WEX are selling mint Fuji xt1's for £379 so i grabbed one! It won't replace my Canon FF setup but any recommendations for single lightweight lens please.

Anybody have the 27mm pancake or should I go for the 23mm f2 (can't afford the f1.4).

TIA

Edited by LawrensonPhoto

WEX are selling mint Fuji xt1's for £379 so i grabbed one! It won't replace my Canon FF setup but any recommendations for single lightweight lens please.

Anybody have the 27mm pancake or should I go for the 23mm f2 (can't afford the f1.4).

TIA

For versatility I would go for the 18-55, much better than your average kit lens,  or if I could afford it the 18-135. But then I am happy with zooms, especially the Fuji ones.

I have the 18-135 and it lives on my back up X-T1, my X-T2 usually has the 16-55mm f2.8 fitted. I regret selling my 18-55mm, it is a great walk around lens as it is fairly compact, I might buy another when the mk2 comes out.

• Upvote 1

The 27mm pancake is cheap and very sharp even on borders. If a 40mm FF equivalent is what you're looking for buy it. The 23mm f2 is as good as the 27mm but 35mm FF equivalent. Grab the one you like depending on your taste, they're both excellent choices.

A couple of pictures taken with the 27mm pancake... (on picture 2, when zoomed at 100% you can count bricks on the dome).

palazzo-pitti-pitti-palace-museum-comple

a-glimpse-of-florence-tuscany-italy-euro

Edited by PhotoEclectica
  • Upvote 1

Looking at the first page of your images, you are mostly shooting outdoors. Like Martin, the 18-135 is the most versatile lens I own. When I set out to shoot outdoor stock, it is on my camera.

If you dig into my port, ignore tabletop (18-55 & 56) and birds (100-400), most of what you see is shot with the 18-135. Virtually all of the shops. The reason I prefer it over the 18-55 is that I can take two distinctly different views from the same spot. I cannot always zoom with my feet, and when I can, it takes up valuable time, and, no less, valuable energy, which I'm in short supply of these days.

I will say that the images of canoeing and paddleboarding was with the 50-140.

Like Martin, I love the zooms.

It does come down to what you most commonly shoot. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Betty

Thanks, I do like the idea of a one zoom fits all but I want to make it as light as possible. The pancake images look good. Choices, choices. Will update the thread when I get what i want.

BTW I currently have a Canon 35mm f2 IS lens with an adapter and the images are brilliant! :D

Any recommendations for jpg setup, sharpening, film simulation, etc. TIA

Any recommendations for jpg setup, sharpening, film simulation, etc. TIA

Shoot RAW...

• Upvote 1

You can't upload RAW files to Alamy live news :D

You can do in camera conversions and still have the RAW... ;)

• Upvote 1

For News I always shoot JPG+RAW. Upload the JPG to LIve News and then upload more considered, processed images for stock (sometimes as a replacement). I have used in camera raw conversion to rescue a critical news shot for immediate upload where I made mistake with exposure.

Generally I use the default settings, or set them to minimum. I choose film simulation depending on lighting conditions. In flat light I will use Velvia to increase contrast, on a bright day Provia or even Astia to reduce it.

For News I always shoot JPG+RAW. Upload the JPG to LIve News and then upload more considered, processed images for stock (sometimes as a replacement). I have used in camera raw conversion to rescue a critical news shot for immediate upload where I made mistake with exposure.

Generally I use the default settings, or set them to minimum. I choose film simulation depending on lighting conditions. In flat light I will use Velvia to increase contrast, on a bright day Provia or even Astia to reduce it.

Thanks, good info about the film simulation.

Get the 18-55mm  I have one on a Fuji X-Pro1 camera and it's awesome.  Far more useful than a fixed length lens, really well built, and super sharp.  

You need to download the photos to a computer of some sort to caption and keyword them before you file anyways, so you might was well spend the five minutes to convert it from RAW and give it a bit of good processing.