News - thank you forum folks and news team

This is a local site here in NYC that specializes in these type stories:  https://mail.google.com/mail/?hl=en&shva=1#inbox/13fd4b33796493a1

Keith has a "nose for news."  :)

Ha.....i guess...

my photos of people in the hot weather from friday and yesterday are running in 6 uk papers today. Weather (good or bad) is a consistent feature of Uk newspapers..

It's not 'hard' news, but it runs

km

What I'm curious about is how much the french newspapers use Alamy images. Or any other news outlets other than the UK.

Last night, I made the effort of getting down to the 14th July celebrations in Tours. Was very pleased with one image of an official.

Keith, you have certainly sparked something of which I am planning to keep on pursuing in addition to what I normally do :D

What I'm curious about is how much the french newspapers use Alamy images. Or any other news outlets other than the UK.

Interesting question. My gut reaction is: in France probably never. You live in France: have you ever seen one?

In the Elle or Elle Decoration, yes, but not a lot: mainly in articles originating from other editions, like the Canadian or the US.

To test your question I ran 100 recent, but random, editions of

Le Journal du Dimanche

L'Equipe

La Provence

Le Journal du sud Ouest

Le Parisien

El-Watan

Le Figaro

Libération

Le Monde

Les Echos

L'Humanité

20minutes

La Tribune

La Croix

Le Buteur

Le Républicain Lorrain

Questions internationales

La Gazette ( B)

La Nouvelle Gazette de Charleroi ( B)

Le Temps Algérie

through Adobe Reader and found none.

These were all true pdf's with proper captioned images (not like UK newspapers).

I included some sports newspapers and some papers from the weeks that Wimbledon was on.

The result: zero Alamy

(100 is of course a very small sample)

wim

Maybe check your Summary of items sold - set to all.

Mine: 1 sale ever to France: a textbook 1/8 page for $97

edit: the smileys are supposed to mean (Belgian)

I just hate it when a program (or a camera) thinks it should do the thinking - and decides things for me.

I checked my sales since 2005. Appears I have only sold 7 images specifically in France via Alamy, 5 of these were of subject matters shot in France (and 3 of these sold this month). None of the sales show as newspaper, all are Editorial, books. None of my Tour de France sales have sold in France. Different story with one of my other libraries where I have multiple sales in France, including newspapers and news websites. I can only surmise that Alamy is possibly not as well represented in the French market as the other company.

"Surely there is a market somewhere for news images coming out of France."

For the sort of imagery that sell by the bucketful in the UK, probably not .....
I can imagine two situations where French imagery could find a UK press market:

- when activity in Franjce is directly afffecting UK interests (think strikes/protest/buring sheep/air traffic control/ports)

- when the image is funny/quirky/odd and fits into the UK stereotypical view of the French (think man in beret eating snails...) - and then only if France is somehow in the news in general (maybe at Presidential election times)

km

(kids jumping off jetty into sea pix i made saturday running in Guardian/Times/Express print editions today)

also bear in mind that AlamyLiveNews works in two ways:

passive: you upload to the newsfeed and hope that buyers come and search/browse and chose your image(s)

active: you upload to the newsfeed and the AlamyNews team pick and chose the images that they think are of interest and they send them out to the relevant picture desks at the national/regional papers

your chances of getting work used are much, much higher if your images are in the 'active' stream

km

passive: you upload to the newsfeed and hope that buyers come and search/browse and chose your image(s)

active: you upload to the newsfeed and the AlamyNews team pick and chose the images that they think are of interest and they send them out to the relevant picture desks at the national/regional papers

your chances of getting work used are much, much higher if your images are in the 'active' stream

km

I assume that the entry point is the same for either stream,  and the choice of stream is solely down to the AlamyNews team?

km

I assume that the entry point is the same for either stream,  and the choice of stream is solely down to the AlamyNews team?

How would you know if Alamy has pushed out your photos to picture desks?

In the have you found images June thread

Sprocket just reported these two from Le Figaro:

Posted 2 hours ago

Le Figaro 17 mai 2013, p25
D3GW50.jpg
D3GW50 Tokyo, Japan, urban scene in Akihabara electronic district. Crystite licenced

Le Figaro 28 juin 2013, p23
BCHM8R.jpg
BCHM8R Heavy traffic in Munich Germany Moon Yin Lam

wim

And here another one from Le Figaro in the May thread by Sprocket:

Posted 2 hours ago

Le Figaro 2 mai 2013 p19
D5HGG4.jpg
D5HGG4 Technician repairing a washing machine Minerva Studio

wim

An yet another, now in the April thread:

Le Figaro 22 avril 2013, p36
D3JFJ0.jpg
D3JFJ0 PRETORIA, SOUTH AFRICA: Oscar Pistorius appears for his bail hearing in the Pretoria Magistrate Court on February 20, 2013 in Pretoria, South Africa. Oscar Pistorius, who has been charged with the murder after he allegedly shot dead his girlfriend Reeva Steenkamp at his home in Silver Woods last Thursday, is appearing in court today for his bail hearing. (Photo by Gallo Images / City Press / Herman Verwey)  Photographer Nerissa D'Alton Agency Gallo images

wim

Looking for Alamy on Le Figaro in Google Images, I get close to a 100 Alamy images (plus a couple of thumbnail repeats) over the years. So the myth that there are no Alamy images in French newspapers is squarely busted.
As far as I can see most if not all images have their metadata intact, so if you want to know if you have been published in Le Figaro, go have a look here:
http://tinyurl.com/p9nyu8g

wim

yep

only a fraction of the images sent to LiveNews are ever actively punted out again.......have a look at what comes in...to be honest, a lot of it is either rubbish, or up against much stronger material from the agencies, or just too blinking late.....

km

Interesting you say about the rubbisg Keith. When I had a look at the News Feed following your suggestion, I couldn't believe some of the what had been uploaded as "news". 

When i did the TDF stuff, I only uploaded something I would have been happy passing regular QC. I also wanted to make sure that what I did upload look half decent in any case.

Archived