April 2017 Callenge: Popular sayings, proverbs or maxims.

wiskerke

British fixation with the weather sayings:

Rain before seven, fine by eleven.

the-mall-london-uk-10th-august-2014-earl

Mackerel sky and mare’s tails make tall ships carry more sails.

wimbledon-london-uk-18th-january-2017-th

When halo rings Moon or Sun, rain’s approaching on the run.

a-solar-halo-appearing-above-a-group-of-

fisherman-at-sanur-beach-bali-indonesia-

"Give a man a fish, you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime" - Chinese proverb

Or as an alternative (western) take: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit and drink beer all day ;)

fisherman-at-sanur-beach-bali-indonesia-

"Give a man a fish, you have fed him for today. Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime" - Chinese proverb

Or as an alternative (western) take: Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and he will sit and drink beer all day ;)

That could actually be more up my street!

Good challenge Wim, took a bit of thinking, but here's my three...

Breaking Down Barriers.

edge-of-a-broken-fence-post-A5DAY7.jpg

Clean Up Your Act

teenage-girl-long-dark-blonde-hair-hazel

No Smoke Without Fire.

sidmouth-devon-26th-dec-16-tin-mine-gag-

If you want to go fast, go alone.  If you want to go far, go together.

a-california-girls-soccer-team-who-just-

Red Sky at night, sailors delight,  Red sky at morning, sailor take warning

an-incredible-red-sunset-on-santa-monica

Life is short, eat dessert first.

an-asian-woman-working-at-eating-a-very-

Congrats on the win Wim! What a fascinating topic for the next one - Gets you really thinking...

Its a dog's life...

black-white-and-tan-jack-russell-terrier

Only two things in life are certain; Death and taxes

close-up-of-detail-from-tom-otterness-sc

Setting yourself up for a fall...

rear-view-of-car-being-towed-up-the-init

A Bird in the Hand...

rough-dirty-hands-cradling-baby-chick-BC

BCC5H7   Chick held in rough hands...

Look before you leap....

african-leopard-panthera-pardus-stalking

HJPCGM  Wildebeest jumping with Leopard lurking in the dust..

Don't cry over spilt milk...

african-elephant-calf-loxodonta-africana

CWFN8D  Orphaned elephant at the Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage.

Paulette

My first:

broadway-tower-an-18th-century-folly-on-

"An Englishman's home is his castle"

Kumar (The Doc one)

Doc, I just wrote you a report on my trip to India only to find that you can't accept any new messages. I assume your message box is full. I guess I could put the whole thing here for everyone to see so here goes..... Kumar had asked me to let him know how my search for tigers went. It went well....

Hi Kumar:

I am back from my trip to India and, yes, I did see and photograph a number of tigers. I haven't actually had time to look at many images but if I don't have good ones it is my own fault. I had plenty of opportunities. An Indian photographer I have met on trips told us that the mistake a lot of people make is to go to the parks when they are lush and green. You want to go when the underbrush is open so the tigers are visible so April seems to have been perfect. We also had special permits on three of the six days we were in the park. I don't know what they cost but I bet it was a bundle. On the special permit your driver is allowed to go everywhere in the park instead of being confined to one track. You can get into the park a bit earlier than others and stay later. Since the guides use prints in the dust of the road to track the tigers it is an advantage to get in before they are obscured with tire tracks. Also on the special permit you can buy a three hour safari on an elephant. The current policy is that they won't give you the opportunity until they know where there are tigers so you will definitely have some subjects to shoot. We only knew we could go at the very last minute before we entered the park. At first, the mahouts hadn't found any tigers. The disadvantage is that the shots are all from above but lots of opportunity. Our two young tigers only wanted to sleep but they were awakened and even made to snarl. Mind you, on a moving elephant it's hard to even get the lens pointing the right way but I think I got some keepers. I had some misgivings about all this. I don't like the way the elephants are disciplined. This year if you were on a special permit there had to be someone from the government in the vehicle. So there was a useless guy taking up the seat next to the driver and forcing the guide back with us. One of the things that Joe Van Os does with his tours is to make certain you have both sides of the vehicle so we were only two to a jeep. The guides were good at staying out of the way so it was more or less OK but not the way Joe likes it. There is a place in the park where they maintain a sort of cement bathtub for tigers and there was a family with three two month old cubs staying in that vicinity. The images taken at the bathtub look like they are taken at a zoo because of the cement but you also can get them coming and going and the presence of the water keeps them in the area. I had a wonderful and exhausting time. This is the trip we took.....http://photosafaris.com/Photo-Tours/2018/Tigers. Of course, it is so expensive I will never make the money back but I am doing this for the trips so it works for me. I must say I hope to never experience an Indian airport again. The security was having us take every camera and lens out of our bags and there was not enough counter space for six photographers to do this. It was a mess and on our flight back to the US we had to do it TWICE. Also, for the very first time I had to check the wheeled bag that I use to carry on my backpack. It is very strong and sits on four wheels so I can also put my computer bag on it and not have to carry anything on the long, long walks in international airports. It was about an inch too wide to go into their measuring guide even though it always goes easily into the overhead bins on large planes. I took my backpack out and wore it and had to carry the computer bag by hand. The guy said he wouldn't have done it but there was an inspector present. The bureaucracy in India is certainly difficult. Our leader was actually bumped from the plane on our internal flight back to Delhi and they had put him on the same flight THE NEXT DAY. Fortunately, the local tour guides in Delhi were excellent so we were OK but not happy to be without Joe. Bandhavgarh is a wonderful place for tigers. They have about 80 and they name them all. I had a most exhilarating time and am very glad I went. Let me know if you have questions.

Paulette

Hi Paulette!

Thanks for the fantastic report - and thanks also for pointing out my full mailbox (I didnt realise that after 50 messages the mailbox is full - there should be something that flags up rather than simply not receiving messages anymore!)

I have emptied my mailbox and will pm you

Kumar

Archived