I see that a caption can be seen in its entirety when hovered over as a preview but when clicked for the new full size pop-up, the caption at the top stops at about 73 characters while Description is there from top to bottom.

I can't recall if this is a new feature or whether it's a continuation from days of old. But does the buyer see the whole caption - apart from the preview - only when they've downloaded? Much of my current uploads have been as Reportage and I try to take advantage of the 600 characters meaning the first 73 invariably don't give much information - unless I now start ensuring the first sentence is a precis.

There was an item somewhere recently that explained viewable captions .. 

Rgds,

Richard.

Edited by Richard Baker
  • Upvote 2

The caption was for 'Who, Where, Why, What and When' - the description was for you to flesh-out with additional information. When a picture editor sees an image on his browser there is a brief caption viewable  - he has to do a certain amount of scrolling to bring up the IPTC description field if the caption and image have grabbed him - I suspect you already knew that - Alamy are the only ones who can tell how they've arranged things for their buyers.....

• Upvote 1

Richard Baker, thanks for asking that. I noticed that much info in my Live News captions is cut off in Zoom window, and was wondering what the easiest way was to see the rest of caption.

• Upvote 1
Guest geogphotos

If this isn't going to change it makes sense to change the way we write captions. 

I hope that it will change. Alamy have certainly been made aware of the issue.

It would be nice to know if this is a glitch or intentional - and how would it be intentional to cut off the caption?

• Upvote 1

It would be nice to know if this is a glitch or intentional - and how would it be intentional to cut off the caption?

Which is my point, because as we know, a sale can be made or lost on a lack of, or poor caption. But if the information is there but can't be read - well ..

Richard.

• Upvote 2

Which is my point, because as we know, a sale can be made or lost on a lack of, or poor caption. But if the information is there but can't be read - well ..

Richard.

I had noticed it too. Would be good to hear from Alamy.

• Upvote 1
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm not seeing any Descriptions either. Or am I missing something?

You can see the description at the bottom of the window IF a description has been entered during keywording. On my new submissions I am putting the caption in the description field in addition to the caption field. I'm hoping I won't have to go back and do it for older submissions. Waiting to see if Alamy fixes this. Maybe they could tell us their plans?

Paulette

• Upvote 1