How to have multiple stock photography sites. Then sell the rights to a photo.

You sell photo rights to a photo on one. Alamy lets you delete it but doesn't remove it for 6 months from the buyers for 3 months. At 6 months it is deleted completely. It looks like you can get into quite a quandary. I have no sales on Alamy yet but 18 elsewhere. !2 are on another site. I have been on for almost a month.

Alamy isn't exclusive. You can sell your images on as many sites as you wish at the same time. Just make sure that you don't offer the same images as RM on one site and RF on another.

Or perhaps I misunderstood your question...

Thanks John, 

Can you do RM on more than one site. Will you run into the issue of not being able to stop a photo on sale right away from site A, because it sold on site b.

Being asked to sell the rights to an image would be scarcer than hen's teeth or flying pigs! NFL, you might be confused between licencing an image for non exclusive use, which is what happens 99.9% of the time, and selling off your image + copyright. If you are with more than one agent, you must ensure that non are exclusive for images you place elsewhere.

The reason I ask is the first part of Dec 2016 I started Alamy with about 50 photos. Into January nothing. I got bored and stopped. February I was notified by Alamy that a buyer wanted to use one of my photos as a book cover and wanted to know if they  chose my photo I would have to remove the photo from the other sites. At the time I had stopped with all this and only had one other site. They said the price would be 900+ and I as you would imagine with only about 50 photos uploaded. I was immediately fired up and haven't calmed down sense then. That is why I don't want to get in that situation. If I am approached again I don't want to say no if I can't deactivate a photo from another site soon enough. The thing I have found that the sites I have made my sales on are the strictest on accepting photos. Alamy accepts all my photos and I haven't made a dime, hmm. One site will be one month and I have 12 sales.

Thanks for the info Jeff,

No they obviously chose another photo. But being so new I was so honored. Either way it did get me motivated permanently. I love stock photography. 

February I was notified by Alamy that a buyer wanted to use one of my photos as a book cover and wanted to know if they chose my photo I would have to remove the photo from the other sites...They said the price would be 900+...Alamy accepts all my photos and I haven't made a dime

That was $950 gross trade book cover exclusivity for ~10 yrs?

That DOESN'T require removing it from one's other agencies.

It can still be licensed for all non-trade-book uses, e.g., newspapers, magazines, posters, postcards, etc.

It means informing one's other agencies they CAN'T licenses it to trade book publishers for 10 years...

If other agencies don't accept restrictions, then Y :o E :o A :o H, delete AFTER Alamy licenses it.

But "I haven't made a dime" sounds like it wasn't licensed... :ph34r: :ph34r: :ph34r:

Jeff, I saw on some of your photos you have Rm and RF checked at the top of the page. Do you do that on everything? What do you suggest. Thank you so much for your input.

' .......... The reason I ask is the first part of Dec 2016 I started Alamy with about 50 photos. Into January nothing. I got bored and stopped ......'

Stock photography - as a business - is not a sprint it is a marathon, I have just recently had a license on an image taken twenty-three years ago .... for the fourth or fifth time. 

The performance is measured in years not weeks.

BTW, Norm, if you don't have the releases at least for the persons you cannot sell  HYY387 with two obvious people without ticking the editorial only box or sell as RM and tick the correct boxes about people and property in the optional section. Also remember that macro sites - and Alamy - have another view on property - more often a release could be required - than at the micro sites.

Edited: and the people don't have to be obvious - for distant people and any parts of people that same rule applies.

' .......... The reason I ask is the first part of Dec 2016 I started Alamy with about 50 photos. Into January nothing. I got bored and stopped ......'

Stock photography - as a business - is not a sprint it is a marathon, I have just recently had a license on an image taken twenty-three years ago .... for the fourth or fifth time. 

The performance is measured in years not weeks.

Yes, I do realize that Matt. I am looking at this as an ongoing hobby at this point. It will continually pay off for past work. That is really cool about your recent sale. That is how I look at it.

BTW, Norm, if you don't have the releases at least for the persons you cannot sell  HYY387 with two obvious people without ticking the editorial only box or sell as RM and tick the correct boxes about people and property in the optional section. Also remember that macro sites - and Alamy - have another view on property - more often a release could be required - than at the micro sites.

Edited: and the people don't have to be obvious - for distant people and any parts of people that same rule applies.

Thanks for the information. I rechecked that photo. I didn't realize I hadn't ticked the editorial only box on that one. Thanks for the constructive feedback, Niels.

The reason I ask is the first part of Dec 2016 I started Alamy with about 50 photos. Into January nothing. I got bored and stopped. February I was notified by Alamy that a buyer wanted to use one of my photos as a book cover and wanted to know if they  chose my photo I would have to remove the photo from the other sites. At the time I had stopped with all this and only had one other site. They said the price would be 900+ and I as you would imagine with only about 50 photos uploaded. I was immediately fired up and haven't calmed down sense then. That is why I don't want to get in that situation. If I am approached again I don't want to say no if I can't deactivate a photo from another site soon enough. The thing I have found that the sites I have made my sales on are the strictest on accepting photos. Alamy accepts all my photos and I haven't made a dime, hmm. One site will be one month and I have 12 sales.

Do you mind telling us what you got per sale?  <_<

No need to answer. I think I know  :rolleyes:

Thanks Clement for your feedback. I am learning from everybody. I see after looking a your photos you can take a picture of anything and everything, dead animals on the road, cars wrecked, inside Library's, street corners, car transports, Hallways. The possibilities are endless.

I got a similar request from Alamy (and no sale yet either).

The image was with another agent - I simply contacted them and they placed a restriction on it ruling out its use for a book cover.

It's understandable that a publisher wouldn't want to see the same pic on the cover of another book, but there's no reason to stop it being sold for other uses.

I got a similar request from Alamy (and no sale yet either)...image was with another agent - I simply contacted them and they placed a restriction on it ruling out its use for a book cover.

Why not restrict ONLY upon learning Alamy licensed image -- NOT BEFORE?!!

Why lose opportunity for other agencies' licensing in advance of  something that may or may not happen???

Jeff, you really give great advice. Myself and I am sure others really appreciate it. It is nice to get info from someone that doesn't have a self righteous snippy attitude. I have so much to learn.

Archived