Destroying to Make the Picture

Bill Brooks

On 11/27/2016 at 04:15, AlbertSnapper said:

Last month I was at the 9/11 Memorial in New York.

Many people there felt compelled to pose for photographs with a cheesey smiley face whilst doing that V sign.

To me it was as though they had no empathy for those who'd lost loved ones.

My dad's been a firefighter for over 22 years. I really detest this lack of respect for New York's Our Nation's Bravest.

The trouble with all of this is how it reflects on anyone carrying a camera, or taking a photo. I seem to get one of two reactions. Either interest eg “are you from the papers”, or frowns. I just hope the more negative reactions don’t become more numerous and photographers begin to feel they can’t carry a camera out in the open.

Regards the V sign as a negative

I believe (although it could be myth) that the palm in V sign as negative or insult is of British (English and Welsh anyway)  origin tracing back to the anglo-french wars of the medieval period when the British excelled in the use of the Longbow with their archers visiting devastating defeats on French opponents who outnumbered them.  As a result of this when the French captured an archer they would amputate fingers to destroy their skill.  This, in turn, resulted in the British showing their contempt by holding up their string fingers to show they still had them and could use them.

I think the obstacles are what make photography so interesting/challenging/fun/life-changing. A painter for instance, paints what he wants to see. A photographer has the look at the imperfections in the world around him and find that special viewpoint where all is beautiful.

12 hours ago, Matthew Johnson said:

I think the obstacles are what make photography so interesting/challenging/fun/life-changing. A painter for instance, paints what he wants to see. A photographer has the look at the imperfections in the world around him and find that special viewpoint where all is beautiful.

Or you make it yourself without destroying anything.

Allan

On 11/27/2016 at 09:40, Ed Rooney said:

We seem to have drifted away from the OP.

The writer in Bill's link say: "I’m aghast. This tree and several others were broken off like this for no other reason than to make a picture; they are not in the way of anything like a path, but are broken off to clear the view—as is obvious standing there for the line of sight. Someone simply broke down what was “in the way”. 

It's "obvious" to me that the writer is assuming what happened. There are many other possibilities that could result in a broken limb. There are a number wild animals native to the Lundy Canyon that could have broken off the branch. As seen in the image below, beavers have built a number of dams in the canyon, and as you can see, they break off branches to do this. 

Also, in the image posted, a cleared, better view was not in fact created. Now I do NOT know what actually happened. But the guy who posted the text  and picture doesn't know what happened either. 

420099.jpg

Actually, the writer addresses the beaver (Castor canadensis) possibility and shows in photos that beaver gnaw off branches, they don’t break them. The broken branches were broken intentionally and by Homo sapiens.

Somebody (you know who you are) went to a whole bunch of old threads yesterday and confused some of us for a while because threads from years past were showing up as new.

Paulette

1 minute ago, geogphotos said:

Breaking a tree branch is certainly thoughtless but it is hardly an environmental disaster. 

Is breaking 10?  100?  1000?

Each individual looks at their small piece of damage and considers it nothing serious - but you have to multiply the individual by tens of thousands and the damage all adds up.

Just now, geogphotos said:

What damage is that? Snapping a branch does not damage a tree. It just looks unsightly.

And increases the chance of fungi infections getting in which can kill trees - and as the original post says its not just broken branches but trampled flora, unclosed gates, and just simply the sheer amount of footfall.

I walk across a field and after a couple of hours, you cannot see where I walked.  If 1000 people follow me a clear path is worn.

Like most moral issues it is not a simple case of right and wrong but the question of how much is too much - and what is our own personal responsibility towards the greater accumulative damage

Archived