Proof- “Supertags” are not working properly - in fact they make image position worse.

Just to reiterate my findings from another thread confirming Doc and other's findings:

Reimar, on 16 Feb 2017 - 3:11 PM, said:snapback.png

Reimar, on 13 Feb 2017 - 10:50 AM, said:snapback.png

Not that this is news, but just for emphasis....

The other day I cleaned up the BHZ images for my 3 pseudos.  That means deleting duplicate keywords (getting them down to below 50) and adding supertags to the 10 limit.  They promptly fell about 4-5 pages in the BHZ search results.

Having BHZ only as a supertag, I then added BHZ to the caption.  My best pseudo went from page 9 to 1, and my second tier pseudos went from page 23 to 8.  Wow!

The caption is clearly a super-duper tag.

Just to add to my confusion:

I deleted bhz from my captions.  Today, the two poorer pseudos went back to page 23 (from 8).  Ok, that I get.

But my best pseudo went from page 1 all the way down to page 22 (not page 9 where it was).

Why on earth would that happen?

Just to follow this up a bit further...

Having made the BHZ supertag into a regular tag, all three images moved up.  The two second tier from page 23 to page 22, and my best pseudo from page 22 to page 6.

Thus confirming the general finding that supertags demote an image in search results (well done Alamy).

For those put off by BHZ, keep in mind this is just a search term like any other.  As Betty has pointed out, it avoids the problem of peanut butter cookie images coming on stream.  I have one image for each pseudo that I can easily recognize (try finding your cookie among thousands of others).

My tests also confirm the same, that adding supertags demotes images.  The only thing I'm puzzled by is Betty's results where she says in her "How many have you done?" thread that the images she reworked either stayed in the same positions or moved up.  

Again I say "Then we should make all tags normal tags and not have any supertags?" :blink:

Allan

Most of this discussion has been about old images. How about newly uploaded images. What might be the best strategy with new images-- use all normal tags or add supertags in hopes that the search engine will be fixed soon? What effect might supertags have on new images in the current situation?

Again I say "Then we should make all tags normal tags and not have any supertags?" :blink:

Allan

Most of this discussion has been about old images. How about newly uploaded images. What might be the best strategy with new images-- use all normal tags or add supertags in hopes that the search engine will be fixed soon? What effect might supertags have on new images in the current situation?

All tests I've done were on new images not old with the same results of supertags not making any difference 

I wonder if supertags are not actually (or not fully) implemented in the search engine, perhaps because the roll out of AIM is not complete? Or the rollout is complete but they are still working on AIM and the metadata?

Yes, we can only hope that Alamy is still "on it" when it comes to sorting out the supertag issues.

I don't know anything about this stuff. How commonly is the "supertag" (or something similar) idea used with search engines?

Allan

Allan,

Since it seems clear that this is a very real problem, we have to expect that Alamy will sort it out.

In the meantime, for what its worth, I am not doing much new keywording, but those that I am keywording I am just putting ordinary tags in, no supertags. However I am not going back and changing supertags to tags in images keyworded over the past copuple of months as that involves about 500-600 images, and I will only have to go back and re-supertag them once Alamy have got their act together

Hope this helps!

Kumar (the Doc one)

Just to reiterate my findings from another thread confirming Doc and other's findings:

The other day I cleaned up the BHZ images for my 3 pseudos.  That means deleting duplicate keywords (getting them down to below 50) and adding supertags to the 10 limit.  They promptly fell about 4-5 pages in the BHZ search results.

Having BHZ only as a supertag, I then added BHZ to the caption.  My best pseudo went from page 9 to 1, and my second tier pseudos went from page 23 to 8.  Wow!

I deleted bhz from my captions.  Today, the two poorer pseudos went back to page 23 (from 8).  Ok, that I get.

But my best pseudo went from page 1 all the way down to page 22 (not page 9 where it was).

Having made the BHZ supertag into a regular tag, all three images moved up.  The two second tier from page 23 to page 22, and my best pseudo from page 22 to page 6.

Thus confirming the general finding that supertags demote an image in search results (well done Alamy).

For those put off by BHZ, keep in mind this is just a search term like any other.  As Betty has pointed out, it avoids the problem of peanut butter cookie images coming on stream.  I have one image for each pseudo that I can easily recognize (try finding your cookie among thousands of others).

:;, I already ate it.

I checked two images yesterday. They were images not to be found because I didn't look beyond 10 pages. These were images from 2008. I had reprocessed the tags several days ago after doing the search. I deleted some tags and made a couple of phrases. Made my supertags which included the new phrases. After the update, two of the set were on page one and three on page two.

So don't be mad at my "keeping on" statement. It's working ok for me. That said, I realize what you are saying, that results aren't stable. Kind of like we're standing on quicksand.

I look at it like this. Our images have been thrown in a basket, and every day they're being tossed in the air, for us never to know where they'll land until we hear the thump.

I think, just my own opinion, that it is mainly the search engine and not what we're doing with our tags so much. Because I have new work that regularly bounces from page one, second image to page two at the bottom, then back to one, then to three. The basket is being tossed. Which makes tests hard to be trusted. We can't do anything about the search engine.

What I can do, what I can control, is my work where I had some very bad captions that I'm fixing, which is helping, (I can at least find them now) but they'll get tossed around also.

All of that aside, there are definite bugs that need to, must be, be fixed. Check marks disappearing, truncated tags, disappears tags, and so on. Those must be reported and fixed, I agree.

Betty

Allan

Allan,

Since it seems clear that this is a very real problem, we have to expect that Alamy will sort it out.

In the meantime, for what its worth, I am not doing much new keywording, but those that I am keywording I am just putting ordinary tags in, no supertags. However I am not going back and changing supertags to tags in images keyworded over the past copuple of months as that involves about 500-600 images, and I will only have to go back and re-supertag them once Alamy have got their act together

Hope this helps!

Kumar (the Doc one)

Thank you Kumar.

Actually I am not even taking photos at the moment. Not uploading. Not keywording/tagging. Not altering tags or anything.

Complete shutdown.

Allan

I checked two images yesterday. They were images not to be found because I didn't look beyond 10 pages. These were images from 2008. I had reprocessed the tags several days ago after doing the search. I deleted some tags and made a couple of phrases. Made my supertags which included the new phrases. After the update, two of the set were on page one and three on page two.

So don't be mad at my "keeping on" statement. It's working ok for me. That said, I realize what you are saying, that results aren't stable. Kind of like we're standing on quicksand.

I look at it like this. Our images have been thrown in a basket, and every day they're being tossed in the air, for us never to know where they'll land until we hear the thump.

I think, just my own opinion, that it is mainly the search engine and not what we're doing with our tags so much. Because I have new work that regularly bounces from page one, second image to page two at the bottom, then back to one, then to three. The basket is being tossed. Which makes tests hard to be trusted. We can't do anything about the search engine.

What I can do, what I can control, is my work where I had some very bad captions that I'm fixing, which is helping, (I can at least find them now) but they'll get tossed around also.

All of that aside, there are definite bugs that need to, must be, be fixed. Check marks disappearing, truncated tags, disappears tags, and so on. Those must be reported and fixed, I agree.

Betty

Betty, it's a bit like that good old American pastime "bobbing for apples." The slippery apples keep sinking and resurfacing as the participants in the game frantically bob for them.

That said, I'm finding that in general searches -- such as single-word city names -- many of my images are pretty much staying put in search results. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not they have been "supertagged" or not. This leads me to believe that captions (especially), rank, and past sales, are the most important factors at the moment. But beliefs are one thing, and truth is often another...

Betty

Betty, it's a bit like that good old American pastime "bobbing for apples." The slippery apples keep sinking and resurfacing as the participants in the game frantically bob for them.

That said, I'm finding that in general searches -- such as single-word city names -- many of my images are pretty much staying put in search results. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not they have been "supertagged" or not. This leads me to believe that captions (especially), rank, and past sales, are the most important factors at the moment. But beliefs are one thing, and truth is often another...

Lol, agreed. I can't help but believe the biggest, baddest culprit is the search engine.

Betty

Lol, agreed. I can't help but believe the biggest, baddest culprit is the search engine.

What I'm finding is that my images coming up on page one and two of general searches are ones that have licensed. These images tend to stay put as well. This suggests that past sales might be the most important factor -- not supertags, optimization, discoverability, etc. -- when it comes to determining placement in search results.  However, it sounds as if others are having somewhat different experiences with the search engine.

Betty

What I'm finding is that my images coming up on page one and two of general searches are ones that have licensed. These images tend to stay put as well.

Is that Creative or Relevant John?

What I'm finding is that my images coming up on page one and two of general searches are ones that have licensed. These images tend to stay put as well. This suggests that past sales might be the most important factor -- not supertags, optimization, discoverability, etc. -- when it comes to determining placement in search results.  However, it sounds as if others are having somewhat different experiences with the search engine.

I hate to break your bubble John, but of the 6 images I have on page one of that search with 30,000 results, none have been licensed.  Another search of 28.000 has two of my images on page one, but not the one that I sold.

So go figure.

Jill

And in the main thread, I listed where my apple pie images are on page one, and none of those have licensed. And, the phrases I used are supertagged.

That's why I've stated doing it as Alamy has suggested is working for me. Whether rank enters into it I have no clue. Rank could matter or be worthless. All I know is I drank the Alamy coolaid and found it quite tasty.

That said, Mark pointed out in the other thread that some of my tags were truncated. Now that's something I don't like. I've done probably 1800 of my legacy images, which is labor intensive enough without needing to revisit them all again to see what's been truncated. BOO!! HISS!! :D

I hate to break your bubble John, but of the 6 images I have on page one of that search with 30,000 results, none have been licensed.  Another search of 28.000 has two of my images on page one, but not the one that I sold.

So go figure.

Jill

That's OK. Bubbles were made to be burst. I'm still saying the same pattern, though. It's all a mystery to me...

I did a search for Cape Cod lighthouse since I have several images taken and uploaded between 2008 and 2016 that fit the search. I found that most of my images seemed to fall between pages three and nine (in a Creative search, I realized after I'd done all the scrolling - when I got to page 9 I stopped). Interestingly, those from my best-ranking pseudo that have been licensed 2-3+ times were further down than some that were never licensed. Some had the three words in the caption and some didn't but that didn't seem to influence their placement either.  I studied about 22 of them and could not find any patterns to explain where they ended up. Some had duplicate tags and super tags but even that doesn't explain the order. 

I went back in and selectively added super tags to a few (deleted duplicate tags in some and not in others) and changed the captions of a couple so the words "Cape Cod lighthouse" are in order. I also moved some to different pseudos. I will await an update of the search engine to see if anything changes. 

I think at this point I should concentrate on uploading and keywording new work and leave my legacy images as is. I went in and did a ton of super-tagging earlier this year and deleted lots of duplicate keywords. Not sure it's worthwhile working on older images until the search engine stabilizes. 

I agree that the discoverability index will lead to spamming and it seems like a big mistake. I'm also disappointed that images with super tags such as "New England" will  still end up in searches for "England." Kinda defeats the purpose of super tags. 

I did a search for Cape Cod lighthouse since I have several images taken and uploaded between 2008 and 2016 that fit the search. I found that most of my images seemed to fall between pages three and nine (in a Creative search, I realized after I'd done all the scrolling - when I got to page 9 I stopped). Interestingly, those from my best-ranking pseudo that have been licensed 2-3+ times were further down than some that were never licensed. Some had the three words in the caption and some didn't but that didn't seem to influence their placement either.  I studied about 22 of them and could not find any patterns to explain where they ended up. Some had duplicate tags and super tags but even that doesn't explain the order. 

I went back in and selectively added super tags to a few (deleted duplicate tags in some and not in others) and changed the captions of a couple so the words "Cape Cod lighthouse" are in order. I also moved some to different pseudos. I will await an update of the search engine to see if anything changes. 

I think at this point I should concentrate on uploading and keywording new work and leave my legacy images as is. I went in and did a ton of super-tagging earlier this year and deleted lots of duplicate keywords. Not sure it's worthwhile working on older images until the search engine stabilizes. 

I agree that the discoverability index will lead to spamming and it seems like a big mistake. I'm also disappointed that images with super tags such as "New England" will  still end up in searches for "England." Kinda defeats the purpose of super tags.

That could be wise, Marianne, waiting to work on older images until the truncated tags are ironed out, and other reasons.

So after I changed the captions of three of my images to include the exact search phrase "Cape Cod lighthouse" in the caption, they are now all on page 1 instead of pages 3 and 4.  In two of them, I made "Cape Cod lighthouse" a super tag. In one, I did not add it as a super tag and that image is now highest up on the page, though it was lowest on page 4 before. 

I changed the pseudonym of one of my images from my highest ranked pseudo to the lowest ranked one, without making any other changes, and it is still on page 4, hasn't moved at all.  (That pseudo, "MAC Photos" - my initials are MAC - was a big mistake because it is impossible to search for, since it brings up references to the Apple Photo app - it has been highly ranked so I've been removing photos a few at a time, then I get another sale and the rank goes up further since it's got so few photos). Guessing this is a good time to retire it since the algorithms have certainly changed. 

Archived