THey're three flaming weeks early, that's what they are.

Early? I thought you Brits began celebrating Christmas sometime after the Autumnal Equinox.

Here in the US we frown upon any Christmas ornaments until the moment Santa reaches Herald Square in the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade .

I disagree with all the early hype in the UK. Christmas decorations in the shops and anywhere else should not be allowed before 1st December.

NO! I am not a killjoy. I like Christmas too.

Allan

I've got a friend does her Christmas shopping in August. That's just too organized!. The co-operative settlement I grew up in in Canada used to have an extensive tree planting scheme and we lost a few of our beloved spruce trees to poachers every year. When the Christmas week was over, we pushed the shedding trees into the ground at the front border because we had no sidewalks and the snowplows had  few clear markers where the road should be. But then they paved the roads and built natty little hedges and the road didn't wander so much. Apparently they have snow already and are in for a hard winter.

I've got a friend does her Christmas shopping in August. That's just too organized!. The co-operative settlement I grew up in in Canada used to have an extensive tree planting scheme and we lost a few of our beloved spruce trees to poachers every year. When the Christmas week was over, we pushed the shedding trees into the ground at the front border because we had no sidewalks and the snowplows had  few clear markers where the road should be. But then they paved the roads and built natty little hedges and the road didn't wander so much. Apparently they have snow already and are in for a hard winter.

Usually buy next Christmases greetings cards in the January sales. ;)

I do like christmas really it is that I am just a bit of a Scrooge too. :wacko:

Allan

Thanks, Jill and Ray -- spruce, bonsai or normal, gives me a path to follow. All the tree selling teams I've spoke to in recent years are in fact Québécois, so Canadian trees are most likely what they are selling. Those little ones might be cuttings, maybe.

By now, knowledgable garden folk have caught on that I know a bit about fauna and nothing about flora. When living in Oxfordshire, the only ones who enjoyed my garden were voles. 

A larger image for a better look? Sure:

christmas-trees-on-sale-in-new-york-city

Thanks, Jill and Ray -- spruce, bonsai or normal, gives me a path to follow. All the tree selling teams I've spoke to in recent years are in fact Québécois, so Canadian trees are most likely what they are selling. Those little ones might be cuttings, maybe.

By now, knowledgable garden folk have caught on that I know a bit about fauna and nothing about flora. When living in Oxfordshire, the only ones who enjoyed my garden were voles. 

A larger image for a better look? Sure:

christmas-trees-on-sale-in-new-york-city

Merry Christmas. :)

Allan

They look similar to yews, which feel soft to the hand. Being in pots suitable for planting would fit. My mother had a small yew hedge in front of her picture window, and they looked much like this before she began squaring them off. Might be one of those non-traditional plants that could be decorated then planted.

We used a cedar one year when we couldn't afford the usual. That's probably when my allergies were sensitized to cedar. Woe is me when I'm around them now.

Just a thought.

You have the original picture that could be enlarged and compared.

Edit for tense.

I was able to read them at just above 100%, Ian. They have the name of the supplier, but nothing useful.

What has been useful and interesting is what I've gotten from posting this fir question. Yes, most of the tree sellers are French Canadian, but most of the trees are grown in North Carolina, where 98% of the commercialy grown trees are Fraser Firs. I'm talking about the larger trees now. I can go over to where I snapped the pic, just a few blocks north of my regular Mexican restaurant. But should I believe what the young French Canadian tells me? My son, stepson, lives in Montreal and is married to a very nice French Canadian. He nor she know a fir tree from a bag of old socks.

I think Jill is right about the little trees: they seem to be White Spruce. This is what happens when a city boy gets mixed up with nature.   :wacko:  

tractor-mounted-tree-planting-machine-pl

These will be Christmas trees in a few years' time (Nordmann's firs) - three men are hiding under the tarpaulin feeding the planting machine. Must keep an eye on this - only a few miles from where I live.

Yeah, and a few weeks after they've been used as Christmas Trees ....

a-man-loading-tree-branches-into-a-mobil

Archived