Is there a reason that competitors are filling the Daily Mail pages now, with no Alamy images to be seen?

Presumably they're getting a better deal elsewhere. Coincidentally I've had no sales so far this month. Maybe more than the Mail have done a runner.  :unsure:

I saw that discussion  but put this here in the hope that Alamy might address it.

Whoops! Alamy have moved your thread.

Allan

I have quite a bit of experience working with newspapers, and believe me they are really fickle. Anyone depending on them for regular income is on shaky ground. A sink hole can open up at any time.

Edited by John Mitchell

i hope alamy doesnt address it. the only way is to go cheaper , before we know it agencies will be paying the mail to use thier photos. We are better off without them

• Upvote 2

With 15 sales to the Mail at less than £70 in revenue to me, I'm not going to miss them if they are gone.

That much? Only about $3 net usually.

• Upvote 1

The best business advice I've been given was to never compete only on price. A business consultant once quantified it for me - he claimed that if around 40% of enquiries walk away because of price, your pricing is about right.  

To my mind, letting some customers go because they won't pay enough just makes good business sense.  

• Upvote 3

Still seeing Alamy pics in the Evening Standard but other agencies are getting an equal share and, sometimes, a bit more.

The main advantage for me was that it boosted sales and it must have had some positive effect upon rank. Financially not much of a loss, and it did hurt to see those special images that you had sweated to obtain sell for peanuts.

Won't be sad at not having to look through the Mail website looking for Alamy pics. I was blocked from commenting on the articles (no explanation, just couldn't do it) presumably because my views differed considerably from those of the editorial team.

Just filed an "unreported use" email with Alamy for a Mail Online use from 2009 ... 

• Upvote 1

The main advantage for me was that it boosted sales and it must have had some positive effect upon rank. Financially not much of a loss, and it did hurt to see those special images that you had sweated to obtain sell for peanuts.

Won't be sad at not having to look through the Mail website looking for Alamy pics. I was blocked from commenting on the articles (no explanation, just couldn't do it) presumably because my views differed considerably from those of the editorial team.

I am not sure that those very small sales helped rank as AR seems to be influenced by average sale price, unless Alamy ignored them in the calculation of course.  I shall only miss them in that they were often used many times so the overall price added up in time.

Pearl