I sense a re-rank

So what I think you are saying is you can have the exact same pseudonym name from two different accounts. 

That could mean that two photographers could accidentally  (or intentionally) pick the same pseudonym that appears in image license credits.  I didn't know that.

That's right.  If two photographers have the same name they could have the same pseudo.

Pearl

So what I think you are saying is you can have the exact same pseudonym name from two different accounts. 

That could mean that two photographers could accidentally  (or intentionally) pick the same pseudonym that appears in image license credits.  I didn't know that.

That happened to me some time ago.

I was first to use "abellimages" for my pseudo. Then along comes another Alan Bell who used the same for his pseudo.

As my images and his images were coming up together when someone was looking just for my images specifically I contacted CS about it.

Was informed that once a pseudo is used it is NOT blocked to other contributors. Asked CS if they could contact other guy and get him to change as he had very few images at the time and it made sense for him to change.

In fairness they tried with the other guy but he was not replying to CS.

In the end I had to change my pseudo and ended up in the doldrums for a while before things started to pick up a bit. :angry:

Allan

I am NOT changing again and believe once a pseudo is registered no other contributor should be able to use it automatically.

ITMA

I agree Allan.  With all the AI computer smarts going around (!) one would think this would be an easy fix for Alamy.

Yes, a system similar to those used for domain-name registration would make sense -- i.e. one that won't let you choose a particular pseudo if it is already taken.

I agree Allan.  With all the AI computer smarts going around (!) one would think this would be an easy fix for Alamy.

Yes, a system similar to those used for domain-name registration would make sense -- i.e. one that won't let you choose a particular pseudo if it is already taken.

Right, I have had the pseudo Alamy for ages and I'm keeping it.

wim

I have a theory -- call it the "Search Engine Indigestion Theory" -- that the fewer keywords / tags an image has, the more likely it will be that supertags work well. Conversely, the more "discoverable" an image is -- i.e. the more tags it has -- the less likely it is that supertags will do their intended job.

Has anyone tested this shaky hypothesis?

I haven't tested this hypothesis very much, but the tests I was running some weeks ago suggested that an image with only one supertag would return higher up the search results than a similar image with the same supertag and several other supertags.

Since then I have avoided creating supertags just for the sake of having 10 supertags and will only add those supertag phrases I think will be genuinely beneficial to the searcher. I also only put in ordinary tags which are relevant to the main subject of the picture - I rarely get anywhere near 50 tags, usually only half that figure. 

I'm hoping that in the long term this approach will out-perform those contributors lured by the false god of green discoverability. I would not say this approach is a runaway success at the moment but I remain hopeful.

Archived