikipedia, or more correctly here Wikimedia Commons, is operated by a US organisation, under US law.

I would also be more persuaded over any arguments under Indonesia law, where the photo was taken.

And again, like I said before, as far as I remember, his story of exactly what he and/or the macaque did or did not do changed between him trying to sell the story originally and later when he was asserting copyright over the photo. Based on his latter version, yes arguable under UK law. Based on his original version of the story, less so....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

........which is why I said "probably not in the US".

Indonesia is a signatory to the Berne Convention, so there's some reciprocity, but that would only apply to his rights in Indonesia.

It's here, if you want to have a look. No surprises really.

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/Copyright_Act_of_Republic_of_Indonesia

 

You might find it useful to have a look at the "intellectual creation" concept if it might impinge on your style of work.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The monkey story really makes me sad and angry. Many of the photographers who get their images in camera traps where it is the animal who triggers the shutter are doing a lot to study the animals and make it possible to protect them. The photographer owns the copyright morally no matter what the various governments have to say about it. Very bad for animals if photographers can't afford to do that kind of work.

 

Paulette

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit of the stable door about that story. IIRC he put the image about before being decisive about his rights. Not a problem in the UK or EU but definitely one elsewhere.

Edited by spacecadet

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Inchiquin said:

 

There's a big difference between sharing and giving. If you 'give' to a large organisation that can then use your 'gift' for its own purposes, to whatever end it likes, then you are not sharing but being exploited.

 

IMO.

 

Alan

 

 

Yes, this contest seems more than simply sharing, although the difference between giving away and sharing can be a fine line sometimes. Whatever the case, I'm all for doing global good, but I would also like (and need) some money to pay for groceries. If the necessities of life were free, I would no doubt feel differently.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Earth Canada? What about Earth Brooklyn? I could get involved with that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

Earth Canada? What about Earth Brooklyn? I could get involved with that. 


I'm afraid you'll have to go up to Canada or down to Brazil.

640px-Participating_Countries_WLE_2017.s

*Each individual countries competition is seperate with differing prices and rules.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Ed Rooney said:

Earth Canada? What about Earth Brooklyn? I could get involved with that. 

 

There are lots of other options that you can choose from.

 

I don't see Brooklyn or even the USA on the list of countries, but don't worry you're still part of planet Earth. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Canada or . . . Brazil? That's a heck of a walk. I've been to both, and both are fine places, but Brooklyn is special. The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce does not permit its name to appear on lists or in groups of lists to do this or do that. No Earth USA either? Maybe that's been changed to Earth Trump. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Canada or . . . Brazil? That's a heck of a walk. I've been to both, and both are fine places, but Brooklyn is special. The Brooklyn Chamber of Commerce does not permit its name to appear on lists or in groups of lists to do this or do that. No Earth USA either? Maybe that's been changed to Earth Trump. 

 

One sincerely hopes not. You're right, it's a long walk from Brooklyn to Nunavut or Amazonia, and the subway doesn't go that far either.  ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.