John Mitchell

Slow month?

After a great month last month (August), September has stumbled off the starting blocks for me :(.   Plenty of zooms but no action!

29 minutes ago, Michael Ventura said:

After a great month last month (August), September has stumbled off the starting blocks for me :(.   Plenty of zooms but no action!

I find that to often be the case, a particularly good month is followed by a not-so-good one.

Sale #5 showed up today, so I'm now officially halfway to my monthly average of 10 sales. This has been the magic number for about two years. Sometimes I think it's voodoo. Not complaining, though. There are much worse scenarios.

• Upvote 2

9 sales so far this month and 17 zooms so, with only half the month gone, I'm not complaining about things being slow in September.

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I find that to often be the case, a particularly good month is followed by a not-so-good one.

Sale #5 showed up today, so I'm now officially halfway to my monthly average of 10 sales. This has been the magic number for about two years. Sometimes I think it's voodoo. Not complaining, though. There are much worse scenarios.

Yes, it does seem to see-saw like that.  Sales are trickling in but most are low value, none over $100. 

23 hours ago, John Richmond said:

9 sales so far this month and 17 zooms so, with only half the month gone, I'm not complaining about things being slow in September.

Similar story here, another "steady as she goes" type of month - 26 zooms, 8 sales, one of which was a healthy 3 figure sale..... 

I have finally had the first sale of the month drop in. $3 distributor sale. Whoo hoo!

So far this month, I got a Snow White (rare $250 book sale) and seven dwarfs (6 single digit sales).

• Upvote 1

I had 13 sales last month; this month only one so far. :( Though zooms and CTR are high (for me, anyway). So. . . hopefully next month is better.

• Upvote 1

One small sale. I had larger single sales this month on microstock. Oh well, at least it's a sale I suppose. ^_^

On 9/15/2017 at 08:32, Michael Ventura said:

Just the opposite for me, August was the slowest month of the year with September being the best month of the year in terms of $$ and sales numbers.  

One small sale. I had larger single sales this month on microstock. Oh well, at least it's a sale I suppose. ^_^

Did someone mention Microstock...? :D

Finally...first sale of the month came in for a nice $100.  I hope this means the cork is out of the bottle. And it was zoomed in the last couple of weeks.  So sales definitely can come in shortly after a zoom.

Edited to add, this shot is one of opportunity.  I came upon somebody doing something, and took several shots.

Edited by Betty LaRue
add text

Very slow month - the first 2 sales appeared this morning for a pathetic $7.51 gross each.  Why do I bother?!!!

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

Very slow month - the first 2 sales appeared this morning for a pathetic $7.51 gross each.  Why do I bother?!!!

'cos you know that another shot of a popular Royal is just around the corner? ;):)

2 hours ago, losdemas said:

'cos you know that another shot of a popular Royal is just around the corner? ;):)

Funny you should say that! :D:P

1 minute ago, GS-Images said:

You recently had loads of sales from whoever it was, lucky you.  :)  I don't know why I keep on bothering either. I've spent the whole day today doing live weather news from 4 locations. A long day and lots of work. So far not a sausage online, so I can only hope for something in print, but being Sunday tomorrow that's unlikely. Of course the usual ones have sales as well as retweets the last few days, but you only get retweets if your name starts with K or S. It's who you know, rather than what you do, at least mostly that seems to be the case, in my opinion, of course. It's extremely disheartening. I'll get reds for that comment but they'll hide behind that and not explain why they disagree.

4 stock sales so far this month (or is it 5?). Also lots of uncleared funds over the 45 days minimum, and several uses not logged from a certain national newspaper. I'm not in the slightest bit surprised.

Geoff.

I've often thought this - the people with the most sales will be revisited by the various publications time after time, which is great for them, but bad for the rest of us.  All that work with nothing to show for it is very frustrating.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colblimp said:

I've often thought this - the people with the most sales will be revisited by the various publications time after time, which is great for them, but bad for the rest of us.  All that work with nothing to show for it is very frustrating.

That's just the way it is. You've either gotta accept it or - if you can - try to overturn them! ;) Be a harsh, nasty businessman (in a nice way)! 

I have (at least) three contributors here with whom I am in direct competition for local shots of the type I take in my area and with whom I try to compete. One is a contributor to this forum (hi! :)), the other two are not. Those two, in particular, are constantly mentioned in the 'Have you found... ' threads because they are continually in the national press. Plainly, they are in Alamy's UK newspaper scheme, which helps promote their name and 'brand'. I have chosen not to be (for my own convoluted reasons), but I do understand and appreciate that, if you are prepared to take the double hit of low prices and image theft - and/or are constantly on the ball and prepared to follow up the abuses (and not let it get to you), then a non-stop barrage of submissions to the press will eventually get your name noticed and people sitting on image desks will seek you out as a first call when looking for a certain type of image or from a certain locale. 

Blimey, that was a long sentence! 

You're absolutely right : the more you sell,  then, erm, the more you sell. That's just the way it is and always has been. If you're like me and (for whatever reason) just not able to keep up with it all, then you have to accept that others (especially those with more history in the field) are going to sell more frequently, be searched more often, and as a result will have a higher CTR, and therefore be found more readily and (be more able to) achieve higher prices, when those opportunities come along. 

One of my competitors constantly revisits his (previously sold) locations to update them. I've even aware that he must have noticed my images - as he has stood in exactly the same spot to take an update of his for a local village centre! But I don't begrudge him (he's being harsh in a nice way!) as he's earning a living here (from his volume of sales, that's certain): it's his job to fight for those sales. Anyhow, my long term plan is to take him down (ROFL). 

There will always be stronger swimmers than you - and it's doubly difficult when they started the race long before you! Myself, I'm just happy to jump out of the pool every now and again and run off with the odd prize! 

• Upvote 2

Good words.  I guess it's all about building one's port as quickly as possible with top quality images.  That said, the favourites will always be ahead of the competition.  My goal is to bring everyone down!!! :D

Sometimes, I stop and think that a reality check is in order ! I look at my own sales, 14 so far this month and think, well, not bad but could be better.... but when you really think about it.... even just one sale from a collection of over 100 million is an achievement.... and that's not even taking into account all of the other agencies supplying images. Maybe we need to stop beating ourselves up about getting "only" x amount of sales and start being proud that even one of our images has been plucked out of the masses on offer !

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, GS-Images said:

I think the point has been missed. It's not about who's better or takes more photos. It's who is noticed. A look through some Twitter accounts will show who's friends with who. I've never had a retweet, but some regularly get them, and other friendly comments. It's not a lack of quality or quantity. Everyone can look at Twitter and make up their own minds.

Geoff. 

Not sure that I missed the point, maybe just didn't cover all of the points, or disagreed with some or didn't fully understand others!

Not 100% sure who or what you're referring to re: Twitter (though I think I know)! If it's regarding one big business (for example) appearing to favour a particular contributor here (for example), then that is just in (mutual) interest, surely, and something that all businesses do, no? It's also the same in many (if not all) workplaces: there are always unfair promotions (in all senses) and some who are less capable, but get paid more.  I haven't got the energy to get upset about that sort of thing. I just let them get on with it and do the best I can. Ultimately, if one can't persuade the boss to reward you justly for your efforts, then you have to move on. Although I must admit that it's difficult to apply that in this scenario at this point in history! 

I'm not sure that I agree with quality or quantity not being relevant. There are talented individuals here who do well with either and/or both. Relevance and trend probably play a part as well. Buyers are as human as the rest of us and are doubtless influenced by all kinds of things - including social media. Many are influenced by those able - or willing - to shout the loudest. Keep on telling people that you're the best and many will believe you! Personally, I've never had time for that b******s and prefer to deal with people and their talents as I see them. 

Onward and upward (or sideways at least)!

4 hours ago, Colblimp said:

people with the most sales will be revisited by the various publications time after time, which is great for them, but bad for the rest of us.

Yes AND no, IMO.

Reliable pseudos with desirable images may get "exclusive" searches = pseudo + tags;

(but I rarely see my name included in my zoomed searches...)

photo editors always under pressure to find new approaches to images, avoid same style all the time;

therefore reliable sources are under pressure to offer new images in new ways, too;

& door always open to first-time-pseudos if image is spot on, IMO...

25 minutes ago, Martyn said:

Sometimes, I stop and think that a reality check is in order ! I look at my own sales, 14 so far this month and think, well, not bad but could be better.... but when you really think about it.... even just one sale from a collection of over 100 million is an achievement.... and that's not even taking into account all of the other agencies supplying images. Maybe we need to stop beating ourselves up about getting "only" x amount of sales and start being proud that even one of our images has been plucked out of the masses on offer !

Very well said! I was recently berated by Jeff G (in his way) for moaning about my (one) sale this month of a mundane image. He basically said the same as you : the client chose my mundane image out of many thousands of others! He's right - and so are you! 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JeffGreenberg said:

Yes AND no, IMO.

Reliable pseudos with desirable images may get "exclusive" searches = pseudo + tags;

(but I rarely see my name included in my zoomed searches...)

photo editors always under pressure to find new approaches to images, avoid same style all the time;

therefore reliable sources are under pressure to offer new images in new ways, too;

& door always open to first-time-pseudos if image is spot on, IMO...

Oh, hello - talk of the devil!

That's what I meant in my post when I talked about jumping out of the pool and running off the one of the prizes - spot an opening and get in there quick before the older, slower dinosaurs (no offence!) realise that you've made off with the winner's 🏆 

What;s your Twitter account Geoff?

I do see two tweets of your images sent out by AlamyLiveNews twitter account this summer

km