What's Most Time Consuming for You?

I was treated to a fly-fishing day on the Test in Hampshire once. I quickly developed a migraine. I didn't catch anything, but the trout didn't catch me either.

Fish icing on a cake? ohmygod.

Don't knock it until you try it, Ed. ;) mmmm, fish icing.

You assume I am fly fishing for trout. No. I use 4 pound test line with a one pound leader, a bb shot sinker on the main line, a tiny gold hook. For bait, salmon eggs, or a piece of whole kernel corn, a pinch of marshmallow to float it. Sometimes I use tiny lures. Edited to add, I wear chest waders to get out where the holes hold the fish. With my light line, it doesn't cast very far.

I catch my limit in the first hour while Bob, who occasionally fly fishes, is lucky to catch one. But for the most part, I catch and release, so the fun can go on.

Fly fishing clears my head after long sessions of darkroom work or other intensive stuff. I'm lucky to have access to a stretch of trout and sea trout river that I can see from my studio. Those of you who may have viewed the short film that was made to show in my current retrospective exhibition at the National Library of Wales,

-  might have spotted some fly rods in my studio. Some are split cane which I made myself from scratch. Another therapeutic exercise. 

Is the giant Anderson Shelter your studio?

"Another enthusiastic dish washer here, although I generally listen to the football phone in while doing it. People with dish washing machines don't know what they are missing, very therapeutic."

Washed dishes by hand for years. Found nothing therapeutic about it. I just got dishpan hands.

Making a pie from scratch is therapeutic. Making wall art from a photo is therapeutic.

Doing the Texas two-step to Boot-scootin' Boogie is most therapeutic. ;)

Sitting under a tree at dusk alone in the forest, without moving, without making any noise. Hear the natural sounds fading out and making place for the lonely owl's  

.  See a deer passing by, a mouse foraging between your shoes......... and watch a family of badgers leaving their den ....... 30 feet in front of you...... totally unaware of your presence.......

Now - ladies and gentlemen - THAT is therapeutic -_-

HDRKP3.jpg CF148H.jpg CBXFN5.jpg BEK5W6.jpg

Cheers,

Philippe (also proud member of the "washing-dishes-by-hand clan")

I'd need rucksack full of toilet tissue if I were to sit out all night in the forest. lol I do like fishing though. All troubles left behind with all concentration on luring Mr Trout.  Oh and annotation is my pet hate especially now we have the new IM as it takes even longer than before.  :angry:

I was treated to a fly-fishing day on the Test in Hampshire once. I quickly developed a migraine. I didn't catch anything, but the trout didn't catch me either.

Fish icing on a cake? ohmygod.

Don't knock it until you try it, Ed. ;) mmmm, fish icing.

You assume I am fly fishing for trout. No. I use 4 pound test line with a one pound leader, a bb shot sinker on the main line, a tiny gold hook. For bait, salmon eggs, or a piece of whole kernel corn, a pinch of marshmallow to float it. Sometimes I use tiny lures. Edited to add, I wear chest waders to get out where the holes hold the fish. With my light line, it doesn't cast very far.

I catch my limit in the first hour while Bob, who occasionally fly fishes, is lucky to catch one. But for the most part, I catch and release, so the fun can go on.

Fly fishing clears my head after long sessions of darkroom work or other intensive stuff. I'm lucky to have access to a stretch of trout and sea trout river that I can see from my studio. Those of you who may have viewed the short film that was made to show in my current retrospective exhibition at the National Library of Wales,

-  might have spotted some fly rods in my studio. Some are split cane which I made myself from scratch. Another therapeutic exercise. 

Is the giant Anderson Shelter your studio?

Not an Anderson shelter as such but I know what you mean. Inside, as you will see from the film, it is centrally heated, has insulated concrete block cavity walls and insulated ceiling / roof, is spacious for my needs and secure. It's also cosy, has all services, easy to maintain, economical to run and very practical. There's a large darkroom, (not shown on the film) where I make my archival B&W silver and platinum prints for sale through galleries and dealers. I built it with the money I made from some of the profits from print sales during a big touring exhibition I had in about 1984 - the 'Great Little Tin Sheds of Wales'. (See my website and a new book of that work has been published - http://www.pete-davis-photography.com/sales.html).An architect friend of mine designed the studio with that in mind as a semi joke as I pulled down an old tin shed here to make the space. However, it resolved a practical problem for a fairly economical build and a high ceiling inside. (The tin roof needs no timber supports inside). It has big patio doors and windows along one side for bags of natural light and a fabulous view over the river valley below and the many Red Kites that live near here. A pair just behind the studio. It's halfway up my garden so I can watch my strawberries, raspberries, asparagus, globe artichokes as they grow and ripen etc. The other half of the garden is behind and has trees, shrubs, big brick-built barbeque and tables and seating for quiet al fresco dining on warm summer evenings. I also don't have far to go to work in the mornings! Life's a bitch eh!?

Noticed yesterday after shooting product pictures that most time consuming is PP. When shooting something else it's just some 5 minutes per photo but product pictures are different. On a small device like 15x25 cm / 6x10 Inch, does not matter what colour, you see every... EVERY little dust or small scratch reflecting the light. Even after a good and long cleaning job, also took some 5 or 10 minutes per device. And on white or beige devices I have to Cut-Out the device, also taking some time. On dark devices I simply can adjust the curves a little into the white.

Yesterday I edited 12 Pictures and took more than 2 hours, and I'm not finished because i still have to cut-out some of those. Neat near white Amiga 1200  :wub:

Archived