Alamy – what has happened to the Search Engine ??

I don't see how that would work.  Essential keywords are supposed to be equivalent to supertags.  So no disadvantage there. 

As far as adding a few extra supertags - generally also impossible for those of us with duplicate tags in the new AIM.  How would you turn off only the extra supertags anyway?

I think the captions have very high search importance - which i can see why that is a good thing as many spammers of images tend to use two or three words in captions - so this is a way to relegate their images

Problem for me is I don't spam, i use full captions, and my images are sinking to the end of searches

There are many questions being posed on these forums and one would have thought Alamy could round them all up and publish a comprehensive response ( we don't need the algorithm) to provide clarity to those seeking answers.

I will wait for that, rather than wading through the forum of ever increasing conflicting information.

Oh and hopefully my images will start to rise from the depths - i have no god given right to appear high in searches - but i do have a right to appear ahead of some of the images ( not relevant and/or spammed) as I used to.

My zooms and sales have pretty much disappeared in the last 3 weeks - so clearly it isn't for me

I just wonder whether the search engine is simply not picking up super tags properly - ie just treating them as ordinary tags? It might explain why many of us are finding that newly key worded submissions are appearing rather lower down in searches than older images?

I am aware that there have been some contributors who have felt that a super tagged image has been highly placed in searches - would someone be willing to (temporarily) make that tag an ordinary tag rather than a super tag and then see after a day or do if it's made any difference to it's search position?

(And let us know!!)

Kumar

Hi Doc,

I have edited my image HF9KRT and given it an an ordinary tag for the search term santa face. I will give it a couple of days for the system to update and compare the previous result.

Craig

Hi Craig - what did you find when you did this?

Cheers

Kumar

Ok, having taken the supertag status away from santa face there is no change to the position of my image it is still in the same position 2nd image on page one.

There must be some other dark force keeping it that high up in the search out of 25036 results.

Craig

Hi Craig!

Thanks for doing that! Much as I thought.

Is there anyone else who would turn a Super tag into an ordinary tag on an image which is reasonably highly placed in a search for the word/words in that super tag who could confirm this?

The more information we have to send to Alamy the better!

I will give it a go myself when I am back!

Thanks

Kumar (the Doc one)

I just wonder whether the search engine is simply not picking up super tags properly - ie just treating them as ordinary tags? It might explain why many of us are finding that newly key worded submissions are appearing rather lower down in searches than older images?

I am aware that there have been some contributors who have felt that a super tagged image has been highly placed in searches - would someone be willing to (temporarily) make that tag an ordinary tag rather than a super tag and then see after a day or do if it's made any difference to it's search position?

(And let us know!!)

Kumar

Hi Doc,

I have edited my image HF9KRT and given it an an ordinary tag for the search term santa face. I will give it a couple of days for the system to update and compare the previous result.

Craig

Cheers

Kumar

Ok, having taken the supertag status away from santa face there is no change to the position of my image it is still in the same position 2nd image on page one.

There must be some other dark force keeping it that high up in the search out of 25036 results.

Craig

Hi Craig!

Is there anyone else who would turn a Super tag into an ordinary tag on an image which is reasonably highly placed in a search for the word/words in that super tag who could confirm this?

Thanks

Kumar (the Doc one)

I've done that already.  I have 5 images.  All have the same tags except that one of them has some of these tags as supertags.  The image without supertags shows in a third place out of 416 images and the ones with supertags show in 22 place, 41st place, 60th place, 79th place.  These are new images uploaded last Thursday, cleared QC on Friday, went on sale yesterday. 

EDIT to add that I'm waiting for the next system update to see if anything changes.

(And let us know!!)

Kumar

Hi Doc,

Craig

Cheers

Kumar

Craig

Hi Craig!

Thanks

Kumar (the Doc one)

I've done that already.  I have 5 images.  All have the same tags except that one of them has some of these tags as supertags.  The image without supertags shows in a third place out of 416 images and the ones with supertags show in 22 place, 41st place, 60th place, 79th place.  These are new images uploaded last Thursday, cleared QC on Friday, went on sale yesterday. 

EDIT to add that I'm waiting for the next system update to see if anything changes.

Assuming the captions of these images are all the same, it suggests the new search engine is currently giving SuperTags a lower importance than Tags? If true the system is clearly not working at all well, or have I misunderstood? Maybe there are some other differences between your images (e.g. sales/views/zoom history?) that are now being taken into account, or are they all new images?

(And let us know!!)

Kumar

Hi Doc,

Craig

Cheers

Kumar

Craig

Hi Craig!

Thanks

Kumar (the Doc one)

Assuming the captions of these images are all the same, it suggests the new search engine is currently giving SuperTags a lower importance than Tags? If true the system is clearly not working at all well, or have I misunderstood? Maybe there are some other differences between your images (e.g. sales/views/zoom history?) that are now being taken into account, or are they all new images?

They are all new images, uploaded to Alamy at the same time with identical captions.

Archived