The Image Manager thread

Dont understand if i search for pictures of mine from say Portugal, a surfer and a photo of a green door, a photo of a fishing boat all seem to share the same keywords !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

so 6336 images to re keyword ?

This cant be correct pleaseeeeeeeeeeee !

Thank you for the alert to the change.

My QC rank is two stars out of three. Since I've never failed QC, I wonder what I have  to do to get three stars. :unsure:

Somewhat alarmed to see nearly all my images have 'poor discoverability' with no indication as to precisely  why. I'm guessing I will need to manually set supertags on all 2800 images to reach Nirvana. :(  

Where do you see QC rank?

Edit: Found it. I was looking in Image Manager not in My dashboard

In "Image manager" there is a bar under each image which shows coloured line depending on "Discoverability".

Allan

Dont understand if i search for pictures of mine from say Portugal, a surfer and a photo of a green door, a photo of a fishing boat all seem to share the same keywords !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you have more than one image selected, all the keywords are shown- keywords common to allimages appear in black, otherwise they're grey.

Just clear the selection and look at images individually. Nothing is changed.

Suggest we all go to the "Help" tag on "Alamy image manager" and click on the dropdown "Instructions" then bookmark it for future reference.

Allan

It doesn't tell you how to copy and paste.

AFAICS the old trick of having two MI windows open and copying between them doesn't work. You can't have a selected image from a search and images from a new sub on screen at the same time.

Open another window, as I do, alongside. Copy from one paste to the other. That is what I used to do. Not tried it yet with new tools. :mellow:

Allan

Let me know if it works Mark.

ITMA

That's what I used to do. It doesn't work now. Only 30 characters (presumably the limit of the tag size) will paste into the new box.

DAMN! Thanks Mark. :mellow:

Allan

The problem is that search and filters can't "currently" be combined according to the pdf.

There is a workaround but you have to show all images and scroll down and select the one with the KWs you want to copy. Then back up to the new image and click the grey KWs you want.

The problem with that is that if your target image was taken a while ago it's a long scroll. The only other way is to copy and paste 30 characters at a time. That needs to be fixed.

Suggest we all go to the "Help" tag on "Alamy image manager" and click on the dropdown "Instructions" then bookmark it for future reference.

Allan

AFAICS the old trick of having two MI windows open and copying between them doesn't work. You can't have a selected image from a search and images from a new sub on screen at the same time.

Open another window, as I do, alongside. Copy from one paste to the other. That is what I used to do. Not tried it yet with new tools. :mellow:

Allan

ITMA

That's what I used to do. It doesn't work now. Only 30 characters (presumably the limit of the tag size) will paste into the new box.

Allan

The problem is that search and filters can't "currently" be combined according to the pdf.

There is a workaround but you have to show all images and scroll down and select the one with the KWs you want to copy. Then back up to the new image and click the grey KWs you want.

The problem with that is that if your target image was taken a while ago it's a long scroll. The only other way is to copy and paste 30 characters at a time. That needs to be fixed.

Thank you for that information Mark. I have been sidetracked so may not get back to this till much later today.

Allan

Seems to me that the more you keyword spam the more discoverable your image is.  I have only 22 images with good discoverability and those are the ones when I have many many tags, which these days I would have not added half of them.

It's just the same as before. i.e. More views doesn't necessarily equate to a better rank, indeed adding many keywords/tags may harm it.

Hi All 

Are there any instructions as to how the new system works any links to instructions would be gratefully accepted.

Just so I can be ready when my system updates to the new one.

Regards

Jon

Just go back 3 posts and read Allan's stuff in red!

Time for one more post.

I note that we are able to put our images into a selection of "Categories" now under the optional listing in the new MI.

Also to mark them if they are on Alamy only.

Allan

Hi All 

Are there any instructions as to how the new system works any links to instructions would be gratefully accepted.

Regards

Jon

Don't think he can get that if still on the old system.

Allan

Hi All 

Regards

Jon

Don't think he can get that if still on the old system.

Allan

Thats true Alan

Is there any way I can group mark all my images to be only available on Alamy, rather than having to do them one by one?

Kumar

btw. Good afternoon everybody - glad to see new Manage Images has finally come to us! Sorry for those who dont yet seem to have it

Allan

Allan

ITMA

Allan

Thank you for that information Mark. I have been sidetracked so may not get back to this till much later today.

Allan

MS have just confirmed that it's not possible to copy and paste- there is only one image window and you can't select an image from search and have it appear alongside new images.

This is a big problem for me. Reusing keywords is effectively impossible.

Another problem with adding a new keyword to a batch- if there are more than 50 different words in total you can't add any. You have to delete down to 50 first.

I dislike making a negative comment on the new  "manage images" because I think it's a huge improvement on its predecessor but I think we should exercise caution before touching the keywords of those images which have poor discoverability. One of mine, rated poor, actually appears second on the first page, out of 57,000 images, when searching "euros."

There is no way I am going to improve its discoverability by messing with the keywords. The implication is that we need to assess the *actual* discoverability of each image before looking at re-keywording. For me, with my small portfolio, that's not too much of a problem but I shudder to think how I'd feel if I had many thousands of images on sale.

I would also like to echo the point made earlier that the quest for the green bar is likely to result in unnecessary keywords being added. This is something that's not going to please buyers when they are presented with pages of irrelevant images. 

Nevertheless, the new keyword tools, freeing us from the shackles of 50 characters, are a wonderful improvement and really allow us to home in on absolutely relevant words and phrases.

I dislike making a negative comment on the new "manage images" because I think it's a huge improvement on its predecessor but I think we should exercise caution before touching the keywords of those images which have poor discoverability. One of mine, rated poor, actually appears second on the first page, out of 57,000 images, when searching "euros."

There is no way I am going to improve its discoverability by messing with the keywords. The implication is that we need to assess the *actual* discoverability of each image before looking at re-keywording. For me, with my small portfolio, that's not too much of a problem but I shudder to think how I'd feel if I had many thousands of images on sale.

I would also like to echo the point made earlier that the quest for the green bar is likely to result in unnecessary keywords being added. This is something that's not going to please buyers when they are presented with pages of irrelevant images.

Nevertheless, the new keyword tools, freeing us from the shackles of 50 characters, are a wonderful improvement and really allow us to home in on absolutely relevant words and phrases.

I think you are right. I'm guessing that what we see behind the scenes (discoverability) has nothing to do where our images land on the page. It's there just to encourage us to add more keywords and in many instances it may not make sense to do so but if the Alamy rank is no longer relevant then you might as well go overboard with keywording as you have nothing to lose.

If you have more than one image selected, all the keywords are shown- keywords common to allimages appear in black, otherwise they're grey.

Just clear the selection and look at images individually. Nothing is changed.

Thanks Mark, i will have more time to look tonight. Top tips. Cheers Adrian 

As to the copy and paste, the only thing I can suggest is that in new submissions put in your caption and one common keyword.  Then do a search with that keyword and the image you want to copy from should be in the results. Click on that one and the new one and then click on all the keywords.  About the only way I can think of right now.

Jill

Archived