Sign in to follow this  
Mike Brooks

Anyone else experiencing slow uploads?

The last two days my uploads to the site have been painfully slow. Often it manages two images (slowly) and then simply stops, which means I have to refresh and re-load the batch. Anyone able to report similar?

I've had no problems with FTP.

Used the standard IM uploader earlier, no trouble whatsoever.

Maybe your broadband supplier?

Uploaded a few images yesterday morning with the IM uploader.  1st few sent normally but the last few sloowed waay down but completed without problem.

I recently had problems and the connection would time out via FTP. I've since changed the FTP setting never to time out.

Thanks everyone - my internet connection seems to be working really well so I'm unsure what might be causing this. I'll have a go tomorrow very early in the morning, perhaps the traffic into the site will be less heavy.

On June 6 I sent the following message to Alamy: 

Today using FileZilla I uploaded 150 photographic  images to a European agency in 60 minutes, or about 0.4 minutes per image.

Then I immediately started uploading the same images to Alamy using the Upload function.  This took three hours and 13 minutes, or about 1.28 minutes per image.  This ties up the computer an excessive amount of time.

Is there some way to increase the upload speed to Alamy?

Alamy replied: 

If you are uploading large batches of images we would suggest you do so via FTP and not through the online uploader.

I don't know if 150 images qualifies as "a large batch".  I haven't yet tried the FTP uploader but I will the next time and will be interested to see if there is any notable difference.

Then you have your answer. Odd to use FZ for one agency but not Alamy. My images upload in about 2 seconds nowadays.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Upvote 1

Hi Everyone, It's been a little while since I had uploaded any images to Alamy. I am a bit bewildered why my large jpegs take so long to upload. something like 30 minutes per image. has anyone else experienced such a long upload time? I'm trying to upload just 4 images?