Make £9,000 with newspaper content!

mickfly

I recently wrote a blog about my local paper who had started a Facebook 'Camera Club' page with crazy T&C's for the contributors.

Article here.

It was clearly for farming free content from desperate local photographers and now here's the reason they are so keen...

Newsquest's "shabby scheme" gives new meaning to free newspapers

Do we supply any Newsquest titles VIA Alamy?

And they will probably get a lot.

How can you publish news that you don't know is correct or not?  I see lawsuits down the line.

Jill

People also like to post other people's pictures and claim they took them.

I hardly ever post images on facebook anymore, except on my dog collar business page.  The few I sdo post on my personal page (which is private and I only have 35 friends attached to it), I delete it not long after.

The more friends you have, the more your images can be spread over the internet, even if you don't share them anywhere.

Jill

How can you publish news that you don't know is correct or not?  I see lawsuits down the line.

Jill

...thus creating a secondary infringement when the paper uses it. Great......two parties to sue!

Jill

...thus creating a secondary infringement when the paper uses it. Great......two parties to sue!

Which is what happened with you know who.

I hardly ever post images on facebook anymore, except on my dog collar business page.  The few I sdo post on my personal page (which is private and I only have 35 friends attached to it), I delete it not long after.

The more friends you have, the more your images can be spread over the internet, even if you don't share them anywhere.

Jill

I doubt that the files wil be deleted after you removed it. 

Jill

Jill, I actively use Facebook to drive traffic to my 'normal' website and I have also had infringements settled with images lifted from sharing pages ie Facebook and Flickr.

I watermark my images, but a friend actually seems to flood FB with non watermarked images, and, call me a cynic, but maybe he wants those infringements to happen!

Jill

Jill, I actively use Facebook to drive traffic to my 'normal' website and I have also had infringements settled with images lifted from sharing pages ie Facebook and Flickr.

I watermark my images, but a friend actually seems to flood FB with non watermarked images, and, call me a cynic, but maybe he wants those infringements to happen!

You do have to realize that when you post images to facebook, you sign over the rights to facebook.  Same with twitter and instagram.  It's deciding if the odd infringement is worth the promotion.

Even anything you write on facebook is handed over to them.

Jill

Jill

You do have to realize that when you post images to facebook, you sign over the rights to facebook.  Same with twitter and instagram.  It's deciding if the odd infringement is worth the promotion.

Jill

No.

You give a licence to Facebook only, not to anyone else.

Jill

Jill

No.

Yes Mark, and they have the right to sell your images.  And your copy.

Jill

Jill

Jill

No.

Yes Mark, and they have the right to sell your images.  And your copy.

Jill

Not quite Jill.

They need your permission to post on their platform otherwise THEY might be infringing, just as every APP on your phone requires permission to use various parts of your device.

If I gave you a page on my website I would ask for your permission to allow me to post images there for you. It doesn't mean I would own the image or have the rights to sell it.

From Facebooks Terms and Conditions:

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it

From Facebooks Terms and Conditions:

1. For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it

http://time.com/3615271/facebook-privacy-policy-photos/

Facebook probably didn't supply any images to any newspaper.(they don't own the images).
I had one lifted in January from a Facebook group by a Daily Star reporter, credited to Facebook and posted on the online version of the paper.

I pursued an infringement claim, it was removed and I was paid within 30 days.

Facebook was credited but had nothing to do with it. I dare say that any image with 'copyright facebook' has simply been lifted and they still think that crediting in any way is good enough to satisfy the FB user.

Facebook probably didn't supply any images to any newspaper.(they don't own the images).

I had one lifted in January from a Facebook group by a Daily Star reporter, credited to Facebook and posted on the online version of the paper.

I pursued an infringement claim, it was removed and I was paid within 30 days.

Facebook was credited but had nothing to do with it. I dare say that any image with 'copyright facebook' has simply been lifted and they still think that crediting in any way is good enough to satisfy the FB user.

I don't know, but in its terms it says they have the right to sub-license your images.  And they don't say just on facebook.  I didnt say they owned the images, but have the rights to sub-license.  There are not qualifications in the terms to constrain their use.

Jill

Archived