Best settings for Sony RX100 MkIII?

Thanks to all those that have responded (greenies all round  :) ).

Now we've had some better weather I've been able to try some outdoor shots in good light, and I must confess I'm stunned at the quality that such a little camera can produce. Very happy.

I was lucky enough to spot an ex-demo RX100 Mk3 in John Lewis at £460, which they claimed was reduced from £579. But, when I pointed out that they were now were selling at ones £499 (new price or, Easter promotion?), they knocked another £60 off the used model. So I got a very lightly used, boxed RX100 Mk3 with 2 year warranty for £400. Well chuffed. So, if you're in John Lewis anywhere, watch out for their ex-demo stock and don't be afraid to ask for a deal.

I'm still erring towards using aperture priority mode with restricted ISO range at the moment, but I'm still learning what this little marvel can do.

The lens on the Mk 3 is excellent, only a little softening at the corners wide open, but other that that it's fine.

I like the EVF (it's why I chose an RX100 Mk III and expect I'll probably use that a lot of the time). But I do find the need to cup my other hand to shield my eye and the viewfinder from stray light as the pop-up finder is so small and has no eye cup.

Got my RX100 Mk III today for £499 and they threw in a 16Gb card and a screen protector too.

Allan

Well done, where did you get it?

Local independent retailer who I am on good terms with. Campkins of Cambridge. Dealt with them for years.

Allan

I moved from an (oversized) Nikon D800 to an OMD M10, started with the 12-40 pro lens and the 40-150 kit lens. The kit lenses offer good value, as most of my camera gear was stolen in Chile all Chile pictures here where made with a 14-42 and 40-150 Panasonic.

Works well for travel - leightweight, better sensor cleaning than my Nikons (D800/D300), larger depth of field, the sensor stabilization is amazing, and some nice features like live composite (adding ony light areas during night shots) and focusbracketing are in the package. My son used one on a 6 month bicyce trip under bad conditions, no issues.

Would not recommend it if you need shallow depth of field or shoot sports - but with any smaller sensor this would be worse. 

Hi all,

I have been researching 1" sensors in smallish compact cameras, prior to trying to find something decent. Apparently the 1" description in most compact cameras is somewhat of a fraud (see: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/one-inch-sensor.htm). Can anyone suggest a compact with a decent sensor size and that ticks all the Alamy quality control boxes? Thanks in advance. 

BW, John

It doesn't much matter whether the RX100 series cameras really have a 1" sensor or not. The proof is in the pudding. These cameras take good pictures. They are accepted by Alamy. They are small. They aren't much noticed by the public. And at least one photographer on Alamy uses one exclusively for his stock shooting. And a whole lot more have one as their take-everyplace camera.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

My first trip to St. Croix, I took my Nikon D800 and the original RX100. Because of the size and weight, I had to purposely use my Nikon with forethought. And got stared at. But since the Sony fit in a tiny cross-body purse, it went with me everywhere, was unobtrusive, and I ended up with 2/3 of my stock pictures from it. And, best yet, I had to look at the file name to distinguish between the Nikon and Sony, except those I liked the best turning out to be from the Sony.

Why? Because at a highly popular tourist destination, the best images seem to be those of opportunity. Like the native Cruzan riding his horse bareback on the beach when I was out for a stroll. He'd have been gone by the time I ran back to my cottage for the Nikon. But I quickly whipped the RX out. Things like that happened over and over. I must have a couple of hundred images from two St. Croix trips from the RX100 and RX100 mk3 on Alamy.

Betty

The Lensmate adapters fit all RX100 models. They're $7.95. I have them on both of mine. I never put a filter on. (What's the point with digital? Polarizing maybe. For everything else: use/learn more Photoshop.) I do have close-up lenses and lens shades. And 2 tele adapters. (Poor man's RX10!) Those have to be very lightweight because all adapters are 1 - glued and 2 - sit at the front of an intricate lens tube.

Like with the filters I tend to use none of those also.

But I could. ;-)

wim

You'll like it, Allan. I expect to see Greatness! from you and RoXie.

"RoXie"

So, I'm not the only one having a pet name for my RX100 ;-) Mine is called "Klein Spuuk" (local dialect meaning "little ghost").

Cheers,

Philippe

And here's me thinking RoXie is another forum contributor. :)

I haven't given my RX100 a name. Yet. ;)

Allan

Anyone know if it is possible to fit a filter to the lens on the Sony RX100 M3? My previously owned Cybershot cameras did not accommodate.

BW, John

The Mk3 has a digital ND filter built in. It is in the menu somewhere.

Allan

You'll like it, Allan. I expect to see Greatness! from you and RoXie.

Here's me thinking I wasn't doing too bad with my Nikon, RX100 MkI either. Oh well! Back to the grindstone. :(

Allan

The Lensmate adapters fit all RX100 models. They're $7.95. I have them on both of mine. I never put a filter on. (What's the point with digital? Polarizing maybe. For everything else: use/learn more Photoshop.) I do have close-up lenses and lens shades. And 2 tele adapters. (Poor man's RX10!) Those have to be very lightweight because all adapters are 1 - glued and 2 - sit at the front of an intricate lens tube.

But I could. ;-)

wim

Hi Wim, I was thinking more in terms of protection rather than control. Seems like a lot of £ if the lens is going to be exposed to dust and potential scratches etc. :-)

Anyone know if it is possible to fit a filter to the lens on the Sony RX100 M3? My previously owned Cybershot cameras did not accommodate.

BW, John

Allan

Cheers Allan - was approaching from the angle of protection rather than picture effects but useful to know nonetheless. :-)

I moved from an (oversized) Nikon D800 to an OMD M10, started with the 12-40 pro lens and the 40-150 kit lens. The kit lenses offer good value, as most of my camera gear was stolen in Chile all Chile pictures here where made with a 14-42 and 40-150 Panasonic.

Works well for travel - leightweight, better sensor cleaning than my Nikons (D800/D300), larger depth of field, the sensor stabilization is amazing, and some nice features like live composite (adding ony light areas during night shots) and focusbracketing are in the package. My son used one on a 6 month bicyce trip under bad conditions, no issues.

Would not recommend it if you need shallow depth of field or shoot sports - but with any smaller sensor this would be worse. 

Hi all,

I have been researching 1" sensors in smallish compact cameras, prior to trying to find something decent. Apparently the 1" description in most compact cameras is somewhat of a fraud (see: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/one-inch-sensor.htm). Can anyone suggest a compact with a decent sensor size and that ticks all the Alamy quality control boxes? Thanks in advance. 

BW, John

It doesn't much matter whether the RX100 series cameras really have a 1" sensor or not. The proof is in the pudding. These cameras take good pictures. They are accepted by Alamy. They are small. They aren't much noticed by the public. And at least one photographer on Alamy uses one exclusively for his stock shooting. And a whole lot more have one as their take-everyplace camera.

Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

My first trip to St. Croix, I took my Nikon D800 and the original RX100. Because of the size and weight, I had to purposely use my Nikon with forethought. And got stared at. But since the Sony fit in a tiny cross-body purse, it went with me everywhere, was unobtrusive, and I ended up with 2/3 of my stock pictures from it. And, best yet, I had to look at the file name to distinguish between the Nikon and Sony, except those I liked the best turning out to be from the Sony.

Why? Because at a highly popular tourist destination, the best images seem to be those of opportunity. Like the native Cruzan riding his horse bareback on the beach when I was out for a stroll. He'd have been gone by the time I ran back to my cottage for the Nikon. But I quickly whipped the RX out. Things like that happened over and over. I must have a couple of hundred images from two St. Croix trips from the RX100 and RX100 mk3 on Alamy.

Betty

Hi Betty,

Take your point. The baby will not be thrown out with the bathwater! 

Agree about keeping it small and unobtrusive. As a matter of interest is it a fixed lens or interchangeable? 

BW

John

But I could. ;-)

wim

Hi Wim, I was thinking more in terms of protection rather than control. Seems like a lot of £ if the lens is going to be exposed to dust and potential scratches etc. :-)

I seem to remember there was a simple glass filter that could be glued on. Not sure why one would need that. When closed, the lens is well protected against impact. There can be some dust coming through the protective shutter, but only in really dusty environments. So the front lens is only briefly exposed when shooting. If I don't have it in it's purse on my belt, it's in my hand, but with the lens retracted. I had two repairs so far, both were cheap. One was a stuck aperture, probably caused by impact or a really serious shock. The other was a dust bunny probably at the back of the lens, as it was quite big but not very well defined. That one probably worked it's way in through the side of the lens tube. No filter would help against that.

Maybe one by the London Rubber Company?

;-)

wim

I use a polarizing filter often on my Mk1, using the Sony adapter. The filter comes off and goes on very easily, and the adapter can act as a bit of a lens shade. Also, I carry a plain filter for shooting in the rain/snow. 

I use a polarizing filter often on my Mk1, using the Sony adapter. The filter comes off and goes on very easily, and the adapter then acts as a bit of a lens shade. Also, I carry a plain filter for shooting in the rain/snow. 

I have an underwater housing for that ;-)

It's quite cheap.

wim

Was offered £170 for my (well used) RX10 today from WeX as a part EX on an RX100 series model.

I don't want to hijack the thread but would appreciate opinions on whether to go RX100MK 111 or higher, ie is there enough spec difference to justify the price hike?

BW, John

Allan

Cheers Allan - was approaching from the angle of protection rather than picture effects but useful to know nonetheless. :-)

Ahh! Right!

I think that putting a protective filter over the RX100 lens is just adding more refractive surfaces for little gain as far as protection goes.

It would also be further forward of the lens increasing possibility of flare.

The only thing I would go with for increased lens protection is a lens hood of some kind. At least it protects from sideways contact if not directly from the front.

Allan

The obvious break for stills is between Mk2 and Mk3, when it went from a 28-100mm eq to a 24-70mm eq.

According to DXO and Dpreview the quality goes up a tiny little bit at each step. A bit less noise mainly at long exposures or night shots.

The burst rates get higher.

Focusing gets a bit quicker every time, but from IV to V seems to have made a big step.

From Mk2 onward there's WiFi.

From Mk3 onward there's a viewfinder.

Mk1 is the lightest and thinnest (around 2mm.)

Mk2 is the only one with external flash.

For video I would go for the latest.

For still it's about features. Nice to have vs must have.

I'm thinking about changing the Mk1 for the MkV. But I will keep the Mk2 for it's longer reach.

I have rented the RX10 mk2 and am contemplating the mk3 as well for certain projects. Otoh renting is not that bad either. -Obviously not suited for the RX100 though.

Here video rentals carry those, no photography companies afaik.

wim

Pushed the RX100 Mk1 to its limits a few days ago. Went underground  :ph34r:

tourist-looking-at-big-stalagmite-in-the

Tourist looking at big stalagmite in the Caves of Han-sur-Lesse / Grottes de Han, Belgian Ardennes, Belgium

Handheld in "Night scene" mode  -_-

f2.8

ISO ........ 125  :o

Cheers,

Philippe

I can see a face in this image and I don't mean the chap behind the pillar, I mean in the rock formation. ^_^

Anyone else see it?

Allan

C'mon Philippe, you took it, where is it?

ITMA

Archived