Sony RX100 Mk III Eye level viewfinder.

There's a firmware update available, links posted below for PC and MAC.
I updated mine and it got rid of an error message I had which happened after the flash got wet. Haven't switched the flash on in case it reverts to flashing up the error message. I didn't really expect it to clear the issue but it did. :-)

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dscrx-series/dsc-rx100m3/downloads/00014490
https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dscrx-series/dsc-rx100m3/downloads/00014491

There's a firmware update available, links posted below for PC and MAC.

I updated mine and it got rid of an error message I had which happened after the flash got wet. Haven't switched the flash on in case it reverts to flashing up the error message. I didn't really expect it to clear the issue but it did. :-)

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dscrx-series/dsc-rx100m3/downloads/00014490

https://www.sony.co.uk/electronics/support/compact-cameras-dscrx-series/dsc-rx100m3/downloads/00014491

I upgraded mine without any problems. Although I did use a Windows PC as I saw some reports of problems with carrying out Sony firmware upgrades using a Mac.

Is there a reasonably priced waterproof housing available for the RX100, not for actual submersion but for kayaking etc ? ( I've seen a Meikon one at around £100 )

thanks

Geoff

Is there a reasonably priced waterproof housing available for the RX100, not for actual submersion but for kayaking etc ? ( I've seen a Meikon one at around £100 )

thanks

Geoff

There are the EWA marine sacs.

The Meikon is really cheap compared to Ikelite.

It does make it as large and heavy as a regular camera though.

The sacs do also add bulk, but it's a softer package.

The RX100 are absolutely not rainproof let alone splash- or waterproof.

I use a simple ziplock bag in rainy conditions. But not to shoot through.

I use a small umbrella and the Meikon when it's really wet.

wim

thanks Wim,

What I'd like is an Alamy compatible waterproof compact but they don't seem to exist. The Olympus TG4 has RAW but still a small sensor. 

For sea kayaking it needs to be tough,waterproof and small, ideally small enough for a buoyancy aid pocket. As far as I know nobody makes such a thing, seems a gap in the market to me.

Geoff

My Meikon is around 920g complete with the Mk2 camera, a lens shade, a cord, and a cheapo L-plate.

Size: 100x115x150mm.

Still a lot lighter and smaller than a Canon pro body at 1630g.

wim

My Meikon is around 920g complete with the Mk2 camera, a lens shade, a cord, and a cheapo L-plate.

wim

L-plate. I thought you'd have a full licence by now :rolleyes:  :D  :P

Phil

wim

L-plate. I thought you'd have a full licence by now :rolleyes:  :D  :P

Phil

LOL

:-)))

wim

• 1 year later...
On 5/4/2017 at 12:58, geoff s said:

thanks Wim,

What I'd like is an Alamy compatible waterproof compact but they don't seem to exist. The Olympus TG4 has RAW but still a small sensor. 

For sea kayaking it needs to be tough,waterproof and small, ideally small enough for a buoyancy aid pocket. As far as I know nobody makes such a thing, seems a gap in the market to me.

Geoff

Hi Geoff, 

I realise this thread is a year old, but I was just wondering if you managed to find an Alamy approved waterproof compact in the end?

I need to get a compact anyway, and would love it to be either waterproof up to 5-10 metres, or for a housing to be available that isn't costing more than the actual camera. I want to use the camera itself in situations where getting out a 5D IV isn't feasible/advisable, but I still want to shoot to meet QC standards. (some news situations, street photography, harsh environments etc). I wouldn't necessarily want to test the waterproof images for Alamy QC, I just need the waterproof element of the equation that to take it snorkelling in the Caribbean etc, those pics wouldn't be high enough quality for Alamy anyway (I don't have underwater lighting etc), so they're just for my private use. But the non-underwater pics should be able to meet QC. If you or anyone else have advice on this, let me know. Happy to spend maybe up to £500-600, need to decide in the next 2 weeks to take it abroad. Faced with a jungle of cameras that come up when googling...

(PS I know I could get the housing for my 5D cameras, but never really trust those housings enough to potentially sink the workhorses... :D)

Thanks for the suggestion, Bill. I quite like that camera (even though I am a 15+ yr Canon girl with 3 Canon bodies and Canon only lenses :D ). The only thing that worries me is that the kit lens is 3.5-5.6, which may be tricky for any under water use without additional lights. 

Snorkelling in relatively shallow lagoons in the tropics and there will be sufficient light. If you are snorkelling in deeper open water then lights are usually needed unless the subject is swimming in the top few feet below the surface. I also found my best results were with a 60mm f2.8 macro lens (nikon dslr). If you can get a sufficiently priced housing for the Canon I would take it. Good housing do not leak if O rings are properly greased.

Archived