Nikon tele converters

Sorry coming late to this, I am also considering a t/c for my Nikon 70-200mm f2.8G.

Some useful testing from Nasim Mansurov from Photography Life, produced some IQ figures as follows:

No t/c = 100%

1.4 t/c = 95%

1.7 t/c = 83%

2.0 t/c = 74%

I read this to be that a 1.4 t/c results in no noticeable degradation.

https://photographylife.com/image-degradation-with-nikon-teleconverters

You say in another thread that you are using a D810. I would bet (figuratively speaking) that you would get better results cropping using the 70-200 without any converter than full frame with any one of these 3 attached and still have an image that could be used for almost any general purpose including printing large.

That is even possible with the D750 but to a lesser extent.

Allan

You say in another thread that you are using a D810. I would bet (figuratively speaking) that you would get better results cropping using the 70-200 without any converter than full frame with any one of these 3 attached and still have an image that could be used for almost any general purpose including printing large.

You are quite possibly correct MDM, particularly with the 1.4 t/c. However looking at the 2.0 t/c, would it not be correct that if I cropped an image by 50% in PP, the image IQ would therefore drop by 50%?

I don't know how you are quantifying image quality but a half frame image from a D800/810 will be more than 4800x3600 pixels and will easily print up to >A3+ size without any upsizing at 240ppi. I routinely do portraits with the camera horizontal and crop in post - far more stable with a heavy telephoto lens than hoiding the camera vertically.

Similarly a quarter frame image will be over 3600x2400 and will easily print up to A4 size without any upsizing at 240 ppi. You can crop even further and still get a decent A4 print. For web or news use, you could go a lot further. It's important to use good lenses and technique (focus, camera shake etc) of course. Put a teleconverter behind a Nikkor 70-200 on a D810 - no way - it's heavy enough and you will almost certainly degrade the image - not to mention the expense of the converter.

I was thinking about sharpness. However I now realise that cropping would reduce the overall total image size & total pixels, but would have no effect on the actual sharpness of the remaining part of the image. You may well have saved me from buying a teleconverter!

I was thinking about sharpness. However I now realise that cropping would reduce the overall total image size & total pixels, but would have no effect on the actual sharpness of the remaining part of the image. You may well have saved me from buying a teleconverter!

If you need to improve sharpness do as some others do on this forum. Reduce the long side of the image to 3000.

Allan

I use a Nikon 2X teleconverter (an AF-I version I picked up on e-bay for $75) with the AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 II for my newspaper work all the time, and even with a D800, I can't see a lot of image degradation.  Certainly not enough to notice if you were going to go to print.

That said, I don't even think the 24-70 is compatible with teleconverters.  The one I have goes right into the back of the lens, so I would think there would be serious issues with not having enough clearance for the rear element.  Nikon has a list of compatible lenses of the teleconverters, so check that.

I use a Nikon 2X teleconverter (an AF-I version I picked up on e-bay for $75) with the AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 II for my newspaper work all the time, and even with a D800, I can't see a lot of image degradation.  Certainly not enough to notice if you were going to go to print.

That said, I don't even think the 24-70 is compatible with teleconverters.  The one I have goes right into the back of the lens, so I would think there would be serious issues with not having enough clearance for the rear element.  Nikon has a list of compatible lenses of the teleconverters, so check that.

It would be interesting to see a direct comparison of the same image at the same size with and without the converter. I would have thought that for news use - web or print - the cropped version without the converter would be at least sufficient if not better (as well as lighter and cheaper). I wonder the same about the difference between a cropped image from a D800/810 and the equivalent D500 or other DX camera. I've not seen a comparison.

Here are some shots I did over the weekend.  They're just newspaper stand alone photos, nothing too fancy.  The shots of the climbers are with the 2x teleconverter with a Nikon AF-S 70-200mm f/2.8 II and a Nikon D3.  The guy on the beach is with the 70-200mm without the teleconverter.  It's January in Canada, so the ISO is up in the range 1250.  https://www.dropbox.com/sh/1w9hk589doe3a8a/AAAbYtUyM3s3UcPaayGvOWTVa?dl=0

Archived