Sign in to follow this  
Phil Robinson

Novel Use - dead or not?

I was under the impression that novel use was dead and gone.

But last week I had a 'sale' for "novel use, India rights", though the country was listed as 'worldwide' and the use was a website.

I didn't think putting a photo on a website was a particularly novel way of using it and there is surely a regular licence for that.

Maybe it was a typo.

• Upvote 2

Me too. Same license, same thought.

See also recent discussion http://discussion.alamy.com/index.php?/topic/6527-novel-usage/?view=getnewpost

(On mobile and too lazy to type more)

Ah yes. I too thought that it was for uses that weren't otherwise covered - web use seems to be quite well catered for and not exactly a huge earner at full price.

I have had a few NU licences to India and totally agree they are very un-novel. Looking forward to being able to leave this scheme. It is certainly not a typo, I had some correspondence with Alamy over these - no satisfactory answers though.

According to my thesaurus:

a NOVEL way of making money. 

new, original, unusual, unfamiliar, unconventional, unorthodox; different, fresh, imaginative, innovative, innovatory, inventive, modern, neoteric, avant-garde, pioneering, groundbreaking, revolutionary; rare, unique, singular, unprecedented; experimental, untested, untried; strange, exotic, newfangled.

Or “India rights”.
  • Upvote 2

I certainly hope they aren't being used on the front covers of novels, given the fees involved.