Sometimes, I stop and think that a reality check is in order ! I look at my own sales, 14 so far this month and think, well, not bad but could be better.... but when you really think about it.... even just one sale from a collection of over 100 million is an achievement.... and that's not even taking into account all of the other agencies supplying images. Maybe we need to stop beating ourselves up about getting "only" x amount of sales and start being proud that even one of our images has been plucked out of the masses on offer !

10 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I think the point has been missed. It's not about who's better or takes more photos. It's who is noticed. A look through some Twitter accounts will show who's friends with who. I've never had a retweet, but some regularly get them, and other friendly comments. It's not a lack of quality or quantity. Everyone can look at Twitter and make up their own minds.

Geoff. 

Not sure that I missed the point, maybe just didn't cover all of the points, or disagreed with some or didn't fully understand others!

Not 100% sure who or what you're referring to re: Twitter (though I think I know)! If it's regarding one big business (for example) appearing to favour a particular contributor here (for example), then that is just in (mutual) interest, surely, and something that all businesses do, no? It's also the same in many (if not all) workplaces: there are always unfair promotions (in all senses) and some who are less capable, but get paid more.  I haven't got the energy to get upset about that sort of thing. I just let them get on with it and do the best I can. Ultimately, if one can't persuade the boss to reward you justly for your efforts, then you have to move on. Although I must admit that it's difficult to apply that in this scenario at this point in history! 

I'm not sure that I agree with quality or quantity not being relevant. There are talented individuals here who do well with either and/or both. Relevance and trend probably play a part as well. Buyers are as human as the rest of us and are doubtless influenced by all kinds of things - including social media. Many are influenced by those able - or willing - to shout the loudest. Keep on telling people that you're the best and many will believe you! Personally, I've never had time for that b******s and prefer to deal with people and their talents as I see them. 

Onward and upward (or sideways at least)!

25 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Sometimes, I stop and think that a reality check is in order ! I look at my own sales, 14 so far this month and think, well, not bad but could be better.... but when you really think about it.... even just one sale from a collection of over 100 million is an achievement.... and that's not even taking into account all of the other agencies supplying images. Maybe we need to stop beating ourselves up about getting "only" x amount of sales and start being proud that even one of our images has been plucked out of the masses on offer !

Very well said! I was recently berated by Jeff G (in his way) for moaning about my (one) sale this month of a mundane image. He basically said the same as you : the client chose my mundane image out of many thousands of others! He's right - and so are you! 

3 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Yes AND no, IMO.

Reliable pseudos with desirable images may get "exclusive" searches = pseudo + tags;

(but I rarely see my name included in my zoomed searches...)

photo editors always under pressure to find new approaches to images, avoid same style all the time;

therefore reliable sources are under pressure to offer new images in new ways, too;

& door always open to first-time-pseudos if image is spot on, IMO...

Oh, hello - talk of the devil!

That's what I meant in my post when I talked about jumping out of the pool and running off the one of the prizes - spot an opening and get in there quick before the older, slower dinosaurs (no offence!) realise that you've made off with the winner's 🏆 

On 23/09/2017 at 21:42, losdemas said:

. Plainly, they are in Alamy's UK newspaper scheme, which helps promote their name and 'brand'.

Being in or out of the Newspaper scheme has no impact on the success or otherwise of LIVE news images. Live news images are licenced under a different pricing regime.

km

2 hours ago, RedSnapper said:

Being in or out of the Newspaper scheme has no impact on the success or otherwise of LIVE news images. Live news images are licenced under a different pricing regime.

km

That's not what I meant, Keith.  I was just trying to say that having a higher volume of images "out there" (especially when those are directly attributed via a tagline or similar) will get you seen more.  I wasn't talking about success or relative benefits of NS or Live News (about which I have limited experience).

They may get you seen more. but a LiveNews image stands on its own merits..., honestly, previous by-lines, in themselves ,  count for nothing.

A newspaper PicEd couldn't give a fig for who's made the photo, as long as it fits the bill...

If you're consistently seeing the same by-lines, all it means is that those photographers  are consistently coming up with the goods

km

I don`t Tweet. I upload images to Alamy News and let them and pic editors do the rest. I`m not based in the UK, but Alamy

News sales always pay for my flights, beer..., when i return for 2/3 week stock shoots. 

Joe

1 hour ago, RedSnapper said:

They may get you seen more. but a LiveNews image stands on its own merits..., honestly, previous by-lines, in themselves ,  count for nothing.

A newspaper PicEd couldn't give a fig for who's made the photo, as long as it fits the bill...

If you're consistently seeing the same by-lines, all it means is that those photographers  are consistently coming up with the goods

km

Gottit and understand and respect your vast experience, ability, knowledge and talent in this area,  but... ;)

...if a picture editor has prior knowledge of a particular 'tog and is aware of and confident in their abilities to produce the goods required, then surely they will seek out the services (or portfolio, whatever) first? Not saying that they're definitely going to use them in every instance, just that that is likely to be their first port of call.  Just seems totally logical to me.

The same applies anywhere in any situation, no? I use the same mechanic to repair and service my car because he offers a good, reliable and honest service at a fair price. It took me a long time to find him. I'm not going anywhere fast. Same with my dentist! :lol:

I accept that we may have to agree to disagree and I'm never going to be in your position, so you'll have a different POV. As you're making the money and I'm not, then I'm likely to be the one to keep schtum on the subject now and accept that this is uniquely a Celtic phenomenon! ;):D

I am upset about not being tweeted, but I don't just mean by the news team, especially as they have tweeted the odd one, even fairly recently. It's very hard to put into words what I mean as it's going to come across wrong, as obviously it already has, and that's the last thing I want. 

One agency I work with has featured my images 3 times on their website cover and numerous tweets and no sales which does annoy me. 

Honestly, I care much more about sales than some empty publicity :) 

Geoff, your photos are great and as long as you're getting regular sales you're doing really well, regardless of the tweets.

On 9/13/2017 at 18:16, losdemas said:

Hey, stop it: this is the moaning thread! ;):lol: Positive news elsewhere, please! :)

I was beginning to despair too.  A $15 sale on the first and then nothing.  Until yesterday.  A fall scene for $450.  Haven't seen those in a while. 

Then three more sales today, one also a Fall scene for $250.  I wish those were more regular.

Although I hate to resurrect this, it looks like I can legitimately come back with this one.  That $450 sale just got refunded. Rats.

11 minutes ago, Atko said:

Slow month me arris - seven views guv, seven views.

That is all.

So how many sales :D ? this is my first month too (i started to upload at the beginning of September). I don't know what is good or bad . For the 5 first days of October I got 137 views and 1 zoom for 564 images in portfolio. to be continued...

Just now, Southmind said:

So how many sales :D ? this is my first month too (i started to upload at the beginning of September). I don't know what is good or bad . For the 5 first days of October I got 137 views and 1 zoom for 564 images in portfolio. to be continued...

A zoom :o

I can only dream of zooms.....

40 minutes ago, Reimar said:

Although I hate to resurrect this, it looks like I can legitimately come back with this one.  That $450 sale just got refunded. Rats.

That's a damned shame mate, but I still think that putting exact figures and sales types non our licence sales doesn't do us any favours on a public forum sometimes.

1 hour ago, mickfly said:

That's a damned shame mate, but I still think that putting exact figures and sales types non our licence sales doesn't do us any favours on a public forum sometimes.

Maybe so.  I would think that would be more of a problem with our many $5 sales.  If we reported more $450 sales, that should only help.

No slow month, but a pretty slow year. Added new pics from a journey to Chile in spring which increased views, but had only 2 sales within last 12 month. Views ~ 8500, 60 zooms. Sharp sales reduction at another agency as well.

Anyway, its a lottery for most of us, for some a business.

Archived