Just now, Colblimp said:

Oh my goodness, is that correct?  So some companies are being held to ransom by their web developers? Madness.

Ransom is the wrong word. My company will generally support the last two or three releases of any given software. Trying to support too many old versions becomes a technical nightmare and financially not viable. So our customers do have to 'keep up'. Equally, we have to keep up with our suppliers support requirements or lose support.

Just now, Matt Ashmore said:

Ransom is the wrong word. My company will generally support the last two or three releases of any given software. Trying to support too many old versions becomes a technical nightmare and financially not viable. So our customers do have to 'keep up'. Equally, we have to keep up with our suppliers support requirements or lose support.

Yeah, ransom was the wrong word to use.  As you put it that way, it makes sense, sort of.  I still maintain if a company doesn't like an update to its website, or in this case its forum, it should be able to refuse it.

1 minute ago, Colblimp said:

Yeah, ransom was the wrong word to use.  As you put it that way, it makes sense, sort of.  I still maintain if a company doesn't like an update to its website, or in this case its forum, it should be able to refuse it.

A good example is Microsoft Windows. Nowadays they support Window 7, 8, 10.

You can still choose to use Windows 95, 98, NT, XP, etc... but if it breaks, you are on your own...

35 minutes ago, Colblimp said:

And yet again Alamy 'fixes' something which isn't broken.  FFS LEAVE THINGS ALONE!!! :angry::angry::angry:

Just because it ain't broken doesn't mean it can't be modified/amended/improved. Think about it! 

This is ok for me. I'm adaptable. It's just a matter of figuring out my way around the new features. I'll get it eventually. I do think everything will be smooth when the bugs are crushed.

Mainly,  I have to accept that it's here. I'm all for pointing out the ?? so they can be fixed, but all the gnashing of my teeth won't roll it back, it'll only make me upset. I don't need to live in that state. That goes for the AIM. It's here. Alamy has done things to make it better and I appreciate that.  I can quit shooting and uploading, (called cutting my nose off to spite my face) or I can work with it. It's not my agency, it's Alamy's. They have the say-so.

Of course, the fact I actually love the new AIM since it suits the way I work perfectly puts me in a happy place!  :D  My name isn't Pollyanna, either. I just know when to pick my battles....the ones I might actually win. Edit..fix line spacing. :unsure: I'll get it, I'll get it.....

Pollyanna  oops, Betty

19 hours ago, wiskerke said:

i don't need any of that in my life

i don't need green or reds either - but i just ignore those

i do want to have a one button click to go from the forum to my homepage though- like we used to have

change is good - but unnecessary change isn't 

16 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

Very top right of the forum page.. above your name.. an oblong shape with 'Search' written in it and a picture of a magnifying glass.

forum_search.png

Wasn't there yesterday!

Allan

10 minutes ago, Matt Ashmore said:

"Alamy URL" has also gone. So I presume they are working to link to the number of images as before. 

You'd think they'd leave the link that worked until they'd fixed the one that doesn't?

12 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

Is there any way to get to the first unread post instead of having to click through from the first page of a thread every time?

Click on "unread content at the top. And as usual then click the little blue circle or star, it will take you to the first unread post.  Now yesterday my laptop did not show the "unread content" link.  Also didn't show my name and pic either, yet I was logged in and could post.  No problems on the desktop or tablet though.  Go figure.

Jill

4 minutes ago, Jill Morgan said:

Click on "unread content at the top. And as usual then click the little blue circle or star, it will take you to the first unread post.  Now yesterday my laptop did not show the "unread content" link.  Also didn't show my name and pic either, yet I was logged in and could post.  No problems on the desktop or tablet though.  Go figure.

Jill

Many thanks. It used to be automatic.

1 hour ago, arterra said:

A pity we can't see directly anymore who's also reading the same topic :( But ........ perhaps Alamy eliminated that function for a reason -_- (wink wink nudge nudge ;))

Cheers,

Philippe

PS: how to remove that extra space when starting a new line? :wacko:

wim found the answer on page one of this thread.;)

Allan

Hello everyone,

Apologies for the confusion this update caused. As Matt kindly mentioned, this was released early from the company we work with who provide this board, without our final approval, so there were a few things that needed (and still need) to be fixed.

Hopefully it won't have caused you too much disruption, but you might see a few tweaks here and there over the coming days whilst things settle down. We're aware of the image link not working yet and this should be fixed very soon.

Much of the functionality remains identical to before and the changes are mostly behind the scenes. The main driver for the update is to increase security. Given that you use the same credentials here as you do for your Alamy account, we hope you can appreciate how important it is to make sure this area is up to date. The previous version of this board had some security holes that needed filling, and the version we were using was outdated and no longer supported. That has all been fixed securely now and further, there may be some nice little additional features we can utilise in due course.

Cheers

Alamy

3 hours ago, Alamy said:

Hello everyone,

Apologies for the confusion this update caused. As Matt kindly mentioned, this was released early from the company we work with who provide this board, without our final approval, so there were a few things that needed (and still need) to be fixed.

Hopefully it won't have caused you too much disruption, but you might see a few tweaks here and there over the coming days whilst things settle down. We're aware of the image link not working yet and this should be fixed very soon.

Much of the functionality remains identical to before and the changes are mostly behind the scenes. The main driver for the update is to increase security. Given that you use the same credentials here as you do for your Alamy account, we hope you can appreciate how important it is to make sure this area is up to date. The previous version of this board had some security holes that needed filling, and the version we were using was outdated and no longer supported. That has all been fixed securely now and further, there may be some nice little additional features we can utilise in due course.

Cheers

Alamy

Thank you, Alamy. Security these days is very important.  I'm looking forward to new features. I'm liking what I'm seeing so far.

11 hours ago, Foreign Export said:

i do want to have a one button click to go from the forum to my homepage though- like we used to have

Yes, I've been finding this very annoying, as I typically go into the forum without putting it into a new tab, and now the route back has disappeared.

27 minutes ago, Bill Kuta said:

Yes, I've been finding this very annoying, as I typically go into the forum without putting it into a new tab, and now the route back has disappeared.

I'd like to see a direct link from the forum to "my dashboard" -- right now it's a bit of circuitous route unless you create a tab.

Archived