Why would anyone buy your images here as they can get them on microstock for 25c?

@tarsierspectral (I quoted just that part as the text was getting long)

You have a point, but that's assuming the same picture would sell here just as well. Of course from a buyer's perspective 25c is more appealing, but who's to say they wouldn't search for a similar picture to keep it at the 25c price?

I'm new at this game, and I'm still trying to understand the needs of the different sites, etc. I'm not in it for the money, or I'd be going crazy.

With all respect, but if you're not here for the money, why are you here? This is not a photography club.

Cheers,

Philippe

Let me rephrase that, I'm not obsessed with it, nor do I depend on this to make a living. Is that better?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Why would anyone buy your images here as they can get them on microstock for 25c?

You have a point, but that's assuming the same picture would sell here just as well. Of course from a buyer's perspective 25c is more appealing, but who's to say they wouldn't search for a similar picture to keep it at the 25c price?

I'm new at this game, and I'm still trying to understand the needs of the different sites, etc. I'm not in it for the money, or I'd be going crazy.

With all respect, but if you're not here for the money, why are you here? This is not a photography club.

Cheers,

Philippe

Let me rephrase that, I'm not obsessed with it, nor do I depend on this to make a living. Is that better?

Baco - it's a sensitive subject around here. Think about your day job - if people started doing the same work for very little money - a job you've invested years of your career in - and said 'the money isn't so important to me' - and wages in your industry started going down dramatically as a result (down perhaps 80% or so), that's a similar situation to what many here are facing. 

I hope this goes some way to helping understand the sensibilities of the topic ;-) 

David. 

• Upvote 6

Cheers,

Philippe

Baco - it's a sensitive subject around here. Think about your day job - if people started doing the same work for very little money - a job you've invested years of your career in - and said 'the money isn't so important to me' - and wages in your industry started going down dramatically as a result (down perhaps 80% or so), that's a similar situation to what many here are facing. 

I hope this goes some way to helping understand the sensibilities of the topic ;-) 

David. 

Absolutely, but I'm not insulting anyone, but it seems someone is having a go at me for not taking this as serious as them, or up to their standards.

As for the changes in the industry, that can be said about pretty much everything, not just photography. People tend to get too stuck in the past. It was great, yes, we get it, but those times are gone and now it's different. Let's adapt to the change and try to stand out more, instead of just complaining and feeling nostalgic about what's no longer here.

Anyway, if this is such a sensitive subject I'll just avoid posting altogether.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No need to avoid posting, Baco. You're right in that yes, change does happen. Some of us are lucky, and are in a position where it's easy to adapt. However, that's not the case for everyone.  

• Upvote 2

No need to avoid posting, Baco. You're right in that yes, change does happen. Some of us are lucky, and are in a position where it's easy to adapt. However, that's not the case for everyone.  

Indeed, no need to avoid posting, everyone is welcome here. 

There is value in microstock and value in macrostock - it's fine to have different views and it's important to respect each side.

This thread has gone off topic and is getting a little personal so it's time to lock it. 

Cheers

Alamy