A question about key wording

I have a few photos of a model walking with her back to the camera and since it is winter the model is covered in clothes from head to feet, in such a manner that it is not possible to tell her age. In such a situation is there a keyword that would imply that the picture can be used to illustrate a broad range of age groups?

Like "ageless" or something? IT is clear that it is an adult and not a child, but that's all. 

Thanks 

A.

It's definitely not ageless (or timeless) - this means somebody or something that doesn't look or get old. I can't think of an appropriate single word to describe what you are asking but why not just say adult female or adult woman - presumably the gender is identifiable by the clothing and/or shape.

EDIT - you could describe this as adult woman or female of indeterminate age but I doubt you would want to put that as a keyword phrase

I have a few photos of a model walking with her back to the camera and since it is winter the model is covered in clothes from head to feet, in such a manner that it is not possible to tell her age. In such a situation is there a keyword that would imply that the picture can be used to illustrate a broad range of age groups?

Like "ageless" or something? IT is clear that it is an adult and not a child, but that's all.

Thanks

A.

Maybe easier to forget trying to do it in one, and go for several keywords - adult, young, middle aged, senior, old, older, etc etc?

I thought the keyword was a means whereby someone will find the picture, obviously the picture speaks for itself but it needs to be found first. Anyone who is looking for the figure of a generalized female walking alone in the woods would type in _______ keyword together with "woman", "female" or whatever. Thanks to those who responded or will respond.

Literally speaking, mature means fully developed (in other words adult or grown-up) but in general usage it tends to be used as a polite way of saying middle-aged or even elderly as NYCat suggests. So I don't think it is appropriate here in the context intended by Alessandra.

What a lovely pedantic discussion. The point I was making is that the use of the word "mature" will exclude younger women because of its common usage rather than literal meaning which I don't think is intended by the OP - the intention is to denote somebody of indeterminate age.

In a system where a tiny number of images are seen constantly and most others are buried for good, there is no way one could "speak for itself." Keywording is our only chance to get our work in front of most Alamy buyers. What needs to be done here is to search on your proposed keywords and see if something similar - at least conceptually similar - comes up. And there are times when the best keyword is no keyword. A few succinct choices may get you to the top of a search while semantic speculation could make you appear very thoughtful, but at the bottom of the search engine heap.

The only word that would fit would be "indeterminate" which is a word I just can't see a buyer using to search.  I think most searches would put "woman walking away from camera" or woman in woods walking away from camera"  "rear view of woman", etc.  So your keywords would be "woman of indeterminate age walking in woods away from camera".

Jill

Woman tends to indicate someone who is older. :)  Woman not girl or youth.

Why not use "female" there is no indication of age at all with that word.

Allan

Agree with MDM in that this is an interesting discussion.

Thanks for all those insights. It is interesting that I used the word "mature" to designate a model that is in his/her 50s or older. But i am also a biologist and I know that mature means adult- has reached reproductive age- and I can see the where those who suggested that usage are coming from. 

I tend to keyword young female models with the words "female" "woman" "girl' "gal" and "lady" to cover all uses, but if an older female only "female" "woman" and "lady", then I add the words "mature" "senior" or "middle aged" and the age group of course.  

The image in question is still in QC. 

This is going little off topic from my original inquiry but is an interesting discussion.

What a lovely pedantic discussion. The point I was making is that the use of the word "mature" will exclude younger women because of its common usage rather than literal meaning which I don't think is intended by the OP - the intention is to denote somebody of indeterminate age.

Detailed rather than pedantic I think. I know exactly what your point was and you're quite right. But we're talking about keywords, not descriptions, and their main purpose is to provide hooks for searchers to land on. Including 'mature' in the keywords is not going to prevent someone looking for a different age group from finding the image. Keywords are not mutually exclusive unless someone specifically uses the word 'not'.

Alan

If it can be used for all ages, maybe use all the keywords - young, middle-aged, old, mature, women, girl - as long as they really are all apt.

Alessandra Was looking for 'a' keyword to describe her image but I agree why not use them all.

Allan

If someone is searching for an image of a "young" or "old" woman and they are so in need of this kind of woman that they are willing to specify this in their search terms, then your image where the age of the woman cannot be seen is unlikely to be of much interest to them. By adding all the "age" keywords, you are just increasing the chances of your image being thrown up in a search result when it isn't likely to satisfy the person who created the search. I would say you should just describe what you can see in the image.

Archived